TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Oh dear...new? Ahem, *knew.* I hate a cheap typo.
 
You will Pheebs and it will be when you least expect it!!! Not done anymore dancing however it's my 60th birthday on Thursday so who knows???!!!
 
All of a sudden one day you will go foot over foot up or down a step. Or forget your cane. Or stand up from a chair without pushing up with your hands. It'll just happen. You gotta love those "Hey, look what I can do!" moments.
 
I know you guyz are right!:yay: I just had about 30 minutes of standing while cleaning my kitchen and this is a first! I really haven't been able to stand long enough to do anything productive in there, but...today I could; whoohoo! My extension has changed from -5, but for some reason everything is less painful behind the knee....I'll take it!

Oh Lilli, there must be dancing for your 60th Birthday! If you don't do it, I'll have to and...well... it won't be pretty, lol!:dancy:
 
Arrrghhh...*correction* my extension HASN'T changed from -5!
 
We know the extension will get there. Maybe if you dance.......
 
Just make sure you don't 'break' anything else but your dancing!
 
I was bored this afternoon so decided to get in my car and drive it up and down my driveway; success! And no, I'm not taking it out on the road yet due to Rx drugs, but it's great just to know I can do it! :yes!:
 
I just had about 30 minutes of standing while cleaning my kitchen and this is a first! I really haven't been able to stand long enough to do anything productive in there, but...today I could; whoohoo!
That is indeed progress, but you're probably trying to do too much for this early stage of recovery.
It's still only a month since you had this major surgery, so do check your activity against this article again, won't you?
Activity progression for TKRs

Remember that ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a knee replacement, so don't worry about it yet.
 
Darn, I missed the shoe party... love, love, love Amazon Prime though
I bought Vionic slippers, and I bought SAS and ECCO sandals (for wedding and leisure). All are like the Clarks, with 3 adjustable straps. I need that for my high maintenance feet and knees. Tried on my mothers Clarks yesterday and they felt good too (just a size too small).
The other thing that new shoes help with: your old knee/leg had a wear pattern in your old shoes, so your new sandals will work much better!!

Sounds like you are doing spectacular there Ms Pheebs! Glad Celle is giving you the gentle, "reel me in" from overdoing it :)
 
@Celle, I promise you I'm not overdoing it. Truly, I'm not. For the rest of the day after the kitchen clean-up, (which was just counters, a few dishes and some pots and pans; no floors or appliances) I was a slug. I stayed on the sofa, elevating and icing and reading. I was only in the car for about 10 fun, little minutes. There hasn't been any negative ramification yet, so I'm hoping there won't be. Regardless, I will read the rules again. And probably again, many times over as I progress. It's good to have reminders.:SUNsmile:

@jaschembra, it's never too late to attend a shoe party! I'm not familiar with the Vionic brand and have never tried SAS, so must google.:-) I agree 100% on the old gait wear pattern in the shoes; yikes! My gait became very strange and now, it's strange again; hah!

I wouldn't go so far as to say I am doing *spectacular*, but it's nice to hear even if it isn't quite so. I think I am having a very average recovery, or perhaps I should say my OS thinks so. He does. What I find most interesting at this stage is that despite poor flexion numbers, I feel quite functional. No problems with getting in and out of the car or shower, capable of small house projects, able to throw in a load of wash if so inclined, and take a 15 minute, outdoor walk with no ill effect. But....I am not *bendy.* Whatever, eh? I believe it will come in time and I am just a tortoise.
 
Pheebs, you might not be bendy, but you are very functional. That's what counts!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pheebs52 how about we have a virtual dancing session on my birthday, that way we can all join in no matter where we are on our journey:yes!: I'll be the DJ, so everybody the track playing is New York by Frank Sinatra, form a chain and get those high kicks going:dancy::dancy::dancy:
 
High kicks... are little way out yet for me. But I can do low kicks! It's even more impressive when holding a cane in your hands. I did this in front of the Big Italian Family and had three men dash over because my moves terrified them. They feared I would fall. I was just joshing and it was only three kicks before I stopped. Not good ones, either. But I think Mr. Shoes and I could manage a slow waltz at this point.
 
@Lilli215, love the idea of a group dance for your Birthday! If we can't manage the high kicks yet, we'll just raise our canes, hahaha!

@SusieShoes, thanks to you, I'll be wearing my just ordered, Van's Hawaii model to Lilli's party!

@knit2tog, be sure to let us know which shoes you purchased!:yes!:
 
I'm dancing with you in my wheelchair! Such fun! One day we'll all be doing it for real!
 
Back
Top Bottom