TKR Post-Op in Tel Aviv, Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all thanks very much to all the friends who wrote! It means so much!!

I am now taking a new medication Tramadex 100 OD which is a time-release pill that I take once a day. I cannot believe the difference! I am a bit tired from it but have been able to sleep for longer stretches and am rarely feeling pain now!!! If I have pain I take Optalgin and 500 mg Tylenol.

I have not had a PT session for about a week now. I need to make a new appointment. And I am wondering how bad it would be if I just rest and don't do any stretching even? I don't feel like doing anything but could do it if it's critical. Could just walking be enough for now? This TKR is so different and at such a slower pace than the last one. Finally I feel that my gait is improving when I walk outside and might actually walk around the block tomorrow - I've so far just been staying close to my building.

My sister leaves in 2 days...
 
Hello Bassplayer!

I don't think there is any harm in resting at all. as a matter of fact it gives the body time to heal. Sometimes the less you do for a while is better. If you have swelling, or tightness, make sure you are elevating and icing. Sounds like you are well on your way!:yahoo:
 
Hello Bassplayer!

I don't think there is any harm in resting at all. as a matter of fact it gives the body time to heal. Sometimes the less you do for a while is better. If you have swelling, or tightness, make sure you are elevating and icing. Sounds like you are well on your way!:yahoo:

Hey Sonja,

Thanks. I don't know if it's my new meds speaking, but I just want to rest and rest and rest. I haven't been icing much since having started the Tramadex either. I don't have much swelling but I do have tightness so maybe I should ice anyway. For the last TKR I iced very little because it was winter and I was cold all the time.
 
First of all thanks very much to all the friends who wrote! It means so much!!

I am now taking a new medication Tramadex 100 OD which is a time-release pill that I take once a day. I cannot believe the difference! I am a bit tired from it but have been able to sleep for longer stretches and am rarely feeling pain now!!! If I have pain I take Optalgin and 500 mg Tylenol.

I have not had a PT session for about a week now. I need to make a new appointment. And I am wondering how bad it would be if I just rest and don't do any stretching even? I don't feel like doing anything but could do it if it's critical. Could just walking be enough for now? This TKR is so different and at such a slower pace than the last one. Finally I feel that my gait is improving when I walk outside and might actually walk around the block tomorrow - I've so far just been staying close to my building.

My sister leaves in 2 days...

I'm glad you finally have your pain under control, too bad the doctors couldn't do that for you faster. But it's good now, that's what matters. Maybe a rest is what you need. My right knee has done great and I wonder if part of that was because I still couldn't do much till I got the left leg done so the right knee got tons of rest. I did a few weeks of outpatient PT but couldn't do much of anything so stopped going, just did the ankle pumps and stretches when sitting in my chair.
Too bad your sister has to leave, I'm sure you're going to miss her a lot!
 
My right knee has done great and I wonder if part of that was because I still couldn't do much till I got the left leg done so the right knee got tons of rest. I did a few weeks of outpatient PT but couldn't do much of anything so stopped going, just did the ankle pumps and stretches when sitting in my chair.

Interesting, that could explain in part why my left TKR did so much better, since I had a similar situation. I hope this right one catches up soon since I'll be mostly on my own starting on Friday. But I know that these things cannot be controlled. The knee is the boss!
 
Hi Bassplayer

I'm glad you have the pain under control - it makes such a difference to your recovery. I am a massive fan of icing, so I would suggest to ice as often as possible, especially as you comment you have tightness. Remember, sometimes you can't always see the swelling that's going on inside your knee but the tightness is an indication that you have swelling. It goes without saying to elevate as much as possible. As for the exercise I would suggest gentle stretching three times a day - it only need be gentle but it would be worthwhile in the long term. Take a look at the exercises that are in the library - stretching the muscles are good at your stage of recovery (gentle). Take care :thumb:
 
Hi Bassplayer

I'm glad you have the pain under control - it makes such a difference to your recovery. I am a massive fan of icing, so I would suggest to ice as often as possible, especially as you comment you have tightness. Remember, sometimes you can't always see the swelling that's going on inside your knee but the tightness is an indication that you have swelling. It goes without saying to elevate as much as possible. As for the exercise I would suggest gentle stretching three times a day - it only need be gentle but it would be worthwhile in the long term. Take a look at the exercises that are in the library - stretching the muscles are good at your stage of recovery (gentle). Take care :thumb:

Jo, what you say makes sense. I can handle gentle stretches 3x a day and icing more. Yesterday I managed to walk with the walker to a café just a block and a half away. After just 5 minutes of sitting there I had to go home! I had a lot of stiffness after that and the icing helped a lot. I am not yet ready for so much walking I guess.
 
New problem:

Yesterday after taking a too-long walk I was sitting with my leg up and icing and I saw something glinting...and I looked more closely. It was a staple that somehow the nurse (and later the doctor) somehow overlooked last Thursday when she removed the staples. I called them and she is coming back today to take it out. I am so nervous and worried that I barely slept at night and now it is almost 7 am. It was so excruciating last week I don't know how I'll get through this one that has been sitting in there for a whole extra week! Is there anything I can do to ease the pain of the removal beforehand? She will be here between 11 and 1.
 
I didn't have staples so I am not familiar with having them removed but can't she put a topical numbing agent on it to make it more comfortable before taking it out?
I'm sure it will all be ok!:friends:
 
I didn't have staples so I am not familiar with having them removed but can't she put a topical numbing agent on it to make it more comfortable before taking it out?
I'm sure it will all be ok!:friends:

Hi 1ELISEA, I like the idea of a topical anasthetic but don't know if she has one. She certainly didn't use such a thing last week...thanks for the suggestion. I will ask. The only positive thought that I've got now is that it is "only" one staple...
 
Yes, it will only take a moment and it will be out! :)
 
How about if you ice it real good before she gets there. When I was a kid some of the girls would pierce their own ears by freezing them with ice cubes. Granted, that was nuts, but maybe you could try kinda the same thing on your leg. It couldn't hurt. With any luck it'll be out before you even know she got started. :friends:
 
How about if you ice it real good before she gets there. When I was a kid some of the girls would pierce their own ears by freezing them with ice cubes. Granted, that was nuts, but maybe you could try kinda the same thing on your leg. It couldn't hurt. With any luck it'll be out before you even know she got started. :friends:

Sounds like it could work. I'll try it! Thanks!
 
Oh hooray! Turned out that it was the doctor who came and not the nurse, and it was 2 hours early so less time for worrying. He discovered that there were 2 staples and not 1 as I had thought. They came out easily and it was over in seconds! :)
 
I cut my ted hose feet off---just snipped them right about the ankle point. They seem less hot when there is no foot. K
 
I told them pre-op that I could not wear TEDS. I have very heavy legs. They told me that they could get my size as the hospital does bariatric surgery. Well they put them on and I think in my drugged state the same day I asked for scissors and had someone cut them off. I don't remember it at all but the surgeons PA still laughs that when she came in to check on me that day I didn't have them on and no one knew where they were. I am not trying to set an example for anyone. I do know that I could not wear mine. (and yes, I know there is a good reason for them)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom