Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 Yes too right my friend. It's not fair! I'm scheduled for varicose vein surgery next month, and yet my hubby has way better legs than me my mother totally refused to use a walker, and at the time I couldn't understand why - now I get it


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
That's interesting, @Simplieme as my incision has been stinging a bit the last couple of days. Glad to know it's just healing.
 
Well four weeks post op now! I look back and I can see I've come a long way - but I still have a long way to go!
Today I have been able to walk around the house without my cane! I will still use the cane to go outside, but I am anxious to get my body and muscles correctly aligned, so that when I do start to build the muscles up again, everything is in the right place.
I still have groin pain - it responds best to icing. I guess it still has some healing to do? At its worse it makes me limp. The lump I initially felt on my butt when trying to sit down, turns out I can feel a bump/groove under the flesh on my butt cheek. It's still feels tender. Has anyone else got this? I'm assuming it is from the surgery? Will it heal and go away? Or am I stuck with it??
I'm still on Tramacet, but I'm decreasing the dose slowly now (thanks @Cynthia777 ) and that's reduced the sweats I was experiencing when I cut down too quickly.
 
Wish I could help with your other questions, but my incision is on the fron of my hip. Isn't it crazy how quickly the meds cause withdrawal symptoms when coming off of them? It kind of threw me for a loop when I started those hot flashes/sweating and a yucky feeling overall when dropping just one pill.

I thought I felt great at four weeks, but at 7 weeks I'm feeling almost 100% normal! Just a few more weeks for you...:-)
 
@Cynthia777 I'm so pleased to hear you are doing so well! You're quite the roll model! With the meds, did you have any trouble with your vision?? I'm trying to figure if my problem is my eyes or my glasses.
 
No not suddenly. The nose pad on my glasses broke,so I'm thinking they were not sitting right for a time. I've got it fixed and had them adjusted and it's better.
 
I'm glad you're doing so well, Simplieme! That's wonderful.
Can I ask, are you walking without a limp when you don't use the canes? I'm starting to get a tiny bit worried that I still need both canes to avoid a horrible limp.
 
@Zelda
I too have that limp. My OS said a limp is quite normal because I need the 2nd hip replaced. He said he built up my cartilage which in turn creates a LLD, but he will correct the it when I have the second hip done. He also told me to continue using the walker if I limp while using a cane. He doesn't want my brain to learn to limp (sounds so funny). He said retraining the brain to not limp takes time and a lot of work, so it's best to avoid it at all costs. Hope this helps. :-)
 
@Zelda Yes I do have a slight limp, but it seems connected to my groin pain. The more it hurts the more I limp. The more tired I am affects it too. So, I'm still taking some Tramacet and icing lots. If I focus on my walking I also think that makes me limp. So I just hold my head up and go. I can feel that all that soft tissue isn't healed properly yet, I don't think we should be walking that far yet. I also still have that LLD
 
Thanks, @Cynthia777 It really does help.
:)

I'm the same in that I've been told to keep using the two canes for the same reason but I've no noticeable LLD.
 
Thanks, Simplieme. It's nice to get a sense of other people's progress.
 
Your welcome @Zelda
I'm not walking excessively without my canes. Just around the kitchen and from bedroom to bathroom. I felt I was able to so I tried it. It's been good for me because before that I was struggling to stop taking all my weight on the walker with my arms. I needed to be able to trust my new hip.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Wishing everyone a Happy Birthday Easter !!! Just me and hubby here this weekend. Son is on his way to Alaska and his wife is out east trying to get her mom home following her medical emergency on the way back from vacation. The others are of course in the UK
Week 4 to 5 haven't seen a huge change. More confident walking now I guess, waiting for soft tissue to heal, I wonder how long that takes?? Groin pain still there, icing really help, also with butt pain/bump which I can still feel.
Pursuaded hubby to shave my legs :heehee: took him three goes :rotfl: but feels much better now.
Been working from home this last two weeks.. I'm keeping up with the paperwork, but I feel I'm a long way from having the stamina to go to work full time. I don't think the people at work understand, they seems to think six weeks and then I'm good to go. My friend there told them I wasn't ready yet and when I do go back it won't be full time at first. She said they just stared at her.
 
@Simplieme
Glad to hear you are doing so well! Have you been able to talk to doctor about groin & hip pain?
As far as the people at work not understanding, I think unless you have personal experience with a surgery like this or have helped someone close to you it is hard to understand. Hopefully you can help people understand better so they can be more compassionate to the next person who is having this surgery. But we also must remember it is our responsibility to do what we have to do for us & to be our own advocate. So you'll have to set your limits.
Yours is a brave hubby shaving your legs...& maybe you are brave letting him do it! Know it must feel better though!
Happy Easter!
SweetPea69
 
@SweetPea69 i have an appointment with my OS in 10 days, I'm already making a list of things to ask!
I know my work colleagues feeling are purely selfish. I have to start as I mean to go on. My friend is my best advocate, I'm lucky.
@Miss Muffet I did wait till I was off blood thinners!! Lucky I got no nicks. You gotta wonder how they manage to shave their faces every day
 
@Simplieme Glad you are doing better. Icing does help doesn't it? You are correct, people just don't understand all the physical pain and emotional upheaval one goes thru. I hope your colleagues will be more compassionate.

Enjoy your Easter!
 
Happy Easter!
How about you email each of your co-workers a video of the surgery you just went through? That may shut them up...oops, I mean start them talking and letting you know they understand why you aren't ready to return yet! The gall!!!!! :banghead:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom