TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Lilli, I hope your birthday isn't today? I woke with a swollen ankle; pfft! It's most likely my payback for spending 30 minutes on my feet yesterday while cleaning my kitchen. Oh well, I'd rather have the swelling there than in my knee.
 
But didn't it feel good to be up and doing something?
I have found that since I've increased my activity and time on my feet over the past few days, my ankle is swelling too. As long as it isn't too much , I'm ok with it. It's just our bodies getting used to activity. I know when I went back to work after my last surgery, i experienced a couple weeks of pretty bad swelling, and then it all evened out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Pheebs52, I am laid up on the bed using the CPM and not sure if I am depressed or happy that I have it set to 50 degrees.

I wanted to enter the shoe conversation as well! I ordered a couple pairs of Vionic sandals after first and before second knee. I had read early on here about the wear patterns on our old shoes. Then I ordered 2 more pairs of Abeo sandals. What is great about sandals, whether they be sandles or a flip flop style I can wear them with my fashion statement white ted hose. The kind my hospital uses has a large hole at the end by your toes. I can pull my first two toes out and wear a flip flop. Now before anyone gets shook up about flip flops they have amazing support in them. As good or better than most shoes. I do pay a lot for my shoes and sandals, but my feet are worth it! I am really styling as I go out to PT in shorts with my white ted hose hanging out below. Never in a lifetime would I be caught going out like I do now....

I enjoyed getting caught up on your thread as I was connected to the torture machine....:scare:
 
@Pheebs52 - what great progress you're making! Isn't it amazing the first time behind the wheel? I found it both exciting and scary at the same time. Kind of like having a driver's permit for the first time.

Keep up your great work and shoe shopping! With a little dancing thrown in for fun!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, it really did feel good to do something productive, even something normally considered drudgery, lol, so the swollen ankle this morning was a small price to pay. At least my knee didn't hurt; phew! The ankle went down quickly with some elevation and foot pumping.

@becticu, you just gave me the best laugh of the day! If that's your sense of humor while in a CPM, wearing Teds and with all the misery you've been through, you hafta be a hoot in *normal* mode, lol. I'm so thankful I only had to wear the dreaded Teds for one week and I was definitely indoors all that week, hahaha! :loll:You must take some *ahem* fashion photos for posterity that will be sure to elicit howls of laughter years from now.

@IowaNana, yep, I'm really getting in the Recovery Groove now.....I think. Hahaha! Yes, it felt great to get behind the wheel and cruise my driveway. Naturally, it made Mistah apoplectic, which sometimes can be fun all on it's own.:snork: He had visions of me falling in the driveway, getting stuck in the car and every other sort of predicament a worry wart can conjure up. I knew I'd be just fine.:SUNsmile:
 
Good morning Smarties! As many of you know, I continue to have a problem with flexion, so my PT has developed a new protocol this week that actually seems to be helping. I don't know what my ROM is right now, because he doesn't measure it every week, and honestly, I appreciate that. He's much more concerned with function than numbers; phew! Regardless of having no numbers to report, I can say that what we are doing has made my knee feel better! It's definitely looser and walking has become much more natural. The following is a list of the new tricks that may be of benefit to others who also find themselves in the non-bendy club. No guarantees, of course, but I think it's worth a try.

1) Heat quad and hamstring for 10 minutes BEFORE doing leg extensions or heel slides. What a difference!
2) Place a soccer ball or similar beneath the knee for leg extensions. (I had a very sore quad....now I do not!)
3) Hold heel slide position for 20 seconds instead of 5. Do fewer (10, instead of 20) but hold longer.
4) Massage. This can be done at home using fingers, a rolling pin, a hard rubber ball or an actual massage tool on a gentle setting.
5) Extension: He says this affects flexion. I believe him. Lie on stomach with a rolled towel placed beneath the quad. Hang heels over the bed and let gravity take the leg down for approximately a minute. Pick OP leg up with good leg and bend gently upwards toward the derriere until you feel a good stretch. Hold for roughly 20 seconds. Try 3-5 of these.
6) Toe raises: Sounds weird, right? Stand in front of kitchen counter, hold on and slowly stand onto toes. Hold for 30 seconds. Tighten glutes and quad while doing.
7) Walk the line: Picture a perp walk from a movie when someone has been pulled over for a DUI. If you have a floor or carpeting with a line in it, try to keep your feet on the line as much as possible. Proceed heel to toe, with the longest stride possible while attempting to maintain a straight line. This exercise places more weight on your OP leg than regular walking. It gets the OP leg and knee used to being used properly and supposedly opens new, neurological pathways. It's also rather fun.:happydance: I find it helps to stretch my formerly tight calf as well, which leads to better gait in general.
Obviously, none of this hurts, during or afterwards. If it did, I wouldn't be doing it. Looser is better!:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for sharing the exercises! I am glad that you are seeing improvement... yeah! Being looser and walking more normal is our goal!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
thanks for the tips, Pheebs52. re #5, how much of your leg should hang over the bed?
 
Hey Pheebs, is the massage on your quads or elsewhere? My non-bendy is due to the tight band feeling across my knee cap so I've been doing self massage on the knee cap cuz I guess that's what makes sense to me...tight kneecap...try to massage it out. But now I wonder if I should try doing more work on the lame quad as well. LOL
 
@BrokenMaMa, yes, it's the quads and hamstrings, sometimes my calves if they are tight. I leave the kneecap to the pro though, lol.
 
@Pheebs52, I always enjoy reading your posts and you make me laugh! Laughter is good for the soul! I took a screen shot of your exercises and that will be my weekend plan!

I do a lot of massage as well. I also am getting a massage every week. That is in addition to my PT. They have an hour to concentrate on those muscles and it actually helped my swelling go down. Every girl needs a massage once a week!
 
@becticu, I can't argue with every girl needing a weekly massage! I'm so glad to hear your swelling is finally receding; whoohoo! As I said once before, I'd put a dead chicken under my pillow at night if I thought it would help, hehehe.:heehee:
 
I decided to try the Vionic flip flop sandles and just ordered a pair from Zappos. At least I can return them if they don't work out. I'm really tired of wearing my tennis shoes all the time but that's all that seem comfortable since I need arch support. Hope these work!
 
I would love a massage every week but my massage therapist only works a couple days a week and she's so hard to get an appointment with. I had one two weeks in a row and now I have to wait until July to get another two weeks. I just like sticking with her since she really knows what areas to work on. She definitely does a therapeutic massage rather than just a "feel good" massage.
 
@flyaway79 I've been wearing Fitflop sandals since the weather got better, not toe post ones as I have bother with retracting toes but ones that have two straps with buckles across the foot similar to Birkinstock style, they are very comfortable with great arch support:smile2:
 
Years ago my OS told me about stable rocker bottom shoes and that they would be better for my knees. I've worn them for years. Who knows if they helped my knees or not, but they do make you walk heel to toe like we are told to.
 
Note to self: Check out Vionic and FitFlop sandals!

@flyaway79, it's so important to have the right massage therapist. I also don't go for the *fluffy* stuff and really need the deep tissue work. I just don't know if I'd find the massage table comfortable yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

@sistersinhim, I have 3 pairs of Clarks Wave with a slight rocker bottom sole and they definitely do make me walk heel to toe. I bought them because I have Mortons Neuroma which creates ball of foot pain and they alleviate that about 95%, but now they are also helping my knee; win/win!
@knit2tog , definitely try the warm-up before the exercises. It makes an incredible difference.:yes!:
 
Back
Top Bottom