THR Plumberbutt's A Hippie 3/26/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi I was reading back a bit and found this to be funny...

the loss of control, or having almost none is hard.


I am just making an observation here.....why is it that it is mostly the "gals" on here with the control issues?? LOL You "gals" just have us "guys" all trained!!!! :happydance:

"JUST SAYING"!!!! LOL
 
Wow! I hope I feel look that good next Wednesday!

@Plumberbutt !!!! You look so happy!!!
Wow, is this how you thought it would be????? Or so much better????
Do tell.....:martini:

I'm so trying to figure out how to use my Ipad at hospital so I can be on Bonesmart. My Iphone won't let me post but I can read.
 
@Plumberbutt Just remember the Bonesmart Mantra and DON'T DO TOO MUCH -- that includes PT. Doing too much can set you back. Like Josephine says, and it certainly was true for me, "Hips will sort themselves out without PT." Don't be doing a lot of PT and get those tissues all aggravated.

PS: If you had been in the Wal-Mart where I live, no one would have given you a second glance. I see some really weird getups in Wal-Mart. The other day I was in there and a girl (20s probably) grocery shopping in a pair of red fuzzy pajamas with little scottie dogs on them. Nobody was paying any attention. I do not always look my best when going to Wal-Mart, but at least I do try to put on something else but pajamas.
 
@Butterfly You need to get you some of them jammies.....I can tell you want them!!! LOL :rotfl:

I can tell you though that I didn't care what ANYBODY thought about how I looked at that moment....I had to PEE!!!!
 
@Me2 You will...especially if you think you will!! It is so much better than that "pre Op" pain...I will guarantee that!! Best wishes to you, you'll do great. Please let me know how you get along.
 
Thanks -- the tip about requesting to be up and walking every two hours is great. I am determined to try to be good patient come 4/2 but I am highly motivated to recover as quick as possible. I was wondering how to best be "good" and get hospital cooperation to be up and moving. Also worried about having to stay put in bed/chair at hospital. I hate sitting and resting. I have been trying all week to get 6-8 hours rather than 5-6 normal for me. So, I go to bed early at 11 and wake up at 5. So tired I went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at 3:30 a.m. Good to hear it was okay for you to be up and walking 5 times during night. Gives me hope they won't tie me down or drug me! Thanks! Keep on!
 
@glmrphy I forgot to answer your question, I do not have home health nurse, but I do go to PT today for the first time.
 
Well, @Plumberbutt , you know I have "followed" you closely, being that we are so close on surgeries, and I find it so interesting all the different scenarios out there! Maybe insurance plays a key, too, I don't know. I have read many different timelines with seemingly very drastic differences, but all in all, I guess it all comes down to dr and facility, etc. Here's my timeline: Home on 2nd day, 4 sessions of PT while in hospital, Home Health Nurse 3x a week and Home PT 3X a week, Drain tube until 2nd day in hospital, TED hose until follow-up, Lovenox injections (blood thinner) for 3 weeks, walker until first OS visit, staples to be removed then, also.

Just kinda interesting. But also realizing the different circumstances for each of us. I like my nurse, but on PT, they send a different one each time, which is getting old. Prob will be dropping them from my "program" so to speak as soon as I see the doc this Tues and he sees how well I'm doing. I'm ready to "go" to PT, lol... not used to being stuck at home. Getting antsy, and I know that means I'm on the mend. You are doing great, keep up the good work!
 
@glmrphy You sound like you are doing well too!! There are so many different ways the docs take care of us. The nurses Wednesday night were like whenever you want to get up and walk, let us know...they were happy to get me up and going, I think it helped them make their night go faster. I have to wear TEDs during the day and off at night for two weeks. The PT had me just using my cane the first time I did PT in the surgery center...she said I was doing such a great job that it is ok to use cane if I felt comfortable using it. Have you got the "itchies" from the narcs? I had to use benadryl to ease up on the itching. I go today for my PT with the one I chose to go to. It is kind of up to her how much more I go I think anyway. I agree with Josephine on here where she says it does a pretty good job healing on its own....just walking is good. Guess we'll see today. I, like you, am getting ansy and feel I need to get moving, just don't want to try too much too soon.
Keep up the good work Gail!!!
 
I went to WalMart today for the final time before surgery April 10.
This must have been the weirdest cart all day....
I picked up 4 boxes of DulcoEase, 1 bottle of Citrucel fiber pills, and a jug of MOM.
Got a large bottle of Prune Juice. (really.....)
Two 12 packs of Tomato Juice, 1 6 pack of Cranberry Juice, and lots of bottled water.
Two 6 packs of Underwear (don't tell anyone I buy them there!!!!!)
6 white washcloths (I have to use the hibiclens scrub for 5 days prior each with a newly washed washcloth).
4 white pillowcases that I can bleach with impunity.
And a set of pajamas with leopard spots and a cute cat's face on them. (haha!)
Oh, I have to wear thigh high TEDS daytime only for 4 weeks while taking 2 aspirin daily for 4 weeks, too.
I saw they sell TEDS in WalMart for $24. So, I did not put any of them in my cart.:heehee:
 
@psychteach You will do great.....just stop worrying so much.....it will drive you nutty!! It really is a piece of cake. You will be just fine!!

@MajorHeidi You are hilarious!! You probably fit right in at WalMart. I had first PT since being released today and I go back on Wednesday. She said I was doing great and to just keep up the good work. She also said there is no way that I need to go 3 times a week. Just like Josephine says on here, the hip will heal up pretty well on its own. Oh and by the way, I am just using the cane now....yippeeeee!!! Keep positive thoughts all and the whole procedure will be over before you know it!!
 
@Plumberbutt That's great you are on the cane. Yay!
We really learn a lot of stuff on here, don't we? And, that's a good thing.
It's been raining all day here, they just cancelled the Nascar race for today. bummer
 
@Plumberbutt ...Sounds like things are progressing really well for you, keep it up. Trust me on those days you feel like superman, be careful because the next day will kick you in the butt! I am 22 days out and have been without the walker for over a week, also dealing with an upper resp. that in itself has kicked my tail. I went out this morning, drove to get the haircut, (dropped my drawers at the beauty shop and showed off my scars) all were amazed! Went to the pharmacy, pharmacist very impressed, then paid a bill, hit Subway, came home and after that hour outing I was totally exhausted, shaking and I ate a 12 inch BLT with out any assistance! I have lost 10 pounds since my surgery as I have had no appetite or taste buds on vacation. Took a 3 hour nap, now just aching a bit. Each day is like a new adventure and I think it is different for everyone of us.......Take care my friend and try not to over do it.
 
@GaRosehippy I would like to live closer to that hair salon.....never found one where they drop their drawers!!!:yes!::happydance:Your surgery sure doesn't sound like it slowed you down much!!! I am like you in that nothing tastes good to eat....just not hungry.
You are doing great it sounds...keep up the good work!!!
 
Day 4 post op and I can't believe how well things have been going. I thought I'd cut back a bit today on some of the pain meds and see how well that works. Like so many others have tested this theory before, the results are the same.....too early. My pain has been under control which has let me use just my cane to get around. I also don't try to over do anything.....I know though that my "overdoing" and someone elses "overdoing" is not the same, but it is all good. I went to PT yesterday and got some exercises to do and have been doing them, but I am noticing my calf on my bad leg is pretty tight....others have this? I have been icing as much as I can and that really does help. Getting in and out of bed, or vehicle is not a problem at all and is a piece of cake. One problem I have had is the back sleeping.....it is NOT for me and been tough. Today though, I put a pillow between my knees and was able to sleep on my side today....dang was that nice!! There are times I think I should not have any pain..then I think it has only been 4 days you dork...what do you expect when someone takes out a chunk of bone and replace it with a metal piece!! There are times I just need to be brought down to reality. Well...until I report tomorrow night....have a great night "hippies"!!
 
@MajorHeidi I slept on the NON surgery side, but it was nice that it finally felt comfortable enough that with the use of a pillow between my knees I could sleep. I am finding myself to have a hard time just "taking it easy". I am one who is normally ALWAYS on the go and this has really shut me down....not because of the pain, but just because it is part of the healing process to rest and take it easy. I have a small farm with about 20 cows that are calving and I have been and feel comfortable with, loading my dogs up with me and drive to my calving shed. I live in the middle of the boondocks and hardly have ANY traffic, but just to feel good enough to go and do that tells me I must be doing pretty well. Oh well, enough of me rambling on, you are getting mighty close now too @MajorHeidi ....you excited yet?? You will feel so much better and just having the surgery done is such a relief...no more waiting!!
 
@Plumberbutt I am still afraid; thinking of dislocation and infection. I don't know why I focus on that.
Did you, and do you, just ignore that somehow? Glad you are coming along nicely. :tada:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom