THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

Hi Dana,
I hope you're feeling better today and that you're RA isn't acting up.
Don't know about you but I'm over this cold weather.
High of 6F today. I'm sure you're still cold also.
Hurry up already Spring!
A great week to you :flwrysmile:
@danabanana
 
@SaraK it's all good, luv. I most often just fill a bowl with frozen fruit and dump some probiotic yogurt on it. It's delicious!!!! So no disappointment at all. :loveshwr:

I had actually typed out that reply yesterday and thought I'd hit POST REPLY, but it didn't post lol

SUPERBOWL !!!! Go Eagles!!!! :happydance:

Also...here's my cute patootie sweetheart apple of her Nana's eye, makes me forget all about my aches and pains and the fact I'm on a diet and can't have wine. Sigh lol
My daughter did a baby fashion show this morning, dressing her in outfits I had saved for her from when her and I were babies. She's rocking the some vintage 70's and retro 90's....followed by a super adorable crochet hat.

Viewer Advisory: The following pictures contain extreme cuteness. You may melt.


[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
So, is it okay that I'm still needing to ice my hip all the time? Im still dealing with so much tenderness. Maybe its because of the LLD and not something wrong with the implant. I've booked an appt with the Pedorthist, next Tuesday, who will assess my LLD ect. I'm excited about this part because walking is not fun when one leg is longer than the other. I wince if I'm not careful to balance just right. Such a drag, all of this. I need to get rid of this KK Butt! Hahahaha
 
Hi dear, Dana :wave:
That baby fashion show is adorable, made me chuckle!

As long as you're having pain and swelling, I'd ice.
But at this point, I'd want to know what's causing the pain. If you are
diagnosed with LLD you can get a shoe lift, hopefully lose the pain and begin to move forward.
Do you have reason to think there is something wrong with your implant?
Or...are you just wondering because of the pain and swelling?
@danabanana
 
@Layla I'm just wondering because of the pain and swelling still. I am officially on a wait list for an appt with a surgeon for a second opinion ....but I'm told the wait could upwards to 9Mons! It was suggested to me by @SaraK and Hubby to get on the list because I can always decline the appt if by that time I doing feel I need it.
 
Hi again, Dana
Let's tag @Josephine and have her weigh in on your x-rays under post #686
Check back in case she has questions regarding the exact location of your pain and swelling.
It seems like this has been dragging on and stalling your recovery. Hopefully Jo can advise.
Wishing you comfort and some answers...

There is also a post op x-ray in post #177
@danabanana
 
Last edited:
Has Jo ever posted one of those pain graphs on your thread?
 
@danabanana
First of all - that BABY!!! I have no gbabies yet - maybe never - I have grand dogs...

Second- is that a normal time to get in for a second opinion where you live? It seems like quite a long time to wait. Did you ever get started with a PT, at least for gait analysis? Good PT's can help assess your issues and maybe help refer you to get a second opinion sooner than nine months. Well the podiatrist should be able to
Offer an opinion too, so that's a great step in the right direction.

Hopefully Josephine can help analyze your recovery so far too.

We want you running around with that grand baby soon!
 
@Layla
Back in the very early days, Jo did post a pain diagram.. ..that was for different pain though and she figured sciatica. Thanks for tagging her again for me. :roseshwr:

@BeBe the Pedorthist will assess my gait etc and once I'm fitted with the correct lift I can see their PT for help in walking better. Regarding the wait....Ortho is high demand where I live. Waits are often long but it also depends in urgency. The Pedorthist will be able to move things a little faster if he deems so. I also see my GP on the 26th and will discuss things with him. I just want to be sure I'm not overreacting.

I'm doing a fair bit despite pain I'm in, normal things like cooking, light housework, short trips to the market etc. but I am concerned to be feeling this much tenderness, swelling, and pain at this point still.

I realize everyone's recovery is their own but on a whole, I see far more progress by others here at this point post op than I'm experiencing. It's all quite possible my body is just doing like it does because I have CROHNS DISEASE and RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, taking its sweet time to cooperate, and maybe my expectations are just too high.

I'm envious of those with "normal" recovery...... It's like feeling as though you're always the Bridesmaid and never the Bride. Hahaha oh boy, I'm just being a whiny pants. Bare with me. This too shall pass.

Missing my glass of Vino. Oh the woes of dieting!
 
Last edited:
I still iced angry chance I got very regularly for first 4 months.
Did not, however, have as much visible swelling as you describe.
Not sure how RA might be affecting.
How much and how often are you able to walk, Dana?
It really is still early days, but will be interested to see what Jo thinks.
One day at a time.
BTW, You have the cutest granddaughter...how wonderful.
 
is it okay that I'm still needing to ice my hip all the time?
Dana, can you lease describe to me all your aches and pains and where they are, if they occur on weight bearing and do on.

Here's my pain chartv- please indicate you pain spots again

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Thank you @Josephine

Pain is sharp at times, not constant...on the front xL2F when weight bearing and walking. Comes in sudden twinges, then is okay for a bit.

TL2F is a particularly sharp pain spot.
Sharp and painful to touch w-x L1F/L1B
Pain-deep aching, tender to touch, and swelling from s-y L1F/L1B

Also pain top of x L3B
 
Last edited:
Okay, quite a spread then

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<


Red spot: most likely from walking too much and too hard
Blue spot: the same
Green spot: is almost certainly Trochanteric bursitis
Black area: ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues
And the purple spot very likely to be Piriformis syndrome

All of these are caused by doing too much exercising/PT too vigorously. I think I advised you about this before.
STOP all the exercising. Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Thank you, @Josephine

Okay, so I have the odd day that my step count is close to 6000, but that's an all day total, not all in one shot. Most days I'm averaging 3000. I rarely leave my house because our weather is so terrible, so that's just puttering around the house.

What I have been doing is hip safe stretching for the sciatica and ITB. Have not used my roller though because I've felt so tender-should I particularly for the ITB ? Otherwise do some upper body exercises and a few ups and downs on my in-house stairs (it's a short flight of 14 steps) every day and I'm certainly not moving at a normal rate, but rather it's quite the snail's pace. Should I omit those?

I was told by my OS to practise them because I have stairs in and out of my house but although he said to exercise my new hip rigorously, I have not. He dismissed my pains, including any bursitis, essentially poo-poo'ing me, saying "it's muscles because you're out of shape so you need to exercise it. Treat your new hip as normal." This is the most recent xray.

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Having looked at your xray, I have changed my mind about your pain sites.

I now think
the blue spot could very likely be due to that long screw
the red, green and black could probably be due to a loose stem as there appears to be no bone-to-metal bonding there
 
Thank you, @Josephine for looking at the xray. I've wondered about that screw since right out of surgery as a reason for that spot of pain. OS said nope...not possible...so I dismissed it. I wasn't sure about loosening because OS said it would be primarily front of thigh if it were loose and he said the xray "looks perfect" but I wondered about it because the stem doesn't look like there's full contact to the bone.....What do I do now?
 
Last edited:
It would appear you know a lot! Next thing is to find yourself a second opinion.
 
Oh @danabanana i am sorry you are going hour this Even before reading Josephine’s reply, I questioned your os. Mine told me with first hip while there were no technical restrictions, it could be a year or more to get back to presurgical levels, healing takes time. He never suggested I do anything that caused pain, and I think we are smart enough to recognize the difference between sore muscles and pain. I am on my second full post op day from second hip and am not experiencing what you have been describing on here for at least the past six weeks.

I hope you are able to arrange a second opinion from someone outside of his practice.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom