Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@JennyLynne, I must check out the Mahabi slippers and the Birks. I had no idea Birks were trendy once again, lol.
 
Pheebs52,
Just noticed your surgery date is not in your signature. You can add it, or if you like a moderator can add it for you.
Hover over your username top right, click on signature, add your information there, Thanks!
How to create a signature
 
@pumpkin, thanks! Now I can see it, but can you? If not, perhaps a Moderator would step in? I'm a bit of a Luddite.
 
@Pheebs52 , I could see your TKR all right, but I have amended your signature, so that it shows your surgeries in reverse chronological order - latest surgery at the top of the list.
 
Pheebs52 - Somgood to see you are doing well. The walk in the park sounds wonderful. Congrats on the "loosening."
 
Congrats on the walk! That's exciting stuff!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @katdog! It was such a shocker to have this mysterious loosening occur overnight; hah!
 
@IowaNana, as we say in Boston, *wicked exciting!* This was the most excitement I've had since the day of surgery and I was primed and ready for some! Unlike many here, I cannot just walk out the door take a stroll up and down my street. The street and neighborhood is all steep hills that are unmanageable on crutches. So, because I am not able to drive as yet, I have to rely on Mistah to drive me to a flat setting. He'd already been food shopping this morning, so I was a bit loathe to ask him, but I got over it, as did he. The summer version of Cabin Fever had set in like a stone and I truly needed to give my knee a *real* walk. The shuffles around the house and back deck would not have sufficed today. The park is one of many in this area designed by Frederick Law-Olmsted and it's a beauty I never get tired of visiting. :SUNsmile:
 
The park sounds lovely. I can relate to the cabin fever. I think one of the reasons I feel so much better today is because I've gotten outside and enjoyed the fresh air. Or... as my grandma always said - I went outside and got the stink blown off me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am going to sleep well tonight! Yawning already from my big, outdoor adventure, lol.
 
Pleasant dreams! And a bending knee in the morning!
 
Progress Report: Yesterday was my 4 week Kneeversary and it began with an early morning PT session. A few new things were added to my very small PT routine. The first was an earnest chat about learning to *trust* my new knee more. PT asked me to perform a few toe raises as a way to foster trust. I stood there with one crutch in front of me and the deer in the headlights expression....really? Stand on my toes? Well...yes! It was absolutely thrilling to find I could do it easily and it was pain-free! He feels a few of those a day will help activate some dormant muscles from hip to toes. Ok, since it didn't hurt during or afterwards, I've added it.

I continue to have difficulty with quad extensions. It's not what I would call pain per se, but the quad has a deep soreness to it and generally can only manage about 5 of those until the whole leg starts to shake; pffft! Solution? A soccer ball placed under my knee. With the soccer ball in place, the very difficult became very do-able! I was shocked! I managed 15 with no pain, leg shaking or any nasty after-effects. Wish he'd had me doing it this way from the beginning though.....:scratch:

Next, my big surprise was HEAT! Yep, heat for my stubborn, half-asleep quad. While heating up the quad, we iced my knee, so it was a seesaw of opposing, pleasant sensations. The quad really liked the heat; oh yeah. But, just 10 minutes of heat was allowed and then on to some massage. It also came with a stern warning to never , ever heat the knee; quad only.

Next....I was asked to walk the length of the room (about 60 feet) without any walking aids. He wanted to check my gait, such as it is. Clearly, I didn't stride like Gisele. I'm not runway ready yet with my Frankenstein style stroll, but I knew that. It seems he'd like me to start using just the cane versus two crutches, unless I am very tired or have a particularly painful day. Hmmm. We'll see. I guess I am not weighting my feet equally and that goes back to the trust issue. He's all about equal weighting, which does make sense unless it's ouchy.

I was given a limit on my outdoor walking of 15 minutes. I like to have limits and that seemed reasonable to me since it's what I managed on Sunday with no adverse effects. I'd like to do more, but right now, I know I'd pay for it given the half-awake status of my quad.

Last night, my Kneeversary present arrived, thanks to @keefsmom. The Brizo Sammie sandals by Clarks and from Amazon are exactly what my fussy, beat-up feet need; whoohoo! Comfy is an understatement and happy feet are the best gift to a recovering knee. :yes!:

In summary it was a really good day, but for the sake of truth in print, I need to mention some of the very odd, leg sensations experienced last night. None of them were what I would classify as painful....just peculiar and a bit annoying. Some pins and needle-ish stuff along the IT band, some low-level zingers around the kneecap and in the shin, a very muted throbbing in the quad and what I can only call a restless leg. It was difficult to fall asleep, but thankfully, most of it is gone this morning. :spin:
 
Well done Pheebs, that'll lift your spirits! I remember I literally turned a corner and didn't look back at about week 13. One day I needed the cane and very next day I didn't and haven't since then. It was amazing how quickly everything changed and you will be the same :tada:
 
My one month is today so I'm expecting my new sandals any minute (although since I ordered mine before you, how come you got yours first!??) oh, right cuz it was your kneeversary!
 
Yes, Amazon new it was my special day, lol! happy Kneeversary to you @keefsmom! Pssst: What are we buying or wearing today? You know I like to remain in synch.:snork:

Thanks @Lilli215! I'm going to bet you are right and one fine day, I'll just get out of bed cane-free! It's definitely a bit down the road for me though, but that's ok, I can wait.

How are you doing in the dance department? You are my role-model to get back to my favorite activity, lol. I know, it's a lot of pressure, but I think you can handle it.:happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom