TKR Post op RTKR

I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

Can't find my original thread so have started a new one.
We have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum - it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page. The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
@suemegane did you manage to get your shower today? My first shower was the highlight of my year! :yay:
Oh, yes!!! My first shower after my BTKR was the most amazing, wonderful feeling of all time! IO was so very tired of the sponge baths---no matter how good, I just did not feel clean---and the shower---the hot water cascading on my quads as I sat in the shower---loosening up my quads---everything was great!
 
Hi Kelpie . It was a nightmare trying to have a shower....I couldn't swing my leg over so I sat on the edge of the bench that Mike had made & leaned back while he washed my back & hair with the shower then I had a wash down on the bath mat. Maybe next time & when those blessed staples are taken out tomorrow will make life easier. Really on edge tonight with pain & very short tempered.. time to go to bed I think. Hope your day went ok on your own..will catch up tomorrow after removal of staples.
 
Sorry to hear that Suemegane. You will get there before long, try not to get down hearted. I know everything seems such blooming hard work at the moment but it won't be like that forever. I hope you had a better day today and feeling more comfortable without all those nasty staples.
 
Hi @fiona4269 I went through the same thoughts as you, (Am i doing the right thing?) But when the pain is so bad & it interferes with your daily life you really know that it is the right thing to do. At 56 I want to be abe to get on with my life to the full not say leave me here while you all have fun which was what was happening when we went away on holiday. Be positive you know deep down it is right. I am post op day 14 had the staples removed today so knee feels a little sore but I do have more movement to do exercises. Keep positive & you will be fine
 
Hi Kelpie, yes it does feel better now those staples are all out. How does yours feel & hope the journey wasn't too horendous for you. I have had a better day, tomorrow will be the start of getting down to more exercising. My left leg is more troublesome as all the weight has been taken on that. I have to strap it up to go up & down stairs as it clicks & hurts. I have been told that the left will have to be done at some point as it is so worn away with arthritis like the right one was. Not sure I want to think about that at the moment.
 
I'm in the same boat too. Last week, getting my other knee done was a long way from my thoughts but now I'm thinking I'd probably want to get it done in a year, if it lasts that long. My unoperated knee was really bad last week but has improved as my new knee has improved. Glad you had a better day today. :friends:
 
Day 15 post op - woke this morning very stiff but after getting up & moving around it feels much better. Having twinges around where staples have been removed but I suppose that is all normal. Have done some light exercises today but still can't straighten leg to do SLR. Should I be concerned with this at day 15? I have been pushing knee down as far as I can whilst on bed, foot slides, bottom clenches & foot pumps. Has anyone got any suggestions on other exercises?
 
It's early days--it sounds like you're doing just fine.
 
Post op - Day 16 - slept really well last night going 6 hours in one stretch. Going to try the shower again today...let's hope I can get the leg over the bath this time. Tried lifting leg ( brain power ) & the leg lifted only did this once, it pulled below my knee cap...so had to ice up. Each day seems to be a new milestone, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Still hate coming down the stairs & haven't got enough confidence to be able to do it without someone there so each morning get up at 6.30 & my son see's me down before he goes to work, makes me a pot of tea, toast & fruit. Elevate, ice & meds until partner Mike gets up from sleep after night shift. Thank goodness for family.
 
Hi Suemegane. It's hard work isn't it!? Did you see a PT before you left hospital? They should have made sure you were happy on stairs before you left. Give your GP a ring and get them to arrange PT locally for you. I was offered follow up PT at the hospital but it's just too far so I went into my GP the week before the op to get it sorted. The hospital wanted me back after two weeks to their own PT just to be sure all was well and they also did the staples too.

Keep practising your leg lift. Never mind if it's straight or not, that wil come. I found it impossible st first then all of a sudden, I got it. It's mind over matter and we have to learn how to use these new knees afresh. They're slippery lil boogers aren't they! :loll:
 
My GP suppose to be phoning me back today with regards to PT. Yes they did show me a few exercises & I did do stairs before I left, but minds go blank at times. It would be nice to know if I am on track with PT. Hopefully I will go physio at St Margarets hospital Epping they are lovely there, I had physio there a year ago to manage my pain better. You take care maybe one day we will meet up somewhere!
 
I just managed to do 5 x leg lifts how many do you suggest i should be trying to do at one time..
 
Well done you!! 5 is plenty! I was just doing that once a day. I don't do them anymore as I'm constantly lifting my leg in bed, to elevate, shower etc. Overdo it and it'll hurt later so rest and ice now.

Chuffed you've got that sorted!
 
Good morning. I hope you have a better day today @suemegane. Are you scheduled for any PT yet? I have been having home PT since I got home and will have outpatient PT for several months.
 
None at the moment, have been in touch with GP who suppose to be phoning me back. Doing well today thank you
 
I'm still worried about knee not being straight yet. Was able to get in bath to have a shower today so another milestone conquered. So tired tonight think I may have overdone it today. In bed iced up & elevated, time to sleep now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom