TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Oh, one more thing @IowaNana, apparently, *wobbly-walking* for too long can lead to IT Band Tendonitis, foot problems, hip pain and back aches. Don't need those, eh? Nope. I'd much rather walk with a cane for 6 months than develop any of those problems. Of course, I have two very fancy, sparkle canes, lol.
 
I can relate to the back and hip pain. Before surgery, I put off using a cane everyday too long and I ended up with hip and back pain because of how I was walking due to the Knee pain. I definitely don't want to go back to that again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OK, Virginia isn't that far from Boston. That settles it, I'm coming up there and getting your OS!
 
Great report Pheebs!!

I so strongly agree about using walking aids. Knee pain is bad enough without aggravating your back and hips! (I speak from experience)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I always say that ROM can improve for a year or more. I do know of someone who discovered her ROM had increased 3 years after her TKR.
 
Good morning Smarties! I'm curious to know what everyone is wearing on their feet? Mine are killing me despite new shoes, sandals and sneakers; pffft! I know it must be due to my (ahem) *graceful* gait but perhaps there's a really comfy, popular shoe/sandal out there that I've somehow missed? All input welcome!

My thigh, above the incision is super stiff today. I'm wondering whether or not I can safely apply heat to that area instead of ice? It's nowhere near the incision, basically upper quad and toward the lateral side of thigh. Ice seems to make it stiffer. It's probably due to too much cycling at PT yesterday, 10 minutes instead of 5. Won't repeat that again anytime soon.
 
i've been going barefoot in the house and for quick trips out the front door and my very well supportive slippers for walking around the street (they are almost like shoes, great for airplane). i wear my slip-on sketchers for going anywhere in public (only 2 places i've been are the surgeon and the physio); they aren't the most supportive or comfortable but easy to get on and off. i don't even bother with socks after putting them on once, triggering pain. i look forward to getting to the mall to buy some new birkenstocks, possibly with a strap, my other ones are thong style, which i love, but i think i best be more cautious now; "keens" are another brand i wear in the summer. good luck finding shoes just right for you.

i've put heat on that area above the incision; not sure if it helped or not, but it warmed me up, having the ice pack on my knee. up until recently i was taking my magic bag (heated in microwave) to bed with me to keep warm since the ice pack made me so cold.
 
@Liam, thanks for the suggestions! What brand slippers are you wearing? I have Uggs that I like but they are a mule style and walking in anything backless right now is awkward at best; pffft. GMTA on the Sketchers slip-ons! Yes, they are easy to get on and off, but not very supportive or comfy after about an hour in my opinion. My Keen sandals are probably my favorites right now, but even they fail after about a 1/2 day of sashaying around the house. I think I must really be slamming my feet while I walk, because they both feel as though they've been hammered at the end of each day. I haven't tried Birkenstocks but used to like their clogs, so there's a promising thought. :wink:

I am smiling at your heat and ice scenario because it's exactly what I want to do, hah!
 
my slippers are called "Merrell Air Cushion". i've had them for several years, felt guilty when i bought them as they were over $100. but so supportive. at the time i had plantar fasciitis and desperate for superior footwear. eventually i put my orthotics (which i got as a result of the plantar fasciitis) in them. i wear them out the backyard with the dog, as i don't feel comfortable walking him yet. you should try birkenstocks ~ they take a little getting used to and not for everyone, but i love them; not good to drive in though, at least not the thong-style. when you're up to it, go to a good shoe store and try some different kinds out. we have a "Soft Moc" store here that sells many brands.
 
Thanks for the info @Liam! It sounds like your slippers were a really good investment since they are still comfy several years later. :SUNsmile: I've had very good luck with Merrell's over the years, but they probably don't make your slippers anymore. That said, I'll check!

I can't imagine walking my dogs right now....yikes! That makes me really grateful for a fenced in yard as are they. But, I miss walking them in the local woods and a very pretty local cemetery.

Many, many, years ago, I loved my Birkenstock clogs, but...it's been a long time! We have one store around here that carries them, but I'm not ready for that trip yet. Sad to say, though I love the look, thong style sandals and I don't get along very well, so I'll pass on those.
 
Amazon product ASIN B01I5PP5QK
i just ordered this second pair of clarks sandals--clarks have pretty much been my go to for shoes for the past so years. They aren't as shoe-like as the Keene, more lightweight, which I like, plus adjustable in 3 spots. Not terribly good looking unfortunately!
 
Thanks @keefsmom! I don't care what they look like right now, just want to have non-ouchy feet! They must be pretty good if you've ordered a second pair! I'm clicking on the link....
 
Hehehe, they'll arrive Monday, bless Amazon's quick delivery!
 
Oh man, when you feet hurt, you hurt all over. I hope the new shoes work for you.
 
I wear Clarks for my work shoes when I'm flying. Super comfy! I can wear them for 18+ hours and my feet don't hurt.
 
Your visit to the OS was fantastic! I wish we could all be seen by someone who had been there done that. Some things cannot imagined no matter hard you try. Your positive attitude helps you and all of us here. :yes!:
 
I'm wearing Croc sandals. Or Croc clogs with the back part up. I need something easy to slip in and out of. Since I'm still spending a lot of time prone but getting up every hour.
 
Back
Top Bottom