Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

@Cementless , now you no longer have a loose implant, would you like to change your thread title? If so, just tell us what you'd like and we'll get it changed for you.
 
How about “Revision After a Loose Implant”? I think it would be useful to others to still see a reference to the loose implant.

Sometimes I think about changing my title, but I like Patellofemoral in it, for others with one, and to be honest, the ones I come up with are not positive and do not befit a forum advisor, like, “another Patellofemoral bites the dust!”:heehee:
 
@Celle and @Jockette, yes....let's change it to " My Revision after a Loose Implant". I probably should changed my log in name to Cemented? Not sure if that would complicate things??? :wink:
 
Your username is fine the way it is. People won’t “recognize”you if you change that.

We’ll get the title changed.
 
I've changed your thread title for you.
I agree with Jockette - keep Cementless as your username. It's part of your history and we know you under that name.
 
@Cementless just checking up on you...I see you had a great day yesterday. I think this will be your turning point, I really hope! How is your hip? Mine feels a lot better today. Hoping it is done with giving me problems!

Our whole world has been disrupted after this surgery. It’s definitely a marathon.. we are going to be irritable and grouchy some times. Unfortunately, unless someone has been through this, most don’t understand. We are recovering 1 day at a time for months! And we have setbacks that can’t be seen.

Hope you’re week is fabulous :flwrysmile:
 
@flsungirl, my hip is so much better. Thank you for asking and your encouraging words. Even though I went through this 2 years ago and know what to expect, I find myself being impatient.
 
I think we're at the losing patience part. You were a week before me.
My logical brain is assuring me all is well and It's very early yet. My not so logical brain is telling me this should be moving along faster.
And you've been theirs much more.
Keep hanging! I hope you've turned a corner with you best day yet!
 
My brain is just ready for some normalcy :snork: I suppose when I’m back at work that will happen. Two months is such a long time to be out of commission. But in retrospect, I’m looking forward to life without knee pain! Can’t wait till that day when I say getting a knee replacement is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. :catdance:
 
Question: Who is responsible for letting my original OS know that I had a revision and how I am doing? Me or my revision OS? Maybe, he doesn't even need to know.:tada:
 
I don’t know, but I don’t think it’s anyone’s responsibility. I guess if you want him to know it would be up to you to tell him.

I’ve had that conversation, in my head, with my original surgeon, but I don’t think I’d ever do it for real. I don’t like confrontation and to be honest, I have to think (hope) he meant well and something somewhere just didn’t work out.

And I think he knew that at my one year check up. He sat there studying my knee, which even had some swelling that day, and didn’t really offer any suggestions, other than trying to desensitize the incision. I told him it’s not the incision that is bothering me. He had nothing else to say, and he did read my list of concerns. He either didn’t have any ideas, or he chose not to say anything. IF he made a decision that didn’t work out, he opens up a huge can of worms if he admits it. I understand that.

Yes, I still think about it, but I need to let that part go.
 
I actually ran into the surgeon who did my original TKR in the hallway after one of my early post-op check-ups. He remembered me and acted like he knew I'd just had a revision-and he may have since my OS is the chief of the dep't. It's a long story as to why I changed doctors, then went back to my original OS after problems developed with the TKR. Anyway, if I hadn't run into him I'd never have told him about the revision, or talked to him again. Not because I feel he did anything wrong, etc, as I did like him, but just because I don't see any reason to let him know as he's no longer my doctor. He knew I was having issues, and knew I went back to my original OS, so it follows that I may have needed a revision at some point. I think letting your original OS know you had a revision is unnecessary, and likely won't do any good anyway.
 
I think when we need to have a revision it’s hard to not think of the injustice of it. I guess it depends on the reason for the revision.

But a revision means a repeat of a recovery that is usually difficult by default, and the repeat of all the expenses. And it seems very unfair that the original surgeon gets off scot free with no accountability, if it was a poor decision on his part that necessitated the revision.

But, we all know, life is not always fair.
 
@Jockette, I agree with what you said....I really need to let it go. I still get upset in my stupidity for letting this OS (who all the doctors go to, great reputation) do my LTKR. The red flags did not go off when he said, "I would be the second cementless TKR he has done". He has great success with cemented implants, done over 5000. He was very disappointed when my implant failed and his tone of voice was sad, again he said that "he had not had much experience with cementless knee implants!" He is such a nice, comforting OS but I feel looking back, he should have known his limitations and admitted them at the time. He should have referred me to another OS.
Time to move on.
 
Why did he choose to do a cementless one?
 
@Jockette, because the Chicago blood analysis for metals came back I was " mildly allergic to bone cement monomer". I also have osteopenia. He said, "if he got in there and my bones did not look good, he would have to use bone cement anyway." My bones looked good. I was concerned because I am very allergic to adhesives and that is why I had those tests done. For this revision, I had 2 patch testing for metals and bone cement. Bone cement did not show up but cobalt and nickel did. Maybe it was the cobalt that caused my knee to become loose? Since this revision implant does not have cobalt or nickel.....my hair is starting to grow back. I wonder if there was a connection? The allergist said I would not know until the cobalt implant was removed. I find that interesting.
 
We both trusted our surgeons and their choice of treatment for us.

Knowing what we know now, we’d both do things differently. You did, and eventually I will have to. I have 2 months until my deductible starts over again. I will reevaluate my situation in January, and I pray there won’t be an emergency before then.
 
I just sent an email to my OS/PA for pain medication. Even though I am just 5 weeks post revision, I still need something stronger than ES Tylenol (2) with my Norco 7.5 mg (half dosage 3.75 mg every 6 hrs). I take a whole one at bedtime.

Why do I feel guilty asking for more pain medication? Why, because after surgery, my OS tagged me as a "red flag pt.!!!" :sad:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom