Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 really ? Small world. !
We stayed at Mandalay Beach Resort my husband was at a conference there. His work is in agriculture so they took us on tours to look at the fruit picking and an organic farm I entertained myself during the day by reading by the pool and walking on the beach!!! (Oh and I found an outlet mall) we flew out early to San Francisco stayed near Fishermans Wharf and went to Alcatraz. Then we drove down to Oxnard. I would go back there in a heartbeat but the last conference was here in Lethbridge


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
I love San Francisco too! While in Oxnard, you were minutes away from some of the quaintest towns and beautiful beaches (MUCH nicer than Oxnard)! If you ever go again, I'll let you in on all the coolest spots nearby.
 
@Miss Muffet it makes me tired just thinking about it, but it is a good idea! This year is unusual for two reasons:
1 THR
2 My wife going off to Sydney for three weeks (more or less at the time we normally go away)
We usually have a week in June to do a city break somewhere, which involves lots of walking etc, so both of those are non starters this year
We are very close to the M5, so my current thinking is to head south to Devon/ Cornwall to a quiet apartment somewhere for a week's chilling and visiting a castle or two
Watch this space
 
We went to Wimbledon last year. It was only 2 days after I'd had my hip joint injected so I was a bit nervous about coping. That's when I invested in my swanky new walking stick.
We were lucky enough to have VIP tickets so were really spoiled (but I didn't object) yummy food with mandatory strawberries and cream and Pimms and were whisked around on the back of a golf buggy, which cut down on the walking enormously :running::running::running: It was a gorgeous hot (but very long) day :SUNsmile: and I was really tired when we finally got home. But a great experience. I hadn't been for years. Fingers crossed you get some tickets this year.:tennis::tennis:
 
@MissMuffet no problem! My husband is a really good tennis player, so I'm interested in hearing all about Wimbledon! Plus as I'm originally from the UK I love hearing about all these places.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
In that case, @Simplieme, I will add a small snippet about Wimbledon if that is ok. Wish I could stop waking up at 05:00 every day ...
I have always loved sport, but was never particularly bothered about tennis for some reason, until my wife (who is very keen) persuaded me to go, several years ago. Suffice to say, it was brilliant and on so many levels
For a start, it is your archetypal British Summer event - pristine gardens, Pimms, strawberries and cream, lovely location etc. Wimbledon village is always an absolute picture. Secondly, it is a (maybe unique?) opportunity to see world class athletes at the top of their game, so close you feel you could touch them, particularly on the outside courts
We are very lucky to have friends in Raynes Park - you can walk to Wimbledon from there, so no real time pressures ...
That is why we apply for tickets every year - fingers crossed for 2016
Peter
 
Alberta, where I live now, is landlocked so it's a long trip to see the ocean. I'm originally from the east coast of England, so I love a chance to listen to waves crashing and walk on the beach.

Another small world comment I lived in Alberta for 12 months when I was 16 and went back last year for a friend's Wedding. It is a LONG flight. I had sleeping tablets on the way over as I was with my family but I travelled home on my own the way home so didn't want to take the sleeping tablets. I slept like a baby on the way there but the way back was horrendous. I am only small but I could not get comfortable with both hips painful. I don't think I went to Lethbridge but the name sounds familiar, it was 13 years ago I was living there. I stayed in Banff last year, I just love the Rockies, they never fail to take my breath away. I do love the beach though and hate the cold so Canada really isn't for me lol

I haven't been to Wimbledon but would love to go to the Australian Open one year. My husband isn't interested but my mum will come along.



Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi yes it is a small world. I find this all the time Two of my friends here are both from within 20 miles away from where we came from in England.
We live very south in Alberta, just an hour from the US border (Montana) it's not that cold here, because of the weather effect of the mountains. (Chinooks) But we do have four seasons, which I like. Having said that we hardly had any snow this year.
 
Well I saw my OS today for my six week review.
They took X-rays but I didn't get to see them unfortunately.
Groin pain and butt pain he said will heal, they're from the surgery. He kept the restrictions on until three months, but he says I can drive. He signed me off work until May 18th. Walking stick, just if I feel I need it. LLD he said should eventually go away. I don't have to go in for PT
I actually feel more confident now, knowing everything is going as it should.
Oh and @Cynthia777 his hands were just regular size, he's not a very tall man.
 
Restrictions until three months? How do you feel about that?
But :wowspring::yes!: on being able to drive. I really miss that freedom.
 
@Zelda well a bit disappointed I guess. I hate the raised toilet seat, it's such a brute to keep clean. Crossing legs and twisting doesn't bother me much, but the 90 degree one is the worst.
April 29th I'm having vein surgery on my other leg, so I guess I will be back to laying with my legs raised lol
 
I wondered if the continued restrictions would give you the excuse to rest and hide from your work! I'm glad you're feeling more confident and quite jealous that you're weaning off the walking stick.
Good luck for the vein surgery.
 
@Simplieme and @dandy_candi - here's another small world story.

Years ago we lived briefly in Aus (My father's RAF job) and very sadly my grandfather died while we were out there. So Dad needed to travel back to UK for his fathers funeral. First hop was Canberra/Sydney where he stayed with old ex-RAF Brit friends overnight before catching a flight to England. He then took a long train journey across country to Hereford, so had been travelling practically non-stop for a couple of days and was pretty much preoccupied with his own sad thoughts and didn't really have any conversation for the duration. It was on the final leg that a man boarded the train and sat opposite him and commented on Dad's tan, asking where he'd travelled from. When Dad said Australia the man responded "I know someone who lives in Australia". Pretty silly remark. Except then he said their name Dad sat up and said "Well those were almost the last people I spoke to" (the couple he had stayed with in Sydney). What were the chances of that?
 
Your Thoughts please???? On Saturday I will be almost 7 weeks post op I'm wondering if it would be OK to take a trip out of town ??? It would be a two and a half hour car ride each way.
 
I think I could handle the drive if I made a few stops to get out and stretch. It all depends on how you're feeling. Stops to walk around would be highly suggested...keep that blood flow going. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom