THR Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Plumberbutt welcome home! Remember that mantra - rest, ice, elevate, meds, repeat. You're on your way!
 
@Plumberbutt Wow! You have got this thing and shaking it in your teeth!!
You are home! Did they say you were a new hospital record?
I can only imagine how irritated you were at Wal-Mart. Good grief!
And, to walk with your cane all the way indoors. Oh my!
Ok, so your outfit was on the cute side. :giggle:
But, I guess you are an official Wal-Martian now! :whistle:
 
Glad you're home, @Plumberbutt ... seemed like I had to pee constantly for a few days after getting home. Must be all the fluids that they give us, lol...! But, it's funny how we are all so different in the time staying at the hospital. I had the nurse give my husband all my prescriptions and he went and got them all filled while I finished my last PT session at the hospital. I just wanted to get in our SUV and go straight home, lol...! Don't get me wrong, my doc asked if I wanted to go home the next day and I opted to stay another. But they did keep my drain tube in until later the second day. My hip was swollen and even when they took the drain tube out, the bottle was still actively filling. Guess it all depends on the doc. But, I agree with your statement: Trust your medical team. Get some rest, let ice be your best friend for the next few days, can't wait to continue reading about your recovery... Have you and your doc discussed your other hip with AVN?
 
Great to hear you're doing so well. Keep up the good thoughts and don't let anyone push you too hard for the first couple of weeks. Your body is working hard enough inside just to heal. Even though we feel pretty good most of the time, there's a lot going on in the hip and muscles, so don't get too impatient.
 
@glmrphy I did ask about my other hip and he said it may never get worst, but then again, he did say it could keep getting worst every day too, it is just hard to say he said. My doc did give my wife the prescriptions, but she has ADD and forgot on the way home Wednesday night. Now you also mentioned about a "drain tube"? I didn't have one of those, just a waterproof bandage.
@birdlady I have been taking it easy, I don't want to mess anything up and I want a speedy recovery.

Just took another dose of MOM....and a glass of water, guess what....you got it!!! Gotta GO!!! LOL
 
@Plumberbutt you are doing awesome… I am really afraid and it helps to hear what you said about them all knowing how to do this and to put trust in that….I think that is what I have trouble with… and need to work on… trying to keep a positive mind…keep recovering awesomely:)
 
@Plumberbutt

You mentioned your other hip- I can't remember... do you have pain in your other hip? I have pain in my non operative hip and have wondered what it will be like to try to do stairs and get around with THR in one and pain in the other. Did you have anterior or posterior?

Glad you are doing so well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
 
@younghippie I had anterior....wasn't even sure which until I got out and looked at it. My other hip was starting to bother a bit with the way I was getting around with my limp, but with the pain meds, nothing now!!

When I was leaving yesterday, the med tech let me know that the first and second day post op is the worst and I was doing well that it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Well.....I got home and the swelling started, then the pain, it is a different type of pain, but even with the ice, it was swelling...may not have helped after the Wally World incident. I am thinking though that the dillaudid that they sent me home with isn't the same strength I was getting in the surgery center. I will call today as I know it is important to keep everything under control. I am going to shower later this morning...yippee!!! I could have yesterday, but just wasn't up to it, but I do have to say how good it feels to be at home. :dancy:
 
Thanks! :)

It is really cool that you got to go home so soon. I was shocked when my surgeon said I should be able to head home the day after surgery. Hope you continue to feel better each day!!!
 
@Plumberbutt ....all your posts on being on other side are so encouraging. I too like the other upcoming Hippies am scared and nervous. I hold on to your posts and think positive, although I know everyone's recovery is different, I have to keep good thoughts or I will go nutty :) lol lol.....I for one am very greatful that so many share their experiences after completion of surgery...I look forward to next month being one of them...Again so happy you are doing well. :) Sue
 
@SUE29 I want you to keep positive, because it really is, but I will warn/inform you, that today is not one of my best days. The block must be completely worn off now as I now started alternating dillaudid and hydrocodone for the pain. I'm still icing for swelling, but today has been the worst so far and it should start getting better from here on out. Remember though, like everyone says, it is not the bone on bone pain anymore, just the incision type of pain and it will get better as the days go by. Good luck and keep reading, it really does hep.

@teakea66 PLEASE don't let me get on those pictures of Wal Mart!!!! That is too funny!!
 
@Plumberbutt thanks for the kind words..I am trying my best to be...but then i am not naive to think there will be no pain involved. I will get thru this, like all here have ...Just makes it easy to have great hippie friends.. I am so greatful for this site, and i have said that many many times :) It truly is a god send to me. Today wasn't a great day...so stiff..and having boohoo moments......but I look at how much worse it could be.......Keep on keeping on and I truly enjoy reading your posts whether pain or no pain. I love the honesty :) :thankyou:
 
@Plumberbutt , I am hoping you have gotten your pain under control. Was wondering if they might not need to tweak your meds? Do you have home health nurse coming in? I know my nurse made a call to the doc while she was here yesterday about a couple of my issues, made me feel like I had a real advocate. Remember, you don't want your pain to be out of control or it will be more difficult for you to move around and work your hip. Hope today was better for you!
 
Well...it is almost 2am and like so many others on here before me, I am up in the middle of the night. Wasn't there a song about that "in the middle of the night"?? I was on last night, but I was looped up enough that I wasn't making sense anymore, but was feeling no pain. I go for my PT today just after lunch, will see how that goes. I've been walking pretty decent lately with the walker and will probably use cane more today...who knows, just play it by ear I guess. I have pretty much stayed between the sofa and recliner...they seem to work best for me so far. It has only been 3 days since procedure. I haven't had any problems with getting in or out of bed and "log" leg has not been a problem like it has for some. I wear my TED's during the day and off at night. Not much else to report except it is so nice to finally have it done!!! Like so many others have said....the waiting is the worst part. Take care fellow "hippies"!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom