Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

My good foot has been killing me!! So funny I came across this as I was grounding my good heel into the ground trying to "massage" it! I've basically been barefoot and just slipping on an old pair of slippers if I go out. I tried shoes twice... first time my ankle swelled up the size of an ankle...the second...well....the shoe got thrown across the room while some not so lady like words were flying out of my mouth!!!
 
Thanks @knit2tog! My OS does have a very different perspective due to his own bionic knee and I have certainly benefitted from that unusual situation. You are so right in stating that some things simply cannot be imagined; this is one of them!

@VW54, I haven't tried Crocs, so thanks for that suggestion. Easy on/off is definitely a plus!
 
@BrokenMaMa, my *good* foot has also taken a beating; arrggh! My OP foot was quite swollen the first week, so it was old slippers for me. The problem with that is lack of support, though I wasn't walking very much at the time. Now that I'm walking a lot more, well....it's a challenge to find the right shoes. Glad to know it was you I heard spluttering a stream of unladylike invectives, lol!
 
@Pheebs52 my mom was sitting in the same room as me! She looked at me....shook her head and got up and walked away. I think she probably knew it probably wasn't a good time to mention my hissy fit.
 
Ssssh....don't tell anyone, but, something miraculous seems to have occurred in the wee hours of the night for me. This morning, my leg is more BENDY!!! I'm stunned! I mean, it's not exactly ready to conquer Mt. Everest or even the local mall, but I can walk with a much more natural stride and I can feel my quad MOVING and FLEXING! The concrete band is softening up; Yeehaw!!! :happydance:

Now this is probably just coincidence, but I do find it interesting. Yesterday, for the first time at home, I did some additional extension exercise. I wonder if working on that is somehow directly related to freeing up the quad?

Someone with a big stick needs to rein me in because I want to take a walk through a local park and that's probably just going to lead to swelling....right? Hubby is dead set against it, but I can't always go by him; he's a major worry-wart.
 
Walking might be just the thing, but do be careful not to overdo it. Enthusiasm and euphoria make all things look doable. Maybe take a short walk into the park, then sensibly turn around and come back. Enjoy the park. Enjoy being out. Just make it a shorter trip. If all goes well, You can always take another longer walker, a modest bit longer, the next day.

Congrats on the big bendy! That's what I call the best kind of surprise! All your TLC is paying off.
 
Congrats on the bend!!! Walking is so good for you! Don't overdo it but definitely give it a go. It will loosen you up.

I'm late to the shoe party... but I have a couple suggestions. I recently got a pair of Mahabi slippers. They come with a snap on outdoor sole. Pricey but I love them!

And for summer, I live in Birkenstock sandals. I prefer the gizeh style (thong) but they are all so comfy. So many fun colors and textures now that they are so trendy again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on being bendy!!! Enjoy the park, but take it slow and keep it short! It's a lovely day here, and once we get home from lunch with our son and DIL, I plan on a walk outside myself!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What great news! Must feel fantastic!!
Take er easy though!!

I forgot I had a pair of slippers on memory foam sneakers.... I just slipped those babies on and hopefully my foot will get to feeling better! Side note: Still not an easy task to just slip on!
 
Congratulations on the increased bendiness ! < did I just invent this word? It ought to exist.
...Aaâànd am envious. (Wail)
Ok, ok I'll get my turn in due time.
As to shoes, perhaps I've mentioned it before on another thread, the clinic Ergotherapist suggested getting elastic shoelaces for those lace up shoes you're likely use for longer walks. She meant it for men but many of us women wear lace up sneakers/ trainers and that might be an idea too.
 
Thanks everyone! Heading out now for a walking compromise. We'll go to a much smaller (and less pretty, harumph) park and just walk for 10-15 minutes total.
 
Success! It felt soooo good to be walking outdoors on a new knee with zero OA pain and a quad that is beginning to bend! I am euphoric!:yahoo:

I walked a total of 16 minutes and it seemed the perfect amount. My leg began to fatigue at about 14 minutes, but still, no pain and no stiffness beyond the pre-walk state. If anything it all felt looser.
 
So, now it's elevated and I am one with the ice, basically as a preventative measure. No pain meds needed since 6 A.M.; whoohoo!

As a point of interest for those who have has stiffness and swelling issues with poor ROM, I must say I couldn't have done this walk yesterday. Whatever magically loosened up overnight made all the difference. If my cement like knee and quad loosened up, so will yours! Yes, it took an entire four weeks, and no, I probably don't have 90 degrees of flexion, but....I don't care. It felt quite functional today and that works for me. Though I can walk with a single cane, it's not my best form, so I used two crutches today. I'm getting very agile with those, hahahaha!
 
Perfect to ice and elevate after the walk even though it felt good to do it. :idea:
 
Does ice and elevation work as a preventative? Whatever the answer, it certainly can't hurt, eh?
 
@VW54, if I use *bendy* you can certainly use *bendiness*, LOL. Don't be jealous, you're 9 days behind me on the OR table (not that it necessarily means anything) and your day is coming, soon! Very soon.:SUNsmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom