Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the physiotherapist yesterday and she watched me walk with two sticks and then just with one. She told me that it was better to walk properly with both than to try to cut down on using them. She let me off walking across a room with just one stick if I am carrying something but at all other times I am to use both so that I don't relearn a limp.

I can't put all my weight on my hip yet either when I walk. I think it would be strong enough if I really had to but I still feel there's a lot of healing going on in there. I'm getting a pretty good instinct for what it will do and I don't see any point in pushing too hard. If I end up having to sit with ice because it's stiff and swelling then whatever I was doing can't have been good for it.

We're only three weeks out. It's a marathon not a sprint!
:wink:
 
I kind of experience a similar feeling and I'm not sure if it's because of my LLD and for the fact that I need my other hip done. But, I have noticed when I do walk unassisted, it seems like my knee (on the op-hip) seems weak, but not painful. I'm almost certain part of the recovery process is gaining back that confidence that your new hip will hold you up. Key word...process. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 I too have LLD and also wonder how that affects walking. When I consider how I walked for so long before surgery, I'm sure my body/my muscles will need to adjust, and I doubt that will happen overnight. I'm used to my hip giving way, that's fresh in my memory.


RTHR February 22, 2016
 
I'm sure the LLD affects you more than you know. Since walking "normal" is still fresh in my mind, I can tell it affects my back muscles a lot. Will you be having a second THR? If not, you may want to consider a shoe insert, to better even you up. My surgeon said he will even them up when I have my second hip done.
 
@Cynthia777 I had LLD before surgery my OS was supposed to fix it this time. Right now my other hip is ok although it's taking a beating from the bad one, it wouldn't surprise me if I needed THR Lol It doesn't hurt enough at the moment for me to think I want to go through this again
I do have chronic back problems though so that affects my posture too


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Zelda are you using one or two canes now? Are they just regular canes?

Almost four weeks now. I know I can feel myself healing. It's the all the soft tissue needs to heal I rest lots and ice lots, I guess I learned that the hard way. Still taking Tramacet but have backed off the higher dose I went back to after my bad weekend. Would love to get this stuff out my head but don't feel ready yet.
I'm back working - from home, just a bit at a time. It's awesome to be able to get up from my computer and go lay down for a rest (I could get to like this )
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op Progress<

Two of these - NHS walking sticks. I can walk about a room without them or short distances with one but it makes me limp and twist so I use both most of the time. My unoperated leg is starting to struggle so I think I will use them right through until my second recovery. I managed 750 metres in one go today before I got tired and I'm going to try to build that up as much as the old hip will let me.

Have you still got the walker?
 
@Zelda I've given the walker up. I didn't like how I was walking with it. I'm using my crutches (both) at the moment, and find my walk flows better and my back doesn't hurt. Went outside today for a walk - it's a lovely warm sunny day. Used crutches, it went well no pain from my new hip, not even the groin. But I did have some pain from my other hip - I hope that's not a sign of things to come, or maybe that's the LLD ????
The crutches are rather cumbersome, though I am used to using them, so I was wondering about trying walking sticks.
 
I would give it a go. You can order them on Amazon very cheaply if you don't want to go to the doctor and ask. I find I can get a proper rhythm to my walk with them, almost as if I was just using hillwalking poles.

I'm glad you had a nice walk in the sunshine. It feels like a step in getting back to normal, doesn't it?
 
Thanks @Zelda we can loan equipment for free from the Red Cross here. I've got two walking sticks. Feels much better, I can take a few steps with just one, but mostly still use two.

Struggling with Tramacet (Tramadol 37.5mg with 325mg Acetaminophen)
My original prescription was 2 tablets every four hours. I cut it back to one tablet every four hours but found I wasn't on top of the pain so went back to 2. Now I would like to cut back again (it messes with my head) but every time I try, I get really bad hot flashes.




RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Simplieme You are not alone with the bladder issues. I had leakage issues for several months preop. I also had postmenopausal bleeding. Went to OBGyN and had tests done. Ended up having a D&C in January. Found out that I don't have cancer. That's a blessing. The Dr just doesn't know why I have the bleeding. Will probably end up with a partial hysterectomy. A month before having THR I stopped having leakage etc. I was so happy!! But today the bleeding started again. :oyvey: I wear the long pads. :gaah:

Hope you are enjoying your day.
 
@Arlene56 glad to hear you got your staples out, you feel so much better for that. I did actually pass out !!!

There's nothing like a walker, and bladder leak pads for making you feel old ??!!! That and the hot flashes really made me feel down. However this lovely warm sunny weather is very uplifting.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Yeah @Simplieme, what the heck is all the old lady stuff about? You know, it just isn't fair that we women have all these aging issues (I'll forego the LONG list), but men just get more refined looking with age! A very, very cruel joke and one that I don't is all that funny! :heehee:
 
@Mrs.Missed I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble with your incision. For what it's worth I will tell you about mine. When they took my staples out, they put those steri-strips over it to keep it closed (some parts were closed more than others) that made me feel better, because I had a fear of it coming open like my daughters c section did. They said to leave those on till they fell off, which took about 10 days. It's all closed and dry now, the bit at the top is the worst. I figure I must've pulled at that sitting down. Last night it started stinging, some really sharp pains, so I put some ice on it. Today I spoke to a nurse, who reassured me the stinging means it's healing just like itching does.
They say a problem shared is a problem halved. I think that's one of the great things about this BS forum.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom