Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

Thank you for the tip @Vangheluwec I get as close to the edge as i can, I had my right knee done but sleep on the right! There isn't enough room on the left side of the bed to walk. I have been hooking my left foot under my right ankle & then swinging over but it is the twisting around that is doing it.
 
Can you try to guide it with your hand or use a spare towel or belt to lift it down first. Just wrap it around your foot. I know when I hook it around my other leg it hurts more.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a weak back, also (scoliosis). Since you're a righty plan to enter & exit the left side of your bed. Before sitting up try maneuvering onto your left side first with your spine aligned and both knees bent, then push with your arms to a sitting position as you guide your right leg down with your left as Vangheluwec describes ^. Be sure to push up straight with both arms and don't twist. EDIT: Can someone reposition your bed for you so you can use the left side? Before my RTKR I rearranged my bedroom for this reason.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 23 post op - The deep aching, throbbing & shooting pains in my leg have got worse. Last night I had to up all my meds, I iced up most of the night. I was sure that things were getting better, but maybe spoke too soon? Today I have woke with a bad headache & just feel drained! I didn't over do it yesterday so what could it be? These highs & lows are really getting me down!
 
Oh dear! Sue, you really are my knee-sister aren't you? My knee ached all night and was still sore this morning which is unusual. Seems we both think that minimal activity isn't overdoing it, only to be proven wrong. I think it's all ups and downs with this knee thing. Keep your chin up and be kind to yourself today.

@Clipless - good advice, it hasn't occurred to me to different for left and right.
 
@suemegane sometimes we go backwards for a day or two. Just part of the healing process.

23 days may seem like forever but with the amount of repair the body is going through it has not been long at all.

Keep taking good care of yourself and in a few more days you should begin to notice small improvements.
 
My first physio appointment all booked for Tuesday so we will see what they have to say about do's & don'ts at this stage. I'm feeling much better being up & walking around with one crutch. I haven't elevated or iced today as the pain seems to come back if I do this, so giving it a different approach....will feed back later how I am getting on.
 
@Bikesouth I think it's what was said yesterday sometimes we are impatient because we forget what the operation intailed. Healing is looking good on the outside but we forget that healing is still happening deep inside.
 
Day 24 post op - My knee seems a bit looser on waking this morning, I iced it up through the night & elevated. I tried to lift my leg off the bed last night & couldn't do it so got myself worried. I will work on exercises for this today. A question : When sleeping should i still sleep on my back with leg straight, elevated as I am not comfortable like this &sometimes wake & leg has gone numb. Had flu jab yesterday & nurse was worried that my knee is still swollen & I can't straighten my leg, she said i have to watch my hip & posture so pleased I have physio booked for Tuesday.
 
@suemegane
You can sleep any way you feel comfortable.

It was only about Day3, still in hospital, when the nurses put me on my side to sleep, with the operated leg uppermost and a pillow between my legs. When I got home, hubby would help me to get into that position for sleep. I usually rolled onto my back at some stage during the night.
 
Thank you @Celle I will try sleeping on my side tonight I think I will be more comfortable, hopefully I may sleep longer.
 
Day 25 post op - woke up at 9 this morning to the sun shining through my window. Makes me feel that I want to go out somewhere for alittle walk. Having breakfast in bed & then going to have a shower & decide what to do today? It so makes a difference that my sleep patterns are changing to going at least 5 hours between waking. The swelling on my knee seems better too ( still not straight ) going to work those lazy muscles today! Was reading earlier about IH band but can't find the thread again!
 
going to work those lazy muscles today!
You know, I do wonder a bit if you aren't working your leg too much? You really don't have to work hard to rehab your knee. It's a case of "Less is More" for this recovery.

You leg isn't lazy - it's wounded. It's had major surgery and it just needs time to heal.
 
@Celle i know i'm probably getting impatient & expecting too much, i'm getting to the stage that I really want to be doing things, you know the syndrome you see something needs doing! It's so not me just sitting asking others to do things for me! I must get out today I mustn't let this get to me:cry:
 
I know where you're coming from Sue but remember that taking things slower now could mean you make a faster recovery in the long term.
 
Thank you Kate @Kelpie for giving me positive thoughts today, boy do I need them. I didn't go out with Joshua (grandson) last night, felt so so tired & just didn't have the energy to do it. Showered myself today so another step forward, though it did take me an hour!!!! It's clouded over now & looks like rain so won't venture out today.
 
The weather is going to be really yucky today. We're better off inside. We'll get there, don't worry. Have a peaceful weekend while you can. Before we know it we'll be wishing we could take a day off from work again!
 
Day 26 post op - Had a really good night's sleep the best one so far, slept on my side for most of the night but woke up on my back just as you did @Celle I did have a bad meltdown yesterday evening! I lost it with my son of 23 I asked him to do something for me & I got frustrated that he didn't do it straight away! Oh my word! what happened to me I snapped throw my crutches across the room (this is not in my nature at all) I decided after that to go to bed, listened to some relaxing music & fell asleep. This morning I have woken in a very good mood, ready for anything that is thrown my way so positive....has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour? I'm going to make some Christmas decorations today will try to keep busy thinking about good things.
 
Glad you had a good sleep Sue. I think you've been frustrated by your son for a while as you mentioned it when we met a couple of weeks ago. As I said before, I'm fortunate that it's just the two of us and Al is so laid back and unflappable, it's impossible to get cross with him! Under different circumstances, it wouldn't have taken much for me to throw my crutches at someone as there are times when I've felt so frustrated, exhausted and in so much pain, I could have screamed! I have been in floods of tears at times, especially last thing at night and I'm sure my poor neighbours must have wondered what on earth had gotten into me. It's been a very long time since I cried so much. Don't worry about it. It'll make him pull his socks up!

We're both on the up now and things will continue to get better and better. Al's popped out to get himself a new bike today. I'm chuffed he's getting something just for him because he's given his all to me in the last 4 weeks. I quite fancy getting one myself when my legs better although I'm sure I'll find time to use it in between the motorbikes and dog walking that I'm so looking forward to getting back to!

PS post some pics of your finished decorations please!
 
Sue.
I'm sure you were dismayed at your unexpected tantrum, but it did make me smile. You see, I remember similar circumstances, when I started screaming at my poor husband, all because he wasn't a mind reader. I didn't tell him clearly what I needed and he didn't instantly guess. The poor man fled to his office at the other end of the house and he stayed there for several hours.

This recovery plays around with our emotions and makes them unstable, so we're prone to do silly things like that.We can get the blues, too, or burst into tears at the slightest thing.
Fortunately, this all passes.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom