THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

I have a real love/hate-mostly hate, relationship still with Log Leg. I'm frustrated with how awkward, and stiff, and sore, and uncomfortable it feels to "walk" on it. I feel so out of shape right now too....my Fitbit recorded CARDIO EXERCISE today! All from climbing in and out of the truck and hobbling like a snail on my one crutch! Hahaha oh man, it's tragic! Been elevating and icing since then. Ice ice baby! :ice:Gonna live vicariously through @SaraK :happyfeet:
 
Last edited:
@danabanana - if I'm living la vita Loco for two, I need to step up my game.
@Layla - yes - feeling good today. It was a little stiff this morning from being in the bed, new positions, less ice but had a good PT appt (even my PT is trying to find my brake) and cycled and walked at the gym after work (in addition to cycling, walking backwards on the treadmill loosens up the hip flexor and reduces pain from sitting all day.
I've given up on work this week being part time and am just trying to take some mental breaks during the day - checking in with my fellow Hippies being my favorite break. Looking forward to the weekend!
 
When I went to PT in hospital, they could not believe I knew how to do all the things there were showing me! We have all been in pain for so long, we have to figure out have to do everything the easy way before surgery. There need to be pre op classes!!
 
Happy Friday to you too @MammaT :wave:

@Berber7227 So happy to have made you laugh!!! :happydance:
Here, I had to go through two pre op classes. These are mandatory...and dreadfully boring. Haha One shortly after you give the okay to have the surgery (joint replacement is considered Elective here, unless broken) and then another class once you've gotten your surgical date.
 
Last edited:
I had to go through a class before each one as well - definitely boring and not very useful. Considered elective in the US as well unless broken hip.
 
I attended something....I guess I'd call it an orientation. It was only hubby and me with an RN and then a PT.
RN basically showed us around where I'd be pre-op. She then explained all the prescribed meds which I had to bring myself, then turn over to them since they don't dispense them there. I found it odd but I'd never done this before so what did I know? It was a lot of you come in, you go here, then you go there, then you do this etc.

PT showed me the room I'd be spending the night in. She had me go through the exercises I'd being doing the next day after surgery, hahaha! She explained I'd be dressed in my own clothes, no hospital garb, by the time I got to my room after surgery / recovery WHAT?!!!! I brought the softest jogging pants and t shirt I owned, like pjs to me. They explained I'd be walking the hall guided by some contraption that had a bar that went around my waist supporting me and was hooked up to a monorail at the ceiling. I tried it before surgery, didn't like it. Post op I told PT I wanted to walk the hall with my walker instead, she didn't care, so I did.

The two meals served there, actually to both hubby and I, were selected at orientation. I was asked to choose between two local restaurants, then looked at their menu and gave the RN our selections, we were laughing!
No kitchen at the surgery center.
 
I'll bet you were the youngest!
Were they all asking you questions?
Like...why do you need a replacement?
 
The second was the worst. Since I was going to a different place for surgery, they made me go thru theirs. I just kept being told that it was unlikely I'd recover as fast as the time before (they apparently don't understand I go into hyperactive when I'm told I can't do something). They kept going over things like home health (which I didn't plan to sign up for), all of the various paraphernalia (all I got was walker and cane). In other words, @Layla, they were shaking their heads at me as much as you do. At the end, they gave me a cheesy t-shirt for my son that said "COACH" (which is what they called the primary caregiver) that my son said he'd take a bullet before wearing! 3 hours (including traffic getting there and back that I can never get back!
 
@Layla I was indeed a hot topic of conversation. Interestingly enough, also the only one there using a walking aid! Short distances I could manage, but I used a cane for longer times because the pain could come quite suddenly. PT, who ran the class, had a very sympathetic look for me....saying to the class while gesturing to me, how often OA is hereditary. When I explained my reasons being AVN from steroids to manage my Crohns, she gasped! I was the first case of AVN in her class in over 2yrs of her doing that's classes 4x a week. Almost felt like Celebrity status! @SaraK No Oscar for me though, not even a T-shirt :rofsign:

@beckylou You naughty girl. Careful or that hunky man of yours may need to spank you.......nevermind, you'd probably like that! :eyebrows:
 
Ok, just have to say this is the best thread! I'm still pre-log leg, but it's coming up fast. When friends have asked how they can help, I tell them...just keep me laughing! Little did I know it was right here. So, can I just request that this thread continue on for another few months! I went to my 'hip class' yesterday and had Saturday Night Live skits running through my head. Anyways, thanks for the levity...until such time as I start whining and want some empathetic encouragement!
 
@jlsotr YAY!!!! So happy to have you join us! I always say, why be serious when you can be ridiculous?! Although admittedly it's gotten me in a few sticky situations, and there's always that one person in the crowd that has not a single funny bone in their body, but that has never stopped me. :heehee:
 
So happy news....I got my Crohns drugs in hand and the all clear! Gonna be a rough day tomorrow as I have to inject 4 doses as opposed to the maintenance level of 1. Even the day after 1 injection I experience what I refer to as a Hangover feeling....but 4 doses will absolutely suck-like being hit by a Mac truck yet not dying, kind of suck. BUT....the sooner this all gets in my system and my levels back up, the sooner I won't be such a stinky pooping abdominal griping cranky mess! So just a heads up...one of two things will happen tomorrow....I'll either be on here loads to distract myself from misery, orrrrrrr I'll be mia because I can't function except to zone out on Netflix and drool into my pillow! :dead:

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<


In other news...look at this sleeping beauty!!!!! :roseshwr:
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<
 
Last edited:
Hi Dana,
That baby is so sweet!

I'm happy for you that you'll finally find relief with your Crohns meds. I know you've been suffering.
It's too bad it might get worse before you feel better. I hope that's not the case.

I find it interesting about the Crohns / Prednisone / AVN connection. There's another lady on the forum
who suffers with Crohns - Hairtoys- not sure if you've ever stopped by her thread but I'm now wondering
if there's any connection with her hip, as there was with yours.

She's had a rough go of it lately. She's currently recovering from revision surgery. Stop by her thread if you have time.

Wishing you a good night and prayers you're not miserable tomorrow as you get back on track with your meds.
@danabanana
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom