Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so right! I was totally not prepared for the emotions. Whilst I am extremely happy for people who make quick recoveries, at less than two weeks post op, the last thing I wanted to hear, was the story of a lady who was back at the gym at six weeks! I know it was meant as encouragement, but I surprised myself how much it upset me.
That's why I love BoneSmart! The wonderful friends I've made here, totally understanding and non judgemental. I'm so glad I found you. :loveshwr:
Pam
 
I've been reading the recovery threads for a while now. Love seeing everyone's progress. In the beginning my favorites were the ones where the person had a THR and was back at the gym 2 weeks later. But now I'm more impressed with the people who struggle and make progress and have setbacks and more progress. I guess it's the whole perseverance thing. Who doesn't love a story about someone who overcomes obstacles?

Have the bladder issues eased off? I had issues after my first surgery for over a month. Cutting back on caffeine helped me a lot. I still had those moments where I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the bathroom, but they were less intense.
 
@YoungHippy
My bladder issues have just about resolved. Timing is certainly the key. I too stayed away from Caffeine. A really full bladder is to be avoided at all costs, and not entirely sure I would make it, so I will continue to wear some sort of pad for the time being.
Looking back I can see that the problem was made worse by not wanting to get up and go to the bathroom because it was so painful to move. You could accuse me of not managing my pain, but Tramacet was the strongest medication I was able to tolerate.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Although my office colleagues lack understanding of what it entails to have a THR, interestingly enough the facility which we work in is Seniors' housing! I didn't make it generally know that I was going to have surgery, but last week I went in to see some of the residents. Many of them would come up to me and smile and give me a knowing nod and say "yes it's tough isn't it ?"


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
That's good to know. It's one of those things that was on my worry list for the upcoming surgery. I cut back on my caffeine intake alot but am still a morning coffee drinker. Have to have atleast a cup in the morning to find my personality. When things were the worst right after my surgery, I threatened to move the coffee maker to the bathroom.
 
I've decided if I cut out sitting, and just lay down get up and walk around then lay down again I would be just fine! It's sitting that causes my pain. Not very practical though is it ?
 
Not very practical and a bit boring as well!
I take it you've tried different chairs and cushions?
 
Yes @Zelda I've tried different chairs and cushions. The best is my power recliner cos I can lay back and put my feet up. But I'm supposed to be working from home - but it's rather hard to do accounting when you're laid back with your feet up :alarm:
 
Yesterday was ok but not great. Does anyone else have those days? I didn't have too much pain but some swelling. I iced and elevated as much as I could.
Today I'm worried. They called from work yesterday to ask if I could go in today to help out with a. problem. I don't mind the work at all, but I'm scared I can't control my post op needs and fear a setback. I told them I can't sit for long, they asked do I rotate from sitting to standing? To which I replied no -I rotate from sitting to lying down ! There are always distractions, we can't focus on the job in hand. I really don't want to go, but it makes me feel lazy to say no, plus I understand the urgency of the task.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Simplieme, what a dilemma! So you are about 5 weeks out. There would have been no way I could have done what they are asking you to do. I am glad you told them that you rotate between sitting down and lying down! I don't think that you are lazy if you don't go, on the contrary, you would be being vigilant about caring for your body after a major, brutal surgery. Setbacks can and do happen if we ask too much of ourselves. I hope you will say no. If you say yes, then they will probably keep on asking you for more and more. Perhaps you could give them some guidance over the phone? Good office procedure would dictate that they have decent back-up plans for all things that need to be done. Take good care of yourself.
 
Maybe if you put a strict time limit on how long you are there it will help cut down on distractions and focus on the task at hand? Or is there a technology solution where you can Skype or FaceTime into a meeting?

I think if you're not sure you shouldn't do it. I was thinking that I would like to try visiting my work before I go back just to see what the journey is like.
 
@Simplieme - that's tough on you. I've tried very hard to brief everyone on aspects of my job but inevitably something will crop up. Personally I don't think it's fair to put on you like this. They don't have an appreciation of what you have been through and I agree with @Krista that there is every chance that if you agree on this occasion they will feel they can ask again. So where will that leave you? Please be careful :flwrysmile:
 
You're right @Miss Muffet they don't have a clue! Especially the men! Because we don't have anything visual to remind them they can't comprehend. My boss has ADHD it's impossible to sit down and work on something and finish it, that's what scares me.

@Zelda did you have posterior surgery?

I'm still having trouble sitting for very long. Another thing is - my face is more often than not, extremely pale. I'm not dizzy, my blood pressure isn't low. My friend who is an RN came to see me Tuesday and I scared her - she was so worried when she came in cos she said I was white as a sheet. Anybody have any ideas about this ??
 
Hi @Simplieme

Just a thought and maybe this would not work logistically, but is it worth suggesting that, as part of your transition arrangements, you make yourself available each day, for say an hour at a pre agreed time and let them FaceTime/Skype you during that time only - or would they ring you all the time??

Peter
 
I am not sure what approach I had - I was going to ask next week. Is that silly not to know? I keep looking at the pictures of the different approaches and I still can't tell!
My husband has been saying I am pale but I thought it was just lack of sunlight and exercise.
Have you still got your walker? I bet if you went in using that, they would realise you weren't up to staying long.
 
@Zelda my surgery is posterior I think that's why sitting hurts my scar is very long and goes back around my butt The walker is s good idea! Yes I've still got it I prop my sticks on it so they don't get knocked over.
I guess being inside doesn't help with colour.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@PS46 Peter they already call me all the time lol I don't mind that, I've been doing a lot of work from home on my laptop, but quietly in my own time.
 
My scar is long but when I'm sitting it's just above where my thigh meets the chair rather than underneath me. I've been trying to sleep on that side the last few nights but the incision area gets sore after an hour so I can understand why you wouldn't want to be sitting on it all the time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom