Guest viewing is limited

THR Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I am on the other side. Had RTHR yesterday a 3:00 pm. Woke up in recover with no pain. Gave me dilaudin. Was very comfortable last night. Didn't sleep all the way through but took a bunch of cat naps. Feel good this morning and already have had my breakfast. They gave me 5mg OxyContin and will have pt in about an hour. I'm fearful of standing for the first time and will let you know how that goes. Relieved its over. Let the recover begin!
 
Congratulation on your new hip :)
You have anew lease of life now it will get better everyday
Well done :)
 
@sharonslp First let me say congrats on getting through the surgery. I had a TRHR on new years eve so I am just a bout a week ahead of you. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Although not everyone is the same I might be able to help some. Don't overdue it or feel the need to push yourself past what is ask of you in therapy. (Trust me this is experience speaking along with don't fall either) Good luck in your recovery and my prayers are with you. You can do this!!
 
@medic4355 Brian, were you meaning to tag someone else? Your post #83 is not making sense to me. My hips are over one and two years old. My recovery is quite complete now, and I am doing quite well. I'm thinking you meant your post for someone else.

Sharon
 
@sharonslp Yep I mistagged. Thanks for letting me know and congrats anyway. I am glad to know you are doing good.
 
Question: I am so tired of sleeping on my back. Has anyone slept on their unoperated side? I'm 2 weeks post op, posterior approach. I'm so tempted to put a pillow between my legs and try.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014
@Madowa, As long as you know the operated leg won't cross the center line, sleeping on unoperated side with pillow between legs should be fine. I never slept on my back before hip and knee replacement surgery. But now, although I always start on my side, I almost always wake up on my back :heehee:!
 
my OS asked me to keep sleeping on my back only until six weeks (in 6 more days!!). I used to move around all night - but actually have started to get used to my back and don't mind as much. However, last night I woke up and caught myself moving onto my side - first time I've done that I think. It felt fine for awhile at least.... then I moved back.
 
I'm glad your ok and on the other side and moving toward Victory
 
@Madowa Hi Peggy, just catching up with your thread and I am delighted that you are doing so well for only two weeks out.Congratulations.Remember the BS mantra of slow and steady.

Kim
 
I know at first it's hard to sleep on your back but like charmed life I cannot sleep any other way now!!! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sleeping on our back is difficult, but soon you will be able to get on your favorite side.
 
I'm thinking that it's a bit too early to be cutting back on the pain meds. It's now day 16 (posterior approach) and I'm finding that I still need to take 10mg oxy every 5 to 6 hours. When I try to sneak in a 5mg, it comes back to haunt me later. I'm worrying too much about this. @charmedlife you have been great with your advice. I think you and I are very similar in our recovery progression. You mentioned that things ease up at 3 weeks so I'm going to think positive and believe that. Any other bonesmart angels who would like to share their experience with pain meds, please feel free. I'm obsessing about this and it's starting to get on my nerves!! Hope everyone is have a fabulous day...it's so cold here in central Jersey. At least I didn't have to shovel yesterday, teehee!! Love to all. Peggy xo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Madowa...Peggy you are only 2 weeks and 2 days post op....personally I think you should take the meds you need to relieve Your pain . You will know when to reduce ...cos you will forget to clock watch to take then...if you are in pain you won't be able to do what you need to....it's still early days Hun and you are doing so well!! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014
@Madowa, put your fears aside and take your pain meds on a schedule. Do not let the pain get ahead of you----always keep it at bay. Pain is not conducive to healing---you need the meds. I took pain meds for 2 months with my hip and 3 months with my knees. You will begin to increase the time between meds slowly and then even cut back on the amount taken. One just sort of naturally weans oneself off. You may find that you can take 2 500mg Tylenol in place of a pain med a couple to times during the day. Not taking them at bedtime was the last thing I gave up.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Today was a great day. Kept the pain down as I should and was able to go grocery shopping with hubby. We went to a tiny grocery store but I was able to walk the 8 aisles pushing the cart! And the nap that I took when I got home was absolutely heaven on earth. Hope the rest of the weekend is as good as today. Peggy xoxo
 
Well done Peggy.. Inch by inch :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom