TKR Post op RTKR

It's still early days and it often takes longer to achieve knee extension (straightening) than flexion (bending).
Here are a few exercises you could try - just choose one or two that you like and start off by doing them for a very short time. Stop before they hurt.
Extension: exercises for improvement
 
Thank you Celle I will try some of those exercises over the next few days. I just feel alittle lost on what to do best. Should I still be wearing compression stockings as I took them off as couldn't bear the tightness & have put a tube bandage on instead so frightened of blood clots
 
The jury is still out concerning whether those compression stockings prevent blood clots, or not.
If they're uncomfortable or too tight, I think they're doing more harm than good. I removed mine after a few days, because they were so uncomfortable. My surgeon made no comment.

Once you're up and about, the risk of developing blood clots does decrease. While I was in bed, I did plenty of ankle pumps and ankle rotations, to increase blood flow.

My leg was very swollen and stiff at first and I had an ultrasound scan at 6 days, to make sure I had no blood clots (I didn't).
During the US scan, I saw a rapid demonstration of how effective ankle pumps were. I could see the blood vessels in my calf and the blood flowing through them. When the technician asked me to do an ankle pump, the increase in blood flow was dramatic. It almost doubled. It really surprised me to see how effective the ankle pumps can be.
 
Ooh congrats on the shower! It takes so much out of you but well worth it. I shall never take a shower for granted again, ever ever!

Don't worry about not being able to straighten it yet. Mine won't go completely straight yet either. Not possible with the swelling that's still there. We'll get there!
 
Thank you for all your encouragement it so makes me feel better that we are all going through the same things & helping each other...thank you bone smart. Post op - Day 17 had a bad night figity, hot cold, muscular pains & just so glad to be up this morning. Have set myself a goal to do the exercises that have been given. Will now have a sleep on settee to catch up & get rid of this awful headache again.
 
Day 18 post op - woke up after a 5 hour long sleep, no headache this morning so i'm feeling good. Just got muscle pain & slight pain on inside of knee. Was able to do some exercise with rolled up towel to stretch muscles at back of leg & knee, hopefully this will help to straighten knee a bit more...maybe even do more SLR's Looking forward to a lovely shower, sitting the plank style hehe. Going to let the air get to scar today, haven't taken off dressing since staples were taken out (on Tues ) as really don't like seeing it. Have been wearing shorts in the house it's so much easier & don't like anything touching my knee, but if I do venture out will have to wear loose jogging bottoms. Will catch up with you all later today.
 
We're definitely getting there aren't we? I've been wearing shorts since the op too. I've also bought some very very baggy trousers as I can't stand anything touching the wound, the skin around it is so sensitive.

I know the scars are a bit scary but you get used to them. Think of it as a badge of honour!

See you later!
 
So tired tonight, iratiable & my muscles are all tense, just had to come to bed to lay & try to relax. Listening to soothing music but my emotions have got the better of me. Thought I was so strong today & had such a lovely lunch out meeting Kate & OH. Will have a chill out day tomorrow & concentrate on relaxing.
 
Being so tired and sore is the result of your big day, which made you join the ODIC. I bet it was worth it, though!
Having a chill out day tomorrow is the right idea. Spend as long as you can resting, icing and elevating - and don't forget those pain meds, to take the edge off your aches and pains.
 
I'm with you there Sue! This is pay back time for us being naughty today and giggling our way through those scones with clotted cream and jam. I've been lying legs up like a fat sheep in the snow, since I got back! I've had to resort to 2 codeine and I've been on the ice for ages! Chin up chick, tomorrow will be a better day. As Celle said, welcome to the ODIC. We defiantly overdid it today!

Worth it though. And you were strong today! Can't be strong all the time though. :console2:
 
Thank you kelpie we probably did over do it but I did enjoy the cream tea & coming to meet you. Thank you also celle we all need words of encourgement at times like this. Mike has made me a hot water bottle to cuddle up to & I am listening to music so will probably just drift off to sleep now xx tomorrow is another day xx
 
I do hope you can get some rest. When our legs are so swollen it is impossible to get them straight. When PT was here Friday, I was doing my heel slides in the chair and she was getting ready to measure. She asked if I was ready and I said "that was all I could give her since the fat sausage behind my knee was so squished it was about to pop!" Ha! Same goes for the straightening....That fluid pocket I have on the front of my knee is a big obstacle to movement. Here's to a peaceful rest and more comfort. :console2:
 
Part of joining the ODIC is that we are "testing the waters" and reveling in our new "freedom", if you will.

Sometimes (well, most of the time) we simply do too much, to soon, but we discover how great things will actually be when all of issues subside.

It is great getting out and doing what we enjoy so much.
 
Day 19 post op - well last night had a really bad meltdown, but i'm feeling much better this morning. Sitting in my sunny conservatory looking out to the garden, reading & chilling out as much as possible. I have my leg up, with an ice pack on it as it's all hot & bothered. OH has gone out shopping so home alone, nice & quiet & trying to be relaxed. Not allowing any visitors today as just want to be with Mike, he is going to cook me a lovely roast dinner & we are going to talk holidays for next year. My Knee is quite swollen & i can't get it straight. I will try & do a couple of exercises & leg lifts later after a shower. My skin is so itchy & skin peeling so will massage in some cream. Scar is healing nicely & I can now face looking at it ( thank you Kelpie for encouraging me to look at the trophy!) Let's hope day 19 is the turn around?
 
Glad you're feeling better today Sue. I'm ok but my tummy is giving me hell. I'm back on the lactulose as things were definitely not going to plan! Unfortunately it's made me feel very sick and I'm still in bed with my ice to keep me company.

I think yesterday was a bit of an emotional watershed for both of us. Neither of us was prepared for the impact this would have on us physically let alone emotionally and I think our chat made us realise that we're not alone with our feelings and it is ok to have a good cry once in a while. I think we're both still in a state of mild shock!

I was also struck by how lucky I am that our household is so quiet compared to yours. Well meaning visitors and relatives can leave you absolutely exhausted as I found out on day 6 when 5 of them descended on me! It was lovely to see them but the whole experience was quite surreal and I was glad when they left. You need to be selfish and you're right to try and make space for just you and Mike.

We will definitely meet up again, we'll just make sure we're a bit further down the road next time so pay back to the ODIC is not so costly!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree Kate, I bet in a few weeks we will both be much better at coping with all this. Xx Have a relaxing day too take care xx
 
Hopefully you both have better days today. There are so many ups and down during our recovery that I know I wasn't prepared for. You'll be feeling better as time goes on.:flwrysmile:
 
My skin is so itchy & skin peeling so will massage in some cream. Scar is healing nicely & I can now face looking at it ( thank you Kelpie for encouraging me to look at the trophy!) Let's hope day 19 is the turn around?
I think the flaky skin is pretty typical. I know I didn't really have itching but definitely flaky almost peeling skin on the knee. I think it's the stuff they put on it before they operate.
 
My Knee is quite swollen & i can't get it straight. I will try & do a couple of exercises & leg lifts later after a shower.
Remember---please---that you are still in the "Dark Days of Recovery"---and sometimes there are minimal gains---and, unfortunately, there is regression, too. It is all normal and comes with the territory.

Hang in there, and do no sweat or fret about what is happening to you---it is a slow process, but it will be worth it.
 
Day 20 post op - last night had a bad experience I twisted my leg the wrong way while getting it off the bed & had to call for my son to sort me out, the pain was horrible I didn't know which way to turn it. After this when I went to get up in the night I realised I had also hurt my lower back. When OH got in from work he put a heat patch on my back & ice pack on my knee & i dosed myself up with meds. What a state I was in but managed to go back off to sleep. I can no longer sleep on the settee in the day it's too soft & does not give me the support I need. I am up now had breakfast sitting on an armchair with leg up on higher chair elevated. My back is still alittle angry so keeping up with the hot water bottle & heat pad. Not sure whether I should just rest again today or do exercises, it is day 20 & i don't really think I am exercising enough I feel so lazy on this & don't want to end up with a limp or have to have mua..has anyone got any advice on this.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom