TKR Post op RTKR

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time. I'm no expert, being at the same stage as you but I'd say rest, rest, rest! It's still so very soon since our ops. Please don't feel guilty or push yourself. Xx
 
Sounds like you are having a rough time too, I feel better now I have had a good cry....it's frustrating that some things I just can't do myself & have to ask others to do. I think I need to be positive & find something to do to take my mind off this today!! Xx
 
Write down all the good things in your life right now and all the progress you've made since your op, like your ability to take a shower! I find that always helps. Smile too. You'll feel daft, grinning away by yourself and that alone will cheer you up. You can think of me, with my ice on my knee and the fan heater on my chest, grinning to myself. I hope the neighbours don't happen to peer in the window as they pass by. :snork:
 
You make me smile Kate, :wave:i'm waving through your window! Funny how even though we are going through a bad time we both seem to get on with it, smile, laugh & keep positive....we have too because that's what we do :console2:xx
 
Just had a lovely shower & it's made me feel so much better. My muscles are loose & I was able to do some leg exercises on the bed....still finding it hard to straighten but able to lift to stretch. The sun is shining so that always makes me feel better. It's lunchtime & I am so hungry, this is all part of the healing process I believe? Still on paracetamol but able to go 5-6 hours between taking them. I only take 2 x codeine if needed at night. Going to walk around house every hour to give my leg some exercise. Tried walking with one crutch but not for me yet! I have never drunk so much tea/water in my life but my body seems to need it.
 
Just had a lovely shower & it's made me feel so much better. My muscles are loose
Yep, a great shower is quite uplifting and can have a great psychological and physiological effect on a person---it washes away the troubles and concerns and can loosen up the quads and hamstrings so that the legs feel better!
 
I'm eating and drinking a lot too.
You're taking way fewer meds than me, Sue. I'm on 2 X paracetamol and 1 X codeine - 3 times a day and 2 X Tramadol at bedtime and the same again at 2 am. Are you pain free taking just paracetamol during the day?
 
Kate, I am only taking paracetamol & this seems enough as my pain threshold has always been pretty good. I have tramadol in the cupboard but have never had to take it & the codeine I have only taken when really in pain, as it is faster acting. @referee54 yes the shower was so good has helped me focus on the good things as Kelpie suggested to do. My appetite has been good ever since I got home ( maybe because i haven't had to cook or prepare anything, as so lucky that Mike OH is doing it for me ) in hospital I only enjoyed breakfast & lunch. I do hope you are feeling g much better too Kate?
 
My appetite has been good ever since I got home
You are lucky and blessed!!

My appetite was so lousy that, after my return home, my darling bride ordered a pizza from my absolute favorite pizza shop. She picked it up and I was very, very excited. I was hoping that I could savor the wonderful aroma and flavor of this pizza---and it tasted pretty much blase'.

Now I have to tell you that I was on major pain meds---Oxycontin---and it had a major impact on my appetite, and it was not until I was not taking it that meals and snacks tasted better.
 
Day 21 post op - I had a really good night, it seem to be more comfortable sleeping on my back & my knee was definately straighter. I had an ice pack behind my knee which also felt good & cuddled up to my trusty hot water bottle. Only had to get up to the bathroom twice, so that was an improvement. Today is a positive day moving onto another level, use one crutch, bed exercises to strengthen quads & also try the SLR if I can. I am going to prepare the veg for a family dinner of shepherds pie. I have just put some washing on & washed up the breakfast dishes. Also got in mind to write the Xmas cards & wrap some of the presents that I bought pre-op. A full day but keeping my mind focused. Have a good day everyone on this forum, try & be positive we will all get there in the end however much time it takes.
 
I feel better now I have had a good cry....it's frustrating that some things I just can't do myself & have to ask others to do.
I was thinking about this---one of the issues that really brings us down is that we have, temporarily, lost our independence and have to rely on others.

It stinks; it really does. Sometimes even the smallest of activities is out of our reach at the time.

I found it very frustrating and depressing, and I would stand by my front window for long periods of time and just watch the world go by.

Your last post is very positive---that is very uplifting.
 
I have no advice, just wanted to say I am sorry about your back and straining your knee. I hope today is a better day.
 
Have a good day everyone on this forum, try & be positive we will all get there in the end however much time it takes.
This is great advice.

And that is one of the issues---many of us are control-type folks, and this recovery, in many regards, is out of our control. The knee seems to have a mind of its own, and it will get us to the destination of being fully recovered, but we are not in control of that, and that is something that is tough for us to get used to.
 
Glad your feeling better today Sue! I've just made Al a fruit cake. Took about 25 minutes and I'm back on the sofa hugging my ice! Don't overdo it, one day at a time! :ok:
 
Day 22 post op - Had more sleep last night, felt really good & was wide awake at 3am so decided to do some exercises on legs, behind knee feels loose so i was feeling really good about it. Went to sit up swing leg off bed & I pulled my back awkward so was in agony again. I sometimes have a doogy back it comes & goes (I have had 3 children!!). Waited for OH to get in from work & he made me a hot water bottle. It feels much better now as i'm up & moving around. Has anyone got any tips how to get off of the bed without twisting so that I can prevent this happening again each morning?? I never really thought before the operation about the weak parts of my body & how it would effect me! I am hoping for another good day today but will take it carefully with the exercises.
 
I kind of slide closer to the edge. Then put my good leg down and grab on to my other knee and guide it off the bed. I had my right knee done and sleep on the left side just make sure your sitting and don't go to fast.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom