Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is it about cats right now?
Yesterday my DIL took her cat to the vet because he had lost a lot of weight quickly. Turns out he has kidney failure!! He's almost 11 years old. His journey over the rainbow bridge has been booked for Monday
Picture of Charlee attached in his younger days He's a Maine Coon
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post Op Progress<
    image.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 180
@Simplieme
How sad! It's so hard for us, even when we know it's the thing to do for them. He's quite the handsome fellow & I know he has been loved & cherished for many years.
Please know you all are in our thoughts.
SweetPea69​
 
@Simplieme - I am so sorry about your kitty! He is a beautiful guy. I hope he isn't in any pain right now. Take good care of yourself at this sad time.
 
Thanks @Readysetgo he is a beautiful cat, and no he's not in any pain. He's been a funny cat though, although he loves to play, he's not really friendly, he likes to bite people who try to pet him! Him and I came to an agreement a long time ago,lol we get on fine. He loves Lexi the Doxie, plays with her, and gives her a bath every day - she's going to miss him too.
 
@Simplieme I am so sorry to hear about Charlee. I am certain he has had a good life. You are doing the most unselfish thing letting him go to a better place. I went through this same pain only 3 days out from my RTHR. Not easy at any time - let alone when you are recovering from major surgery. :cry:
 
Oh @Jaycey there is no good time for us, but right after your surgery must have been especially hard. I'm so sorry


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Simplieme
My little cat who just passed away from a stroke, had severe kidney failure about a year and a half before she passed. My vet didn't think she was going to make it through the weekend, but he was wrong. She had stopped eating and drinking water, so my vet gave her some drops that stimulated her hunger and I tried every which way to get her to eat (baby food etc. etc.). Well, what ended up working, along with the one dosage of appetite stimulant, was to baby talk to her! I would hold her in my lap, with a bowl of food in my hand and talk in a baby voice about what a good little girl and how she's so pretty...you get the gist. As soon as she took her first bite, boy I goo goo'ed and praised her until she would take another bite. Keep in mind, she had been already looking for places to hide and die. But, alas, she started thriving! I share this just in case your DIL can try one last ditch effort to avoid putting her precious Charlee to sleep. I'm heartbroken for her! :-(
 
@Cynthia777 @Pony Thank you for suggestion and support. Sadly, nothing can be done.. His kidneys are not working at all, and I understand that blood work shows other things too. This weekend has been enabled by the vet,they gave him I've fluids and medication, so that he could spend it at home. He's been out in the yard enjoying the sunshine today.
 
@Simplieme
So sorry to read about your cat. It is hard I am sure. Atleast he was able to enjoy the sunshine today. We had to put down our 14 yr old Lab in January. The hardest thing ever. Pets are part of the family and it hurts to see them decline in health.
Hope you have a good week
 
Yesterday I had an appointment with my PCP. She has been on maternity leave, so was catching up. We discussed pain medication. ( I unfortunately have chronic back issues too ) decided to go for slow release Tramadol with Tramacet for breakthrough pain. She said I needed a break from Tylenol #3. I told her I was going for vein surgery next week - her look was priceless. !! "Now" she said. I explained I'm aiming at a good summer where I can be as mobile as possible. They made me wait five years for my hip surgery because they said I was too young :xmark: Now I've got my new hip, I'm going to use it
 
@Simplieme
Way to go!!! You may as well celebrate in style!!! I'm so glad you are doing well! Hopefully the different pain Meds will help your back & help you relax!:bath:
SweetPea69
 
Nine weeks today post op. Went to see my PT for the first time since surgery. She does Stamina Therapy which is different. My pelvis was a little out. She was very impressed that my psoas (which Stamina Therapy is based around) was so strong. She told me the knee pain comes from the hip. Any pain I have is apparently coming from muscles, so that can be worked on. She gave me some tips on how to get rid of my limp (one was try walking with your hands and arms up or out)
Picked up my new glasses today.
Friday is my next round of surgery.
 
Glad to read you had a good Dr appt. and a new pair of glasses to boot. New glasses always makes you feel good.
Good luck on Friday with your vein surgery.
What is involved with that?
 
@Arlene56 thank you, yes it's nice to know the glasses were the problem not the eyes!!
With the vein surgery, they will make small incisions and strip out the varicose ones. I've had it done before, it's not too bad, but it does mean wearing the awful toe to thigh TEDs. stripping is probably the old fashioned way now. They have lasers these days , but it's very expensive. This stripping is covered under our health care.
 
@Simplieme
Since you have had the surgery before,
then you know what to expect.
Will be thinking about you on Friday. I am sure all will be fine!!
Have a good rest of the wk.
 
Survived my vein stripping surgery yesterday. After THR it really was a breeze! Gave the anesthetist a hard time because it was a general anesthetic. Told him he had to do something to make sure I didn't throw up after. He put meds in my iv. Not much pain, they gave me Fentanyl by Iv at the hospital and I'm still on Tramadol for my hip at home anyways. They didn't use TED just elastic bandages from toes to top of leg. By the time I got home, they had slipped down so far I almost walked out of them. I have really fat legs, and always struggle even with stockings. Ive redone the bandages every which way but they still slip down. I'm going to go see if I can get one of those things to help put TED on with.
My hip has behaved beautifully through all this. The groin pain is much better, just still pain down from the butt
Restrictions for vein surgery are very much similar to the hip, so that makes life easier.
I tried a temporary adjustable heel lift for my LLD and I think it helps a lot. Not sure I should be doing this yet, if my muscles need to adjust more first? but it helps with pain and limp.
Still looking forward to being pill and pain and limp free. Time is counting down to me going back to work full time at three months,(May 18) but without any visible signs of injury to other people I have become somewhat protective of myself.
 
You must be so pleased to have the surgery out of the way!

I think if the shoe lifts feel better then that has to be a good thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom