Guest viewing is limited

THR Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Madowa...know what you mean...even at 4 months I'm still not quite there...some days better than others....but I'm so much more ' normal' than I was before the op....trouble is I think we expect the op to be a'magic wand'....which girls some it seems to be..but not for all. For most of us it's a slow, steady progression....at least I hope so!! Chrissie xxxx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Week 5 update! My recovery has continued to progress. My energy levels are good. Still take a little nap in the afternoon ..don't know if I really need it or just like it! I can now go downstairs foot over foot. Going up is still one at a time. I can move around the house without the cane but still prefer to use it so I don't limp. Pain is almost gone. I get little weird aches from time to time but nothing continuous. Feeling a little blue and apprehensive about going back to work. I see my OS for the first follow up on the 20th. He will then determine my back to work date. I'm going to push for the first week in March. We shall see! I go to phys therapy 2x week. Very gentle exercises. Other than that, I have nothing earth shattering to report. I am extremely fortunate to be having a somewhat boring recovery! Peggy xo
 
@Madowa. Peggy, this is when boring is good.... Splendid news for you....hope this continues for you .. Take care... Don't be in too much of a rush to return to work.... Once you are back.... You're back!! I've been there... Done that and regretted it !!!!! Take care...Chrissie xxxx
 
Hi Peggy @Madowa how lovely to see you!!!

It sounds like you are doing so well....for some reason I as on crutches still at6 weeks

Keep up the great work and thanks for your support
 
Thanks everyone. I feel truly blessed to be boring so far in my recovery. Now if only I could fast forward and build strength quickly on my operative side. It's been weak for many years due to my favoring it. I've been told that this will take time.
We are expecting yet another snow storm here in jersey. I'm already feeling a little achey and stiff. My area could see 6 to 12 inches starting early Thursday morning. I'm thinking pot roast in the crockpot?!?! I'll have to remember to take the meat out of the freezer this morning. Sending hugs to you all. Peggy :) xo
 
Hi Peggy @Madowa....glad your progress is still boring!! Loving that very glamorous avatar...stunning!! Hope you enjoy the pot roast and your weather in NJ is not too bad.....keep up the good work.....love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well friends, today is my 6 week appointment with my OS and I'm so worried that he will want me to go back to work. Although I've had a textbook recovery, I just don't feel ready to go back to the rat race, even if it's part time, yet. I really think I need 2 more weeks of gentle pt and rest. So, I'm going to be honest with him and hope that he agrees. I have full disability for up to six months so money is no issue for me. I'm just wondering if 8 weeks recovery is reasonable. I had posterior approach RTHR on jan 7. I'm still sore and must use a cane to prevent limping. I also don't feel ready psychologically. Am I being a baby? I'm sitting here just thinking about it and I'm bawling. So not like me! I have been so upbeat throughout this whole process and now I feel like a wimp. By the way, I have a very stressful project management job at a large corporation. So it's not too physically demanding, but the stress is high. Any thoughts or advice would get greatly appreciated.
 
Hi @Madowa I have just caught up with your thread and I am so glad that you have had a text book recovery.On the subject of returning to work.It sounds like you are not quite ready and by no way are you a wimp.As you have a stressful job do yourself a big favour and have a few more weeks of sick leave and schedule your return when you feel well enough.In the UK most of us have three months off and then have a phased return.Of course this is just my opinion and I hope your OS agrees.Lots of luck with the rest of your recovery.
 
Hey Hip twin!
I think it is quite reasonable to need longer off work ( obviously I would say that as I feel the same as you, albeit a different job!) but - objectively speaking now- there are several issues hip strength being just one. I think confidence takes a hit (why I don't know) and a stressful role at work with responsibility is not one to be rushed back into. Stamina is another issue - even just getting ready and surviving the journey into work would be a challenge...let alone the actual work!

I think tell your surgeon tomorrow you don't feel ready. I'm sure he will agree. You are not a baby you've had major surgery remember!! And unless anyone at your work has had a similar surgery they just won't get it and might unintentionally put too much pressure on you. Is there any way you could talk to your work boss and do a little something from home- just to dip your toe in again?
Could you have a phased return- even building up over 2/3 weeks would make things easier...

I also wish I had written my questions in a list for my appt yesterday and taken them in with me to ask. But I didn't. I'd advise you to do that and take someone with you, if you can, so they can ask things if you forget.

Good luck - I'm sure your appt will go well.

Gill
 
@Madowa , have you read this article on Phased return to work. The recommend return to work time frame is 10-12 weeks and then a phase return. Still pretty early days so please do express your concerns at your appointment. Stamina is a huge issue for new hippies. You still need time - please don't push yourself.
 
@Kim22 @miaow27 @Jaycey
Thank you so much for easing my mind. My appointment went well. Turns out I was worried for nothing. He gave me another full month to recover before thinking about returning to work. I am to call his office nurse in a few weeks to discuss how I'm feeling and if I'm ready, then fine. If not, he will extend. Thank goodness. I felt so washed out today from being upset. Now I'm feeling relief! Thanks again for your support, my Bonesmartie angels. Peggy xo
P.S. Xray is perfect. Restrictions lifted. Continue gentle phys therapy. Take it nice and slow. ;)
 
Brilliant news.Eat well and take it easy over the next few weeks to build your strength up ready for work.Above all ensure you enjoy this time.You are doing great
 
Result! Well done Peggy @Madowa ! Lots of R&R prescribed. Please keep us updated!
 
@Madowa boring recovery is great, so's mine by the way :) I went back to work at 41/2 weeks but I do a job I love and there's no Stress. If I was still in my old engineering style work I'd have been off for at least 10 Weeks. I'm about a week behind you and it's interesting to see you saying the same things that I'm experiencing.
My advice for what it's worth would be to stay off work until you're ready to go back and don't rush back because you feel pressured or guilty, and given what you've described of your job, is there a chance at the beginning to start part time?

Best wishes Steve
 
Thanks Steve! Ideally I would like to go back part time in two weeks. Do part time for the next two weeks. So by March 24 I'll be back full time. I can certainly do this if I'm up to it. Thank goodness my surgeon has my back on this. So I'll see how I feel in another week or so and play it by ear.
[Bonesmart.org] Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014
. Here's my new friend. ;)
 
A Beauty, if it's ceramic, what colour is it, do you know? Apparently the uk ones are pink which means I'll always be in touch with my feminine side :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom