THR Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi I don't want to have it dislocate and I especially don't want an infection, but I don't dwell on it. It is kind of like driving home from work, I could have an accident and dwell and be all I think about, which would drive me nuts, OR just take it as it comes and 99% chance I will NOT have an accident. There's a chance at failure at what ever we do, but we just don't do it because we MIGHT have a problem...right?? I don't go ASKING for a problem, but if I have one, then deal with it. There are just a few things that we learn on here to do to help matters.....ICE.....MEDS......REST. Those three things will really make your recovery as good as it can be. I know we've talked on here before about how nervous and upset we are and people try to tell us what a piece of cake the surgery is, well....listen to them. If you have any other questions...ask away!! Are you still working with your hip bothering you?
 
Hi @Plumberbutt ....sounds like you are doing well but don't do too much and keep those pain meds up....no shame in using them!!!!

In regards to your calf lets tag @Josephine as sometimes tight calves can be a sign of blot clot. Of course I'm not saying it is....but best to be sure. Are you still wearing those lovely ted stockings? And taking blood thinners?
 
@Plumberbutt , I understand how you feel about not being able to go and do...! I had my DH take me by my work yesterday (inventory time) and not only did I feel guilty for not being able to help, I WANTED to jump in and help! But, like I said before, we have to give up some control in order to re-gain control in the long run. You're doing great, I knew you would :)
 
@Plumberbutt .......I would love to watch the calving. Our neighbor who owns 100's of acres used to have the most wonderful free range cows, they were beautiful and I would just pull over on the side of the road and watch a calf be born, such a beautiful sight, guess that depends on the eye of the beholder.

My first day dropping by my office was in a blue floral pair of satin jammy bottoms and a matching blue t-shirt. My seniors didn't care what I had on they were just so happy to see me. Plus makes dropping your bottoms and showing off your scar so much easier! I knew all the ladies in the beauty shop again the blessing of living in a little rural town. I do wish I could have recorded all the ohhhh and ahhhs and OMG and hands over their mouths! Was one of those priceless moments.

AND as far as us ladies and our holding power...........just think about it, most of us have given birth and with the presence of a 6-9 pounder pressing up against your bladder it does make it a wee bit weaker than you men! I envy my husband on those trips where he can just go and check out the back tire, with me especially before becoming a hippie it was impossible to squat behind a bush! It was either find me a good handicap toilet or we might be in trouble!

It is so beautiful here in Georgia today that I stripped the bed, did the linens and hung them on the clothes line, they are already dry and on the bed, something about fresh air and sheets, again priceless. I was unable to go on the spring break trip to Florida, I was in tears for being so exhausted and I knew the right choice for me was to stay and get stronger.

Tomorrow I will go into the office and try to do the end of the month numbers for about 1000 meals for our seniors, I am the only one who can do it and it must be completed by the 5th so even a little every day. It is so hard not to do like we are used to doing, it is frustrating and it is emotional when I can not fulfil a simple task without being exhausted or start to hurt.

I have some pet hens I need to tend to and am waiting till about 6 to make my way out to the coop and collect the eggs and give them some treats. That will complete my day. Eating and appetite is still nothing. Nothing sounds good, nothing really tastes good, have eaten a bagel and yogurt all day, feel completely satisfied. Please keep the honest postings and continue on the path to wellness. We will be stronger in the end.
 
@glmrphy How you feeling?? Sounds like you are moving right along....follow up tomorrow? I have my follow-up on Thursday and I go to PT tomorrow. I still am really not in any pain. I did have some problems yesterday that kind of scared me. Toeing the mark now for sure!!

My op leg was swelling quite a bit and I am not sure if it was that I overdid things, or I didn't have on my TED hose. It was feeling kind of tender and I didn't know if it could be a clot starting, but I will let you know that I did get those TEDs on pronto!! I then hiked it up plenty high and slept on the sofa. I was going to the bathroom about every 45 minutes and I could tell the swelling was going down. Today I made SURE I was taking it easy and letting it rest. Took naps and really just "healed" today.

I did run out of the dilaudid medication, so I am using only the hydrocodone and still getting plenty of relief. I learned my lesson as I do NOT want a clot. I stay active still, I am moving at least once every hour. Getting up out of bed or off the sofa just to get the blood flowing. Otherwise I am doing well, like I said, it just kinda made me wake up and take things a little more serious.
 
@Plumberbutt , I called my docs office today bc I had taken a shower and really did not want to put those dreaded hose back on and they had told me to wear them until I saw the doc tomorrow. I asked if I could finally leave them off since I was coming in tomorrow and they said, no, keeps the swelling down. So I sighed really big and put them back on. Please be careful with that. I havent had any swelling but I have worn mine for 14 days with exception of showering. Glad you're taking it easy, will post tomorrow about my followup.
 
So....@plumberbutt, when you drove to the calving shed, did you stay in the P/U or get out, walk among them, maybe spread a bucket of feed????
 
I must have been lucky because I didn't have to wear those hose everyone is complaining about, are you guys on Coumadin also? I had the air pumping leggy things for 2 days in the hospital, but once I was up and about they took them off, came home hoseless......Took the surgical tape strips off last night as they were driving me nuts, all frayed, good thing too because my skin is raw where the tape was.......but the incisions look beautiful, very proud of my scars, figure in a year they will be faded into just a fine white line and only me and the metal detectors will know the truth! Have a great day guys.
 
@MajorHeidi yes there is chance if dislocation and infection. As @Plumberbutt said, there's a chance of having accident on way home. Life happens. We can let ourselves get crazy with fears both rational and irrational. It really took a stern talking to myself to reach acceptance. To try to change the things I could and accept the things I couldn't. It's hard work to reach CALM but it is so worth it.

Now I'm laying here at 4 a.m. obsessing about how uncomfortable I am going to be tomorrow IF they don't let me shower or if I have to talk before I brush my teeth. ACCEPTANCE? The mind is a crazy thing!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
No real swelling or pain. Been wondering about bluish tinge then realizing maybe bruising? Or maybe some kind of disinfectant cause I have some on right side too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@GaRosehippy I have a small farm, but just love my babies this time of year. I too live near a rural town and everyone knows everybody here too, but I haven't went to the hair salon yet to drop my drawers, but I suppose I could, they would get a "cackle" out of that!!

@Dieter Are you trying to get me in all kinds of trouble from these women on here....you and I know what happens when I go check the cows, no reason to get me "talked to" by doing too much...again..THANKS A LOT!!! By the way...had to help son tonight put out a round bale with the skidsteer....I wasn't the one taking off the twine wraps..:)

I haven't been on here much lately, yesterday I had PT that went great and today I had my POST op followup visit. I slept most of the day yesterday, to make things even better, I now got a cold, so after my post op followup, I then went to my gp to get meds for my respiratory infection. My poor body is trying to recover from surgery AND fighting a rotten cold!! I have asthma, so when I get a cold, it makes a production out of the recovery of just that!!
At my post op visit, they pulled out the staples, took x rays, we visited and that was about it. The doctor asked about what I thought about my procedure...the experience? What can I say but say how impressed I was with the results and how fast the recovery has been. Believe it or not, they were going to let me go back to work Monday, I corrected him and said NOT this coming Monday, but the 14th. They said....not a problem at all, you are doing fabulous!! It feels so much better now without the staples in there pulling and I am actually walking some without the cane and feel fine without it, by next week though, look out!!! I do at times though get a muscle cramp in my butt, but doesn't last long, so it just unbelievable how fast this has been!! Those of you that are coming up, PLEASE do not worry.....it really is only as bad as you make it on yourself!! I really can't say it enough what a piece of cake it really is, believe me...you will have some days better thank others, but think positive....you'll do great!!! The one thing I was scared about was the BM after the surgery and the narcotics. By being prepared with the stool softeners and the MOM, NO problems!!! Goodnight fellow BSers!!!
 
@teakea66 I forgot to add that I do have the swelling under control and I just think it was from a day of overdoing things
and @MajorHeidi as far as dislocation, you will be able to feel things when it don't feel quite right and just have it in the back of your mind so you will be careful. If I was worried about infection, I probably would NEVER have had it done, because there is always a chance of infection with whatever you do. People who don't even have surgery get infections that can be life threatening and we don't worry every day that we are living life?? I did think about it once, but just to the fact that it would kinda suck if it happened and then that was about it...onto thinking about calves, son, wife, dogs and cats....etc!!! DON'T WORRY!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom