TKR Post op RTKR

Hi Sue, nice to read your update. My left knee was 2 yesterday and my right is15 months old. I am having trouble around both knees which seems to be caused by tendons, ligaments or other soft tissue problems which really got bad after I had a nasty bout of shingles in spring. The antivirals which I had to take warned they could cause muscle and joint problems and this seems to be what I have. I just wish it would go away. We had to have our dog put to sleep this week so I shall have to be very disciplined about getting out every day for a walk. All the best, maybe you will take on the Cotswold way and pay me a visit.
 
17 months post op update - I am still having ongoing problems with scar tissue, ligament stiffness & clawing on my right toes. I went for physio/massage about 6 weeks ago & was told I need to stretch the muscles above & below at the back of my knee. I don't seem to be able to motivate myself to do this. I think I just need some words of encouragement from fellow people on this forum who may understand what I am going through & get me thinking positive again.
 
:wave:Sue. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having some problems. If you find yourself not being motivated then maybe a change of stretching exercises could be in order. Perhaps you might want to go to a pool and do some exercises there or maybe to some yoga classes to learn some simple stretches at the level of your ability. Even a nice walk in a park or shopping district where you can concentrate on taking long, full strides hitting with your heel and rolling off your toes.
 
Hi Sue, I do understand what you are going through, and your lack of motivation. I have very tight muscles and ligaments, which sometimes seize up when I am walking, especially if the weather is very cold. I have been having Physio and massage for months with little success. I have now found a Pilates teacher who will give me private lessons as classes involve lots of kneeling. Could you try to do the same? I have been given lots of stretching exercises to do, but although I have been told 3 times a day, I just haven't the will power as everything just seems hopeless. I can no longer go in water as my epilepsy has been made worse by drugs for osteoporosis, which is depressing me as I found they were doing me a lot of good and most of th stiffness had gone with hydrotherapy and swimming. Is this something you could do? We must both try to think positively, the weather is improving, Spring is here and warm weather may help tight ligaments. Soldier on!
 
Thank you @newlybionic & @Majic for you encourgement, I feel so down in the dumps, exercising has been so hard over the winter, but you are right the better weather is now upon us, so maybe the brighter days will help. Pilates does sound good it's just the first step to get up & go which I find hard. @KarriB - The problem in the feet is as I walk my toes on the operated knee go into a grip mode. I have tried going back to basics heel to toe motion & this has not helped. A friend who does massage has lent me a roller which I put under my leg roll it to stretch the muscles & also has shown me how to massage the scar tissue. I have piled the weight on due to not moving around much, even though I have been sticking to slimming world recipes. Yes, we must try to keep positive Majic & keep spuring each other on. So sorry to hear of your troubles, i do hope the better weather will help you too.
 
I'm not sure if it was suggested before to get a pair of new shoes/sneakers that can be fit to accommodate to your new gait. Some have found they either no longer needed orthotics of a change to them might be needed. I went to a small store in a nearby town that sells only to runners. They fit my sneakers to my new gait. It did helped me quite a bit.
 
Wow! That sounds painful! Does the dr know why your foot/toes react in this way?
 
18 month update - I am due to have some physio next week, hoping that will help with the ongoing problems. At last I am on a positive track & have lost some weight since my last post. I'm looking forward to a holiday at the end of May to sunny / warmer climate in Spain, with lots of swimming & exercise. I have signed up again to go to aqua aerobics to have some fun exercise in the swimming pool. Things are looking positive again
 
Hello Sue,
What a positive report - well done! Have a great holiday, I hope all the exercise classes and swimming help.
Lyn xxx
 
21 Months post op update - Things at last are so much better, it's been a long haul but I have finally come through. I was told it could take up to 18 months - 2 years for a full recovery & they were sure right. I very rarely think about my TKR now, it's still numb on the outside of my knee but somehow I have got used to the funny sensation. I can walk for miles, cycle & climb up hills with ease. For all of you out there who have just started your new journey or further on, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, you will eventually get there, it just takes time, a little longer for some of us but you will get there. Keep reading people's stories it will give you strength to carry on through the bad times into the good times. :roseshwr::yes!:
 
thanks for your update @suemegane. i think it's going to be a long road for me also but good to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
 
I do hope you are not having too much trouble @liam2015 keep positive, exercise & hope that things have been improving since August :)
 
thank you @suemegane. yes, things have greatly improved at 6 months post-op...long pain-free walks and hikes; the only thing i can't do is the full rotation on bicycle but hopeful it will happen when my knee says it will happen.:yes:
 
@liam2015 it will happen with the rotation, it all takes its own time though it is frustrating. I had alot of stiffness at post 6 months, but keep up the hiking. I learnt you can't rush this kind of operation. Keep us posted how you are doing.:upright:
 
awww thank you for thinking of me @suemegane ~ i just tried my bike again today and no improvement but improvement in everything else. i remain hopeful that it will happen. are you still doing okay? who would think it could take almost 2 years to get everything back? i'm happy for you walking, hiking, biking and climbing. you are an inspiration that recovery will happen in it's own time.:biking:
 
If you look at page 24 in my thread @liam2015 you will see that I was at 6 months on my journey before I could do a full turn on the bike, I thought I would never get there but I did. It was at 21months when I would say I had fully recovered, when I began to forget I had had the operation. I still get the stiffness sometimes & the numbness is still there but other than that I am good. Keep the exercises up.
 
Liam, it to me a long time to get right round on my bike. I bought a very cheap static bike from a charity shop, cheap because the tension was broken, but just what I wanted. Put the seat at the very highest setting. Start by going backwards and forwards for 2 minutes or so three times a day. You will find that you will go round backwards before you go forwards. Once you can go round easily, lower the seat a little and repeat. Eventually you will get to the height you need to go round on your own bike. If you can't buy a static bike ask around a lot of people have unwanted ones in their sheds or attics. Good luck, as @suemegane says you will get there in time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom