Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out today to get my hair cut. First time driving seemed a bit weird, but I moved the seat further back and I soon got used to it. At the hairdressers I was surprised how well I coped. Not bad for my first time flying solo!!!


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Simplieme Yahoo for you. Independent again and doesn't it feel wonderful to have a fresh new haircut. An awakening. :driver: I'm going to overuse this little shifting driver guy and I know he isn't a few weeks out from THR because he couldn't be clutching to shift that much. --julie
 
Haha @Zelda he is a cute little guy! I don't think he's Canadian though cos most (not all ) cars are automatic.
 
Yesterday I spent a couple of hours at work, not really doing anything but just catching up with people. I was surprised I felt I missed being there. This morning I was rather stiff when I got up. I guess that's a message you don't go full out back to work too soon.
The weather is glorious - blue sky and sunshine. Tomorrow is forecast 25C We really havent had much of a winter, l bet there will be a water shortage this summer. (Our water comes from the snow run off from the Rocky Mountains)
Still have some groin pain, but the butt pain I can feel is improving. Amazing what a week can do in this recovery.
Funny though other people soon lose interest after six weeks, once they see you up and walking around, all but your true friends, think that's it, your ok. There's nothing thing visible. Still having my restrictions for another six weeks is going to be hard, because I'm not the sort of person to ask for help.
 
@Simplieme
Sounds like it was good for you to return to work. Glad you are driving now and it's comfortable for you. I was so tempted to drive today (4wks postop) but I didn't. Really need to get my haircut like you did.
Hope you have a good day tomorrow
 
Look at you getting back to "normal"! I still get very mild groin discomfort on occasion after sitting for an extended period of time, but it disappears after a few steps. I just can't wait to get back to life again...my journey has been far too long. I'm so happy for you!
 
Amazing what a week can do in this recovery.
It is, isn't? I thought my week of rest would set me back a bit but the new hip feels stronger and I've lost some of the fatigue.
Did you decide to go on your trip?
 
@Zelda no I didn't go. My husband had to work anyway, but you were right, it was too long to sit.
I've almost weaned off the Tramacet, just one at night now. My head feels so much clearer, I'm almost human again!!!! I'm not totally pain free yet, so I'm hoping to use Tylenol for that. (I have Tylenol 3's ) and of course my new best friend - ice !
I have to go to the fabric shop today to buy some fleece material, my 6 yr old grandson in England wants me to make him a new blankie! Funny, the boys in my family all love these.
 
@Cynthia777 the only blanket my daughter wanted was for her ponies.! I had to make my son a new one last year, because his was worn out. Glad I still have my uses !
 
@Simplieme @Cynthia777
Our two kids still have their blankies too. Not much to them though. Our son wraps it around his head when he sleeps.
Last year I decided to make them new blankets. I had been saving a lot of their favorite tshirts from toddler to high school. So I made them tshirt quilts. I took a class which helped a lor. They turned out really well. They were so surprised that their momma could do
something like that.
 
@Simplieme - thank you so much! It is quite wonderful to have all this support. @Squirrellymom and I will be holding virtual hands through the next few days. If anyone ever feels low they only need to log on - you're never alone with Bonesmart :friends:
 
Big milestone today lol! Last night I was able to sleep on my un-operated side!! Not for too long, but my back really appreciated it. I'm walking around the house without sticks, and my limp is getting less. My body feels so much more flexible, although with restrictions still on, I'm not able to find out how much more. I'm still icing the groin pain when I have it. The butt pain has almost gone. Also, I'm still taking the advantage of being able to take a rest during the day.
The only down side, is my knees in bed at night. Not a pain as such that we are used to, maybe like restless legs? (I don't know what that feels like) just tense, not relaxed and a real need to move them. I would love to be able to curl my legs up.
On the blankie front - I went to the fabric store, and managed to buy one that another lady had made, for just about the cost of the fabric. Just have to figure out how to ship it to the uk. Someone suggested I try and somehow vacuum pack it to make the parcel smaller.
Last night I tried going downstairs to the basement, going down was easy, coming back up was exhausting. As I got to the top my husband came home, and I got into trouble from him for attempting it. But I had no pain from my hip!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When you are able to curl your legs up again, it's going to feel soooo good! I sometimes forget I can do that for some strange reason and when I remember and bend the knees, well, ahhhhhh! :-) It shouldn't be too much longer for you (little bends at a time). :loveshwr:
 
@Simplieme
Wow. That's exciting to be able to sleep on your side. I bet that felt so good especially to relieve some of the back tension. I am tempted to lay on side but I will wait until next wk at 6 wks. My PT said I could lay on my side for a bit though.
Glad you had a good day today. :flwrysmile:
 
Well, last night I almost was able to roll onto my operated side!
Today I go for my regular steroid epidural - time to focus on one of the other malfunctioning parts of my body. Wish they could fix my back like they fixed my hip. :sad:
 
I wish my lower back pain would now go away like my hip pain @Simplieme . I've blamed my back pain on my bad hips now and even after the replacement of the right hip I was still experiencing the low back pain. I've been blaming that on the one leg being longer than the other. Now with left hip replaced and lengthened I'm waiting for that back ache to subside.

I'm able to sleep on the right side now at 3+ months out from RTHR. I still start out sleeping on my flat back and end up rolling (not easily) over onto my right side and putting a pillow between my legs. I don't stay that way all night as I end up getting up a couple of times in the night to pee and get a fresh frozen ice pack so I have to start all over again on the back. I found that taking one benedryl tablet at night helped calm the restless legs for me. I don't know why it helps but I've been taking one. Also putting a full size pillow up under my knees has helped a little.

Isn't it great to climb the steps and not have PAIN. Little things become very exciting. :climb:--julie
 
@Squirrellymom i think my nights follow pretty much the same pattern as yours.
Yesterday after the back injection I felt amazing! (Especially before the freezing wore off) last night I even ventured onto my operated side for a short time. I use a king size pillow now between my legs to give more support, it feels good, but it was too much when my leg was really swollen. I was told not to put a pillow under my knees after surgery, just under my feet. Something to do with not wanting that bend in the leg.
I would never have thought of using Benedryl but hey! If it works, why not.
I went down the stairs to the basement again this morning, and coming back up was much much easier. But that could be helped by the spinal inj yesterday.
Hope you have a good weekend x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom