TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
You pain meds are too low. You could take three of those per dose and still be within limits: 112.5mg Tramadol and 975mg paracetamol.

As for that PT, don't let him anywhere near you! Planning to cause a patient that much pain is outrageous and not going to do you a scrap of good, especially since you are having problems with your pain meds at the moment.

You do know you don't actually need a PT and that it's perfectly possible and reasonable to do it all on your own, don't you? Very few patients in the UK get any formal PT, just a couple of checks to see they are progressing okay. Other than that, we use this kind of regime Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress

Some clarifications and updates:

I forgot to mention that in between doses of Zaldiar I was told to take 45 drops of Optalgin with 1 paracetamol pill of 500 mg and this has been working well. And oddly I generally feel less pain during the day! At night for some reason the pain has been worse, but since this new regime all is better, although not 100% pain free. I find that icing makes the difference and I am using it A LOT!

I ended up canceling the PT the other day because I had a bit of a stomach upset. He is coming on Tuesday. My plan is that I will repeat my wishes and if he cannot or will not comply I'll let him go.

I've never thought of trying to do the exercises on my own but now I am considering it.
 
Yes, I am glad the Jo jumped on--so three of those pills is a fairly normal dose of pain meds and should help you so that you are not distracted by pain.

Also, that pt is a bully. He always causes a level 5 pain??? Are you kidding me?? I have not had one minute of pain in pt--nothing above a 2 EVER. My rom is 140---that brute is wrong, wrong, wrong.

You cannot bend a swollen knee and , in fact, should not bend it if it is swollen.

just do gentle heel slides, quad sets and leg lifts like Jo suggested. Ugh. I would not put up with him for five minutes who does he think he is??? kelly

Thanks Kelly. I needed to be told what you are saying.

It's funny how I have a hard time seeing this with regards to myself, even though it's easy for me to see it with others.

I'll keep you posted.
 
Kelly is so right and I'm so glad you're finally getting the message, Bassplayer. Don't like hearing that another BoneSmartie is being hurt by PT and should put her foot down---HARD.

Please take care of yourself----get rid of that PT--keep us posted. We care
 
Hi Bassplayer -Glad you're getting the pain under control. As for the physio I did most of it on my own and I'm doing fine.
 
I'm glad the pain is easing off now and hopefully you will feel more comfy. If your PT guy is set in his ways of trying to push you too hard tell him to sling his hook!! Here in the UK many of us go to physio only for guidance and to be measured and then do all the work at home on our own and we do just fine.

Take care Bassplayer and sleep well tonight.
 
Hi Bassplayer, I also am doing physio on my own since my insurance would not cover the cost. I am doing just fine. I just wish that I had a way to accurately measure my ROM, just for curiosity's sake. The ap that I downloaded on my ipad is just not accurate. There is plenty of guidance right here on our website to do the rehab yourself. There are also many who are doing it on their own to encourage you. The nice thing about being your own PT is that you know when it is too much.
[Bonesmart.org] Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel This is my ROM at 8 weeks. I just have no idea what the number is on it...

So, did they finish with the construction? Do you have your peace and quiet back? I sure hope that you do!
 
BJ, your leg looks line mine or better even!! My rom is 145, so Iwould imagine that you are somewhere in that range. Kelly--this is, of course, unscientific!!
 
BJ
You can buy a goniometer from Ebay, they are so inexpensive and you use one to measure your ROM. Look them up, I was tempted to buy one before I went into hosp and still might.
I hope my ROM looks as good as yours at 8 weeks, I am 2 weeks only and still cant bend due to the stiffness and tight feeling.
I suppose its early days for me but I could not even get that much bend in my arthritic knee before the op lol, well done you.
Viv xx
 
BJ
You can buy a goniometer from Ebay, they are so inexpensive and you use one to measure your ROM. Look them up, I was tempted to buy one before I went into hosp and still might.
I hope my ROM looks as good as yours at 8 weeks, I am 2 weeks only and still cant bend due to the stiffness and tight feeling.
I suppose its early days for me but I could not even get that much bend in my arthritic knee before the op lol, well done you.
Viv xx

Thanks for the tip about where to get a goniometer. I sure hope that you get excellent ROM too. At two weeks I had so much swelling that I felt fortunate to get 90, we pushed and got more, but it seemed like it really did not want to be beyond 90... Even with my arthritis I was able to get that heel to my butt before surgery, so I really would like to get back there if possible. If not I will deal with it and be thankful that I have excellent ROM anyway... I will monitor and adjust, life is full of making adjustments. We can be all mopey or we can do some mourning and then get on with it...
 
Big day today - it's exactly six months since my first TKR and 2 weeks since the second. I had my staples out today and several of them were quite painful. I'm resting a lot today (and increasing chocolate consumption) to calm down.

Also I ran into trouble the last couple of days where I got complacent and didn't take meds on time and I paid for that big time!! That won't happen again. It took so long to regain equilibrium after messing up my schedule and I went through more agony than was necessary. Learned my lesson!

The PT guy was fine. He is doing what I want even though he would rather move faster than I am willing. So far so good!
 
Good to hear that your PT guy is doing what you want, and good job for standing up for yourself and letting him know what you want. Well done!!!
 
Thanks BJ! It really was a big deal and I was so worried that I might have to let him go. Feeling very overwhelmed this week...
 
Good Afternoon Bassplayer

Congratulations on knee number 1 and I think chocolate is the best way to celebrate - good for you :yay:. Well done on your PT issue - I bet you feel really relieved that it's going your way. Remember - medicate, ice and rest (gentle stretches only). Take care.
 
Good to hear that you're taking care of yourself. That 6 month mark is huge. Onward to even more success !
 
Well done all of you, bassplayer I too had my staples out yesterday (thursday) and I cried my eyes out ! They were so painful and the nurse had to twist to get them out, seems they had got so tight that they were partially buried. Consequently I am now bleeding down the end of my scar. Oh well glad to be rid of them anyway.
Starting physio in earnest on Monday as my dates and times have been changed so often by the hosp that I have not had any yet. Good thing in a way as I am so tight and stiff I dont think I would have got good results.
Hoping for a fresh start on Monday, glad your pain meds are now under control, its taken me two weeks also to be virtually painfree and I slept on and off all night last night, result !!:egypdance:
Onwards and upwards !
Viv xx
 
Oh Viv I'm so sorry to hear that your staple removal was so terrible. I also had mine out yesterday and I cried throughout the whole thing. I had several that were deeply embedded as well. I had such trauma from this total agony that I did NOTHING for the rest of the day. For my first TKR it wasn't nearly as bad. I'm so glad this is over with now.

I have been doing some gentle stretches here and there but mostly not feeling up to anything. The meds are ok now as long as I make sure to take them by the clock. I feel like the situation is precarious though.

In general I'd have to say that this post-TKR recovery is going worse than the first by far. I haven't even been outside yet, might try tomorrow. Last time at this point I was already able to hobble around the neighborhood a bit with the walker.

And I'm worried about my sister leaving Thursday night. Don't know how I can get along without her. Hoping things will improve by then.
 
Hi Bassplayer, sorry to hear that your going such a rough time. Glad you got your meds issue under control but remember to medicate on time!!!! I too have had that problem, then finding it was taking way too long to get relief. I also glad to hear that the PT guy is listening to you, way to go:yay: Yes, you really needed a choclate fix. kept up the good work and stay true to you.
Kim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom