THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplieme

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you for the good wishes
I'm exactly two weeks post surgery today.
At day 5 I slipped in the shower. My good leg slipped out to the side and I experienced excruciating pain. I'm hoping I haven't done any permanent damage. ? I rested and iced and it gradually subsided. I take Tramacet 2x every four hours.
Since leaving hospital My leg and foot were extremely swollen but most of that has gone now making it easier to to move my leg. (I used a Revitive machine that really took the swelling down.
Some of the worst pain I had was in my knee, I thought maybe that was due to whatever they did during surgery? But that's gone now, I find sitting the hardest with pain in my bum. Some groin pain but reading posts on here it's sounds not unusual.
Tomorrow I get my staples out(I have Aquacell covering them. Not looking forward to that as I am very squeamish.

My worst problem right now is my bladder! I get to the bathroom and before I sit down my bladder lets go. Initially I was drinking lots of water to help with the swelling. I backed off a little and that has helped. My case worker thinks it might be something to do with the catheter I had until the morning after surgery, as I had light bladder leakage before surgery and take Myrbetric for that. It has improved some by timing bathroom trips. Anyone else had this ??

RTHR February, 22, 2016 female
age 62

@Simplieme Welcome to the other side! Wow - a slip so early out. Sounds like things have settled for you though.

Bladder problems post op are very common. I had them post LTHR. You have already discovered the trick
improved some by timing bathroom trips
This will ease with time.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you. Just post all your updates on this thread. If you would like me to change the thread title just give a shout.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@Simplieme - :hi:. I think others have mentioned having a slip, which is a worry.
I was just busy doing some preOp Amazon ordering when I spotted these
Halovie Bathroom Massage Shoes Foot Massager Unisex Travel Portable Foldable Bath Slippers Shower Slippers
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...qid=1457454423&ref_=sr_1_7&s=drugstore&sr=1-7. I hope that link works ..?
upload_2016-3-8_16-35-5.png

They're no good for me as I have tiny feet, and I'm sure you'll be able to source something similar on your side of the pond ...? I can't advise on the other problems, but someone will jump in I'm sure. So sorry you're having a rough time and hope this will help in some way? :flwrysmile:

I had bladder problems after TKR caused by catheter. I needed antibiotics to sort things out. Either I couldn't get there in time, or couldn't go when I did. May be worth seeing your doctor about. Good luck.

I'm going to see the Dr this morning about the bladder problem. I'm pretty sure I don't have bladder infection symptoms, but ive never had one.
This afternoon I get my staples out !!!!!!

age 62

I have had bladder problems following both revision surgeries, 8 weeks ago and 12 months ago. I too needed a catheter and now have to get to the toilet quickly or there are accidents which can be hugely embarrassing. I would suggest working on your pelvic floor muscles. It was explained to me that these muscles if they don't have to 'think', forget quite quickly. It is a case of re-training them by working on them regularly. In the meantime I found it safer to go to the toilet more frequently. Once you are aware of exercising those muscles, it does get better although you need to keep doing them. Keep drinking - it's important.

I believe I will have a catheter, and am almost expecting I will get an infection if I'm honest. Have got some extra long (and high absorbancy) panty liners just in case I have a similar problem with frequency (and not being able to get there as fast as I would like). Although this may not be your problem I do hope you get it sorted out.

@Jacey. Please can you you change my thread title to post op progress?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Staples out - was told everything is looking fine. :)
Saw Family Dr today, he thinks bladder problem is not caused by catheter as such, just made worse by it. Told to increase Myrbetriq dose to see if that helps. Other concerns (groin and butt pain) have just about been answered by this group - thank you so much !! I have to keep reminding myself it's only been two weeks ( seems like forever)
I'm still using my walking frame, which I really don't like, but my arms seem to insist on taking some of the weight no matter how I try to relax.
My husband has taken another week off to help me out, and he has been amazing ! He has arranged for someone to come in tomorrow to do some cleaning, and the plan is to keep her on for a while at least. I have lower back problems too which also prevent me from doing as much as I would like.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@Jacey. Please can you you change my thread title to post op progress?

I've changed your thread title for you.

I had bladder problems for several weeks following my second TKR. It did disappear by itself finally. I used the slimline Depends panties during this time so I didn't have to worry. They were actually quite comfortable and worked perfectly to keep "leaks" from happening.

Very early days for you! Staples out - that's a major milestone! Well done!
I believe I will have a catheter, and am almost expecting I will get an infection if I'm honest.
Don't assume you will have an infection. I had a catheter after all 3 major surgeries and never had an infection.

Hurrah for no staples! Hope the bladder settles down!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.

I have to admit I fainted when they took out my staples. Don't get me wrong ! It really didn't hurt that much! I'm just so squeamish. Feels much better now, especially now most of the swelling has gone.
Bladder isn't fixed yet, I manage it by wearing pads and timing trips to the bathroom. My doctor doubled my dose of Myrbetric (for leaky bladder) so far after just two days no effect.
Still having quite a lot of groin pain. I understand it's from all the things they did during surgery but I wonder when it will end. ??
If I stand square I can put my weight on my new hip without any pain, and can almost walk unaided but again it's the groin pain that's holding me back - or is that a good thing? I'm only in my third week

age 62

I have to admit I fainted when they took out my staples. Don't get me wrong ! It really didn't hurt that much! I'm just so squeamish.
I know what you mean - it is a very strange, abnormal sensation, isn't it!

@Simplieme - I, too, had bladder issue 'after' surgery, never had problems before, and I blame it on the catheter. It was awful in the hospital as I was in so much pain plus my bladder would then fill so quickly we had to resort to a bed pan! It did continue when I got home but after a few weeks, it resolved itself. I wish I could refrain from the catheter next time I go in but don't see an option around that! @Korky51 offered some good advice with the pelvic/kegel exercises! I do practice this when I remember! :wink:

Sorry I can't post with an answer, just wanted you to know you're not alone with this.

My groin issues were the last to leave and had them for quite a while. What helped was gentle stretches throughout the day and walking as much as I felt comfortable doing. I didn't try any strengthening exercises while I had the groin issues. Just made it worse. Your back issues may be partly to blame as well. Do you take or do anything for the back pain?

Glad to see you have help and the support from your husband! Someone to clean the house will make you feel so much better! :yay:

For my back I currently take Tylenol 3's (pain) plus Cymbalta for nerve pain ( which comes from my back and goes down my left leg) I have tried OxyContin, Percocet and the Fentanyl patch in the past, but I had no life, constant vomiting and my stomach ulcerated. I have epidural steroid injections every four months which are a life saver. I've had lots of tests and my back is inoperable. (Stenosis, bulging disks etc) The hope is that this RTHR will help a little, my hip was bone on bone so was aggravating my back.

Last night I reminded my self I was only two and a half weeks post op ( it feels like forever) and decided I need to still lay down and not do so much sitting.
Today the weather was so warm and sunny ( yes ! no snow here in Canada - we've hardly had any all winter) so I decided to take a walk down the street to the Park entrance (my house backs onto a park with a lake) I so enjoyed being outside, it felt so good. The hospital set me up with what they call a two wheel walker ( it has two wheels at the front and rubber tipped legs at the back. ) I now find when I'm out it doesn't help the flow of my walk, so I bought a used four wheeled walker, now I realize it's not tall enough - I still can't walk without taking some of the weight on my arms, and the walker hurt my shoulders. It's over an inch two short - measuring from the ground to my wrist like the physio did. It's not that I was told I could put all the weight on my hip - my body won't seem to let me!

RTHR February 22, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does. That's what I thought when I bought the used four wheeled walker. But I didn't know they come in different sizes. Mine is adjusted to the maximum height and is still a little too short

RTHR February 22, 2016

I had to get longer crutches and sticks because I'm tall. It really does make a difference getting the right height - can you ask the hospital for a different walker?

Got it. I know it's VERY important that you have the correct height or you can end up with all sorts of shoulder issues (so I've read). I'm not sure if Canada has a Craigslist or something similar, but I've seen them on there for $20. @Zelda had a good idea if you're renting yours. Fortunately I'm only 5' 4", so pretty much all of them fit my height. Hopefully you can get the correct size as soon as possible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom