Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Progress<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it interesting the different takes each Country has??? (I'm a Britt living in Canada)
My crutches are already set up at the right height by a physio from previous surgery I had. I've also found a taller walker. I'll give it a go over the weekend.
Pretty sure it's already been mentioned on here, but I seem to have one leg longer than the other.
I did have before surgery but my OS said he would correct it. But I think he may have done too much ??


RTHR February, 22, 2016
 
I work in a Seniors Facility, and yesterday I went in to see them. They were all pleased to see me, and of course wanted to know how I was doing. Interesting that all the "hippies" would smile then shake their heads and say "it's hard isn't it ?"
Tomorrow my husband goes back to work. I think I can manage most things on my own. I'm three weeks post op tomorrow. I probably should get some more pick up sticks, they're never in the right place when you need them.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
 
Is it ok to just call today a bad day??
Two days ago I walked outside, it felt good and I did good. I don't think I overdid it. Yesterday I just did the usual go around - rest, walk around the house, sit, rest etc Today I have more groin pain. I went outside to walk, it did not feel as good. My groin hurt and I didn't feel as stable, I cut my walk short and went home.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
I'm so sorry you've had this little set back. I've read so many posts that say, "two steps forward and one step back". Hopefully tomorrow will see you stepping forward two steps. Hugs!
 
Welcome to recovery. It's very normal to feel like you are two steps forward, one step back. Just keep trying. What seems impossible one day is very easy on another. You'll get there!
 
@Simplieme - we all have bad days, so don't think you're alone. I'm not on the other side yet, but seem to think I've read here that the one day on one day rest system worked for some ...? I don't mean do nothing at all, just make the "rest" day less onerous so the muscles have a chance to catch up. I'm sure others will jump in if I've got this wrong. Very best wishes - am convinced you'll get there
 
Last week, when I had less pain than before, I had backed off my Tramadol (from 2 every 4 hours to 1 every 4 hours)
However yesterday, after all the groin pain and aborted walk outside, I decided to go back to 2 every 4 hours. I think this has helped. Pain is less today, though my head feels a bit spaced out. I spoke to my Pharmacist and said he recommended I don't try to wean off Tramadol just yet.
How long have others stayed on Tramadol?

Another thing I've found with the Tramadol is that, whilst I can sleep on my back, I experience strange dreams!! I've had a couple now, both times I've shouted out in my sleep (poor hubby got woken) last night I dreamt some people stole somethings from outside the house, I went after them shouting "come back you thieving ********". Well!! I can tell you that is not the kind of language I normally use! I have no idea where it came from
I woke up soon after and knew I'd been shouting. I noticed hubby was awake so I quietly said
Me: did I wake you?
Hubby: yes
Me: did I just shout
Hubby: yes


How embarrassing !!!!! ?????


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Simplieme
I had to laugh at the visual you gave about you, hubby and your dream! I found it especially funny because it was so out of character for you! Now if that had been me, hubby would have assumed I was awake! :heehee:
All kidding aside, I also had some really weird dreams leading up to surgery and after I got home. I never remember my dreams, but I sure woke up remembering those. Others have said they had odd dreams as well...so you're not losing your mind! :loll:
 
Simplieme, I stayed on Vicodin plus tramadol for a full month. Then I started cutting back on the vicodin during the day, and stayed on tramadol plus tylenol for another two months or so. Somewhere around month 4/16 weeks, I weaned off the tramadol....fully done by 5th month.

We are all different, so you have to find your own balance. But as you attempt to do so, make very small, gradual changes, so you can assess the effects and easily correct it if you aren't ready for that change. So instead of going from 2 to 1 for EACH 4 hour period, try it for just one period during the day....maybe your least active time of day. If that goes well for 2 or 3 days, then try a second period during the day where you cut it down to 1. And so on. Or you can also try stretching one of your doses by maybe half an hour to begin with. Then stretch another dose half an hour. Pretty soon you may be able to get down to 3x a day instead of 4.

It's trial and error for sure....but try in very small increments and err on the side of keeping you comfortable. And don't worry about it....you'll get there, I promise. :)

Sharon
 
Hi @Simplieme!
As others have already commented on, one step forward, two steps back is a common malady we have all experienced at one time or another, especially in the first 4-8 weeks of recovery. This will pass...I promise. The best thing you can do for yourself, is give in to it with rest, ice and elevation.
And, oh the dreams! I had some pretty wild ones, myself, which I totally blamed on the narcotics. Once I started cutting back on them, the dreams cut back, as well. I was one who couldn't take Tramadol...gave me horrendous heartburn within 10 minutes of swallowing it. Percocet, however, worked very well for me.
Also, if you ever find yourself without your reacher, you can always use the "golfer's reach" to pick something up. That is, bend with your good leg and stretch your op leg out behind you. This doesn't break any restrictions you may have. Just make sure you have something to hold on to, for balance, while bending. Hope all goes well for you today.
 
Hi @Nana757
Thank you so much for your comments. Today is a better day!
Great tip about the golfers reach! I now remember doing that with my last surgery. I had an Acetabular labral tear first and my right hip, and was six weeks non weight bearing. Wish I had just had it replaced then, but all the medics said I was too young. I'm amazed now how young folks are here on BoneSmart


RTHR February 22, 2016
 
Hi @Simplieme
There was an article on the news here about the huge number of younger people getting hip replacements nowadays. My GP was quite surprised that my OS was quite happy to operate straight away and all the nurses etc. I see comment on my age.

I'm glad you're feeling better today. At least the going backwards feeling didn't last too long.
 
Feeling somewhat better. Increased ROM after the swelling went down is a really good feeling, and I'm using that to tell myself I'm improving.
Still using my walker. I still find i have to put weight on it , supporting myself with my arms. I'm working on not doing that, but it isn't easy. I can stand up tall and take weight on my hip with no pain. But when I walk I feel hesitant to take all the weight on my right leg, and it feels a little weak around the groin. They told me at the hospital to trust my new hip.
Do you think it's a pain memory thing or is it the muscles are still healing? And what can I do to get over this. ?????
I do think at least my body is telling me not to push things, but hope it's not holding me back


RTHR February 22, 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom