TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, bassplayer.
Sounds like you are on a rollercoaster ride. I pray that the highs and lows even out for you today. Sorry about the construction that is frazzling your nerves. Would music or some sort of white noise help? Get creative with shutting out the noise to make yourself more calm and comfortable. I understand. A few years ago my husband hurt his back and a bird outside our window was driving him crazy. He usually loves to hear the birds chirp, and this was a beautiful bird, but when he was in pain, it got on his last frazzled nerve. I remembered that when my son was a bay he fell asleep every time a vacuumed, so I tried it. Worked like a charm. Put him to sleep. Try a fan, I hear that sometimes works. Take care of yourself. I'll check in on you tonight.
 
Thanks Nyland. Thanks for answering so fast! It is too loud to drown out. Someone told us that they hope to be done today.

I'm just so feeling sorry for myself today and wondering how I'll ever get through the pain. ALL DAY IN BED with icing. It's the only way...hope I am strong enough...
 
All great suggestions Nyland! White noise is a wonderful tool!
I wish you the best for today and forward Bassplayer!:thumb:
 
Thanks Jackie. Hope your recovery is going well and sorry I cannot follow people's threads more. I do care and when I'm feeling better I will catch up.
 
Oh dear bass player, that is awful to finally be home to your own bed and not to have peace and quiet. I do hope that they finish quickly and leave you in peace. In the meanwhile perhaps music listened through earphones would help to sooth and block out their noise.

I also hope that the nasty pain with every step subsides soon. Hang in there! I wish you rest! :sleep::friends:
 
I am so sorry to hear about the construction!! When my husband had a heart attack, they were changing the rooms above him and there was a jackhammer for about 3 hours!! We laughed till we cried!! Do you have an iPod? A little radio with ear buds? Anything to clamp over those ears?

When I went to rock concerts, I used to stuff toilet paper in my ears--anything to lessen that bass!! As a bass player, you must have some resources for noise suppression. is Tramadol. I know that Jo used that when she had her knee done.

I hope I am not bungling into a problem from you last knee that you have already explained five times! Forgive me if I have. I hope today is the day the doc comes so that you can get some pain relief. Kelly
 
Home care doc put me on Tramodol. Hope it will work. Was up for 4 hours last night with terrible pain...
 
Awe man Bassplayer, being up for fours in pain is not helpful for healing at all! I hope Tramadol is helpful in reducing you pain level so can get some much needed rest!:sleep:
 
I know that tramadol worked for Jo. I will tag her so that she talks to you about the dosage she used. @Josephine:
 
Hi Bassplayer!
I sure do hope the tramadol helps. Feel better, my friend. Wishing you a wonderful rest!
 
How much are you taking and how often? If you are only taking 50mg every 6 hours, that's about one third of what you need! Mostly the prescription is 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours so take two every 4 hours. The maximum per 24hrs is 600mgs. It's good to also take 1,000mg paracetamol (Tylenol) at the same time to a max of 4,000mg per 24hrs of course.

My doctor advised me to take 150mg Tramadol on occasions that the pain was really bad and I made use of that quite often!
 
How much are you taking and how often? If you are only taking 50mg every 6 hours, that's about one third of what you need! Mostly the prescription is 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours so take two every 4 hours. The maximum per 24hrs is 600mgs. It's good to also take 1,000mg paracetamol (Tylenol) at the same time to a max of 4,000mg per 24hrs of course.

My doctor advised me to take 150mg Tramadol on occasions that the pain was really bad and I made use of that quite often!


The brand name is Zaldiar. Each pill has 37.5 mg Tramodol Hcl and 325 mg paracetamol. The doctor said to take 1-2 tablets 3 times a day.

I just took 2 and hope I will get through the night this time...but according to what you are saying it may not be enough... :sigh:
 
I will tag Jo again with this post--but that does not seem like enough. I think you should call the office and ask for some plain tramadol (brand name in the US--Ultram) without paracetamol. then, you could take an extra tramadol without increasing your tylenol level.

In the us they come in 25 mg and 50 mg. I used 50 mg every three hours--not three times a day. The problem with your med is that if you took two pills you get 700mg of tylenol--well, maybe that is okay. If you take 3 though, it is getting up there.

If you had some plain tramadol, you could take two of your pills plus one plain tramadol 25 mg for the nighttime dose. At any rate, I am not sure what is wrong with your doctor, but that does not seem like enough pain relief for a tka. @Josephine:
 
Hi Bassplayer - just checked in -not here too often anymore. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Let's hope the worst is behind you and the best is yet to come.
 
I will tag Jo again with this post--but that does not seem like enough. I think you should call the office and ask for some plain tramadol (brand name in the US--Ultram) without paracetamol. then, you could take an extra tramadol without increasing your tylenol level.

In the us they come in 25 mg and 50 mg. I used 50 mg every three hours--not three times a day. The problem with your med is that if you took two pills you get 700mg of tylenol--well, maybe that is okay. If you take 3 though, it is getting up there.

If you had some plain tramadol, you could take two of your pills plus one plain tramadol 25 mg for the nighttime dose. At any rate, I am not sure what is wrong with your doctor, but that does not seem like enough pain relief for a tka. @Josephine:

It is 5 am here. I fell asleep around 12:30 am and just woke up and took 2 Zaldiar and I am icing.

I'll try to find out if we have plain Tramodol here. That doctor who prescribed is not the OS but a doctor who is with the home health service for many years and has treated many post-op patients. He is a good and thorough doctor and I don't think there's anything wrong with him.

I can also check with the OS to see what he recommends, but he has hours next on Friday. I do have his cell though, maybe I'll call.

Also my new PT came. He criticized my previous PT as having been too soft. He says he gets his patients to a 5 or 6 on a pain scale of 1-10. The previous one said 2! And she is no longer in this country, so I need to deal with this new situation. He said I should take pain meds about a half hour before he comes. I feel like this may be the wrong approach, i.e. taking meds before a session. I told him that I want a gentle approach like the previous PT used. So I am worried and he is supposed to come later today. All these issues are overwhelming. Maybe I'll cancel out today until I can get the pain meds issue solved.
 
You pain meds are too low. You could take three of those per dose and still be within limits: 112.5mg Tramadol and 975mg paracetamol.

As for that PT, don't let him anywhere near you! Planning to cause a patient that much pain is outrageous and not going to do you a scrap of good, especially since you are having problems with your pain meds at the moment.

You do know you don't actually need a PT and that it's perfectly possible and reasonable to do it all on your own, don't you? Very few patients in the UK get any formal PT, just a couple of checks to see they are progressing okay. Other than that, we use this kind of regime Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
 
Yes, I am glad the Jo jumped on--so three of those pills is a fairly normal dose of pain meds and should help you so that you are not distracted by pain.

Also, that pt is a bully. He always causes a level 5 pain??? Are you kidding me?? I have not had one minute of pain in pt--nothing above a 2 EVER. My rom is 140---that brute is wrong, wrong, wrong.

You cannot bend a swollen knee and , in fact, should not bend it if it is swollen.

just do gentle heel slides, quad sets and leg lifts like Jo suggested. Ugh. I would not put up with him for five minutes who does he think he is??? kelly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom