Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messed everything up again. Last night I decided to start putting the house back to normal after living on one level post op. I took my printer downstairs, missed the last two steps and fell!
Thankfully hips are ok (carpet softened my landing. ) But my right ankle started to swell. went to the ER had it X-Rayed, and the Dr said it wasn't broken, but the ligaments torn. Now non weight bearing for 5 days.
And for my next trick ..............


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Haven't been around for a while. My THR is doing just fine. It doesn't hurt, and I find that my ROM is increasing slowly. Thank you to everyone on Bonesmart for all the help, support and friendship!!
I don't know what else I did when I fell, but I can hardly walk, both feet hurt so much. I had one foot X rayed originally, and the Dr said nothing broken, it's still a little swollen.
I'm so sorry, this is not a Bonesmart topic, I'm going to try to see Dr tomorrow.
 
Sorry I missed about your fall! How scary that must have been, falling down the last few steps. Nice that you managed not to hurt your hip, but, oh dear about your ankle and feet! You certainly can talk about whatever is happening post THR, no matter what it is about. We need support through everything, especially when we are in recovery from major surgery. I do hope nothing is broken. I've had a situation where I was told my elbow wasn't broken, and a week later gone in with the same pain and swelling as the week before, and they look more closely at the x-ray, and lo and behold, then they see the crack. Even if it is just soft tissue damage in your feet, that is hard to recover from. We walk on our feet, and they take our whole body weight. Hope you get resolution and relief from your pain soon!
 
Thank you @Krista, It was very scarey, the first thing I checked was my hip. I can't understand why my right foot only hurt a bit at first and now hurts more. I was supposed to be on non weight bearing on crutches for five days after, but I've had so much time off with my THR that I just had to go to work. Secretly I'm thinking that it's the old age takes longer to heal thing.!!!! One good thing is, it's taken my mind off my LLD but I've exchanged one limp for another !!
 
Like Krista, I missed that you fell as well! What a scare! Thankfully you didn't dislocate your hip. Maybe you should get your foot checked out again? Just what you didn't need! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.
 
I'd missed your posts too - I was actually thinking about you as I went in for my second hip and wondering how the 12 week point was feeling for you. I'm so sorry you fell. I slid down the steps at by back door about six years ago and wrenched my ankle and foot badly. There was nothing in the x-ray but it took a while to heal - maybe six months before I stopped limping when tired. It really dents your confidence, never mind when you have the THR to worry about too.

Swelling and pain - I hope you've got some ice on it!
 
Yes @Zelda i have been icing! In actual fact, I recently bought one of those cryo-cuff things secondhand. Too late I thought for hip surgery, but it was too good a deal to miss, and it's cone in handy. Up to my fall I was doing reasonably well, still working on the limp.
It seems nothing is broken, just torn ligaments, and that's takes time. As with THR I have to remind myself to give it time. My husband told me to think back to my horse training days, when I sometimes had to deal with horses with swollen legs and pulled tendons, and use the same principles as then. Icing, tensor bandages and horse linament. :umm:
Thanks all of you for your support, you can't imagine how dumb I felt after the fall.
 
@Simplieme So sorry to hear about your unfortunate fall. Please don't feel dumb about this accident. This could happen to anyone of us. Deep in our conscious lurks the fear of falling for many of us after joint surgery because we know what the outcome could be. You are so fortunate that you did not hurt your hips! This could have been worse.

I know you must be feeling down right now but continue to ice and heal that ankle and virtual hugs from all of us here! :friends:

Well, think you might have done us all a favor by awakening our senses to be careful and conscious of our vulnerability when it comes to falls!:unsure:
 
Sorry you are hurting.Iy is so easy to become impatient with wanting to get our life back.I did something to myself yesterday.Hoping its minor.Husband has been shouldering the burden of the house and I just want to help him,but I'm paying for it now.Im 57 and just feel like I should heal fairly quickly but our body has its own time frame.Be careful,sounds like you have good supports.Take it slow.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Recovered now from falling down the stairs:yes!:. Had a really good session with my physio Monday, she worked on my foot that I hurt when I fell, plus my pelvis had tilted "again". She put that right, and I came out feeling amazing:wowspring:funny thing then - I realized my limp had gone!!! Still comes back when I'm really tired, or I walk too far. Muscles are not totally strong yet, I can feel that. I guess that's why they say it takes a year????
Interesting how, right from surgery day, we focus and worry about things we feel are not coming right, then suddenly they do. I'm thinking back, for example, the log leg, not being able to let go of the walker, getting in and out of the shower, the groin pain, the knee pain etc etc etc To those of you who are not there yet, I'm here to tell you - be patient, don't over do it, and it will happen!!! :yay:
 
@Simplieme, I am so happy for you! Getting over the injuries from your fall, losing your limp (most of the time), and you are feeling amazing! I love your advice, to be patient, not overdo it and it will happen. A worthy mantra for us post-op hippies.
 
I'm delighted that you're feeling better and the limp has gone! It's a real milestone in recovery.
 
Just about at the five and a half month post op point. According to people I meet I am "doing very well"!
Generally pain free, apart from when I overdo it, then I pay for it with pain during the night, which is usually gone by morning. Some stiffness after sitting too long.
I've followed the Bonesmart mantra, medicated, iced, rested and not done PT. my main excercise is walking, as much as I feel I am able.
I know we are told it takes a year for recovery. My OS asks that I compare how I was pre surgery, as a guide to how well I am doing. I see him next week for a check up.
Yet I'm still hearing that the only people who make a good recovery are the ones who do exactly as they are told (ie full PT) it's really hard some days not to worry about your recovery and wonder if something you did, or didn't do will prevent a good recovery isn't it???
Are there any 6 to 12 month or more THR's can give advice ????
 
Yet I'm still hearing that the only people who make a good recovery are the ones who do exactly as they are told (ie full PT) it's really hard some days not to worry about your recovery and wonder if something you did, or didn't do will prevent a good recovery isn't it???
Well I doubt that you are hearing this from BoneSmart! Full PT really isn't necessary for most THR patients. If you have lower back issues or issues with your gait you may benefit from a little guidance from PT. But walking is actually the best exercise post THR.

I have had both hips replaced. I had PT post LTHR for lower back issues that were aggravated by the op. Post RTHR I started PT but it was totally counter productive and I cancelled after the second session.

It sounds like you are right on track with your recovery. Please don't compare it to any other recovery. Every THR recovery is different - even on the same person.
 
I almost forgot I have an almost six month hip too!
:rotfl:

Unless there's something you're unhappy with, I don't think you need to worry about PT. My right hip gets sore when I overdo things too and I still have some limitations on strength, stamina and range of movement. Maybe having the left one to compare it to, reminds me how much it has improved - and that's having spent a lot of time doing very little because the left one just wouldn't let me! I've done gentle physio and walked but I think time is the best healer. When I was getting impatient about still needing the sticks to walk, people here kept telling me it would just happen and lo and behold they were right!
 
I am almost 9 months post op and have been doing extremely well. I've lost my limp, and compared to pre op I feel great. My six month check up with my OS said everything was good

However just recently I have been having pain whilst walking. It's a sharp pain that makes me shout out ouch. It feels like it's coming from my hip, almost like it's out of alignment, and I feel unsure and taking the next step. Please can anyone tell me what it is ?? @Josephine

I do not do any exercises apart from walking. I usually average 4000 to 6000 steps a day. I am back at work full time(office work) I'm currently taking one slow release tramadol 200 in the morning and one to three tramacet during the day (mainly for a chronic lower back problem)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Simplieme sorry you are seeing this new pain. Have you done anything different recently? Any new activity like lifting or garden work? Does the pain occur when you bear weight in your stride or when you lift to step? Jo should be along soon to ask you more questions.
 
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op Progress<


[Bonesmart.org] Post Op Progress<
 
@Josephine i would say C R2F, C R5B it's not near the surface
@Jaycey it only happens when I walk when I bear bear weight in the stride. I don't believe I have done anything different. My biggest struggle is still putting sick and shoe on. When it happens I feel that I need to realign myself, if you know what I mean? It's not all the time pain and only when walking.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom