Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Simplieme - Have you had bloodwork lately? I am very pale as well. I lost a lot of blood during my recent THR surgery. No one told me this but I was prescribed iron pills, which at first I refused, not knowing why they were prescribed. When I saw my bloodwork results, all my red blood cell counts were low. Hemoglobin was 9.1. Normal is 12.1-15.1. My PT therapist (of course not my surgeon!) explained to me about the blood loss, low hemoglobin, low blood pressure and higher pulse. My blood pressure is more normal now (at Day 24 of recovery). But I suspect my hemoglobin is still not normal. I'd like to have it checked before I go back to work. I just started taking a great natural iron and herb supplement called Floradix instead of those iron pills. I hope it does the trick.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my perspective on being pale. I suppose being indoors and not particularly active since my first THR in Jan. 2016 then second one in March 2016 might have something to do with it also...?

We both need tropical vacations!:happydance:
 
Hi @Readysetgo - I see you have had two THRs relatively close together. I had my right hip done on 08 March and will have to have my left hip done too at some stage, but I am not sure when. I am undecided about to say give myself twelve months to endure a relatively full recovery, or do it soon to get it out of the way once and for all

How are you finding it?

Thanks
Peter
 
@Zelda My scar curves backwards at the top

The mailman just delivered my latest treasure- a sheepskin seat pad!! Oh I love it! Feels so good. I'm still not going to sit for long periods though, as I figure I don't want to aggregate any healing. ?????

I didn't go in to work. :yay::yay: They had to manage with me on the phone, then I worked on my laptop and they came and collected the paperwork ( I live close by)
Btw what did we do before laptops and iPads. ????? :wowspring:
 
@PS46 - my OS told me he wants to do my other one 3-6 months after the first. I have read on here quite a variety of gaps between surgeries so I suppose it depends on the condition of the second hip and the surgeon's opinion. I was initially anxious about going through it again but, on the other hand, looking at the speed this first one has deteriorated and the increased pain I'm getting from the other one now I guess there's a lot to be said for getting it all done and dusted so I can get in with my life again. But maybe it's easy to sound super confident about that this side of my first one!
 
Thanks @Miss Muffet. Well, having had one hip replaced three weeks ago has not stopped me cosidering having the other one done relatively soon ...

I am thinking about the end of this year. Last December down here was so mild we were cutting the grass, which I can never remember happening before. The downside is that I would miss lots of gigs, nor would I be particularly mobile at Christmas, but my current thinking is to get it sorted and be done with it!

Peter
 
@Simplieme I'm glad you got it all sorted without going in. And the sheepskin pad sounds brilliant!
 
@PS46 - October would be good for me. Admittedly the further end of 6 months and I don't suppose beggars can be choosers! Maybe you need to check with your Manager that it doesn't impact on your World Tour? :egypdance:
 
Yes, I had better do that @Miss Muffet - by "World", I take it you meant "Gloucestershire"! We are very big in local care homes - always useful planning for the future ...
 
I cheated with my Avatar !!!!! This picture was taken in Oxnard, California. Alberta, where I live now, is landlocked so it's a long trip to see the ocean. I'm originally from the east coast of England, so I love a chance to listen to waves crashing and walk on the beach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Simplieme - if only! I would be very surprised if there was not a ukulele club locally who would though - have you had a look?
We are hoping to go away towards the end of June for a week. I will be something like 15 weeks post op then, but don't think I will feel like flying, plus my wife would like to watch some of the tennis at Wimbledon, if that is when we go
We are thinking about somewhere on the east coast, a) because it is a area we do not know and b) it is flat!
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Peter
 
@PS46 i don't blame you! I haven't been back to the UK for quite a while because of the long flight. We have several musical residents, and we do have some ukes for them to play.
As far Wimbledon is concerned - we watch it here every year - on tv!
The east coast - well depends on what you like ? Beach or history? My daughter had a nice vacation in Great Yarmouth. Lincolnshire coast is flat too!
My cousin has Uke band in York called the Grand Ole Uke of York
 
@SimpleMie Thanks for that
I reckon a combination of beach and history! I will do some "googling". The east coast is not that accessible to us, so it would be good to visit while we have some time. The last time I went was when I was a student, ie a long time ago ... Wherever we go a Uke will be with me to avoid painful withdrawal symptons
I may give flying a miss altogether this year and also my wife is off to Sydney for three weeks in September to visit family, which is a twenty four hour flight!
It's very hard not to smile when playing or listening to a Uke and they don't have to be too expensive either. Some of the names people have for their bands are very amusing, we are just "Gloucester Strings"!
We apply for tickets for Wimbledon in the ballot every year (my wife is a fanatic) and we are successful roughly every other year. We have not heard anything this year ...
Peter
 
I was thinking of flying at 8-10 weeks after hip#2 - nothing too far but far enough to be guaranteed sunshine!
 
@PS46 - you could always hop, skip, jump over to France. If you've not done the Normandy beaches and surrounds there's stacks of history on tap. We visited Monet's garden and Bayeux - lovely cathedral (and tapestry of course). Or do you feel all of that would be too much? It isn't mandatory to do the lot!
:driver: :hiking::horseriding::bicycle1::fasthorse::climb::bicycle2::walking::vespa::kayak:
 
I can't wait to go on vacation, it's on my list of questions when I see my OS on Tuesday. Here we live on the edge of the Rockies, which is just breathtaking, but you need to be able to walk.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom