Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

Kudos to you for self-advocating and taking care of your needs! Hey, red flag just means you're very special and should receive priority attention. :egypdance:
 
@Cementless I’m so happy that you are doing well after your revision. I have my yearly follow up with my original OS in February, though I’m not sure that I will be going to the appointment. I don’t think he really wants to explore any further treatment on my right knee and I don’t think I want him to do anything else either. I agree with others, I don’t think they need or want to know that you’ve gone to another OS for a revision.
 
@jboles, thank you. I can't believe how well I am doing! Yesterday was the first day I had extra swelling and stiffness in my knee....I forgot to elevate and ice!!! It has been cold here in Texas and it is colder when I ice!!! I still take Norco 3.75 mg (1/ 2 dose) every 6 hrs with ES Tylenol if I need it and 7.5 mg at bedtime with 2 ES Tylenol. I am still so surprised that the PA and my OS are refilling my Norco when I run out (40 @ a time every 2 weeks). After his comment after surgery calling me a "red flag pt", I thought he would cut me off. They said as long as I feel I need it they would refill it and when I was ready, I could transition to Tramadol. I see my revision OS this Friday, the 16th for my 6 weeks check up.
The Norco keeps me comfortable! After a shower, I have gotten my bend to 105.
 
I have been resting most of the afternoon since we got home. Lots to tell. Very successful day. We were there on time but didn't see my OS until an hour after my scheduled appointment. I was glad I took some pain medication before we left to go there! Learned A LOT about my OS (more on that later). It was casual Friday and he was dressed in a worn out long t-shirt, tight jeans, and running shoes. He must not be married, because I would not have let my husband out of the house looking like that...can we say too causal! :rofsign::loll:
Back to me. He was very pleased with my knee! He did want me to work more on my extension. My knee was swollen from not being elevated or:ice:. He even was pushing down on my knee to try and get it to straighten out more. He ask about my PT and I told him I was doing my own thing at home. He said that was fine.
He noticed I was using a cane and encouraged me to do so because that would help me balance properly when walking. We had a great visit and my husband and OS even talked about the stock market. When he was walking out the door, I asked him when he wanted to see me back??? He said, how many weeks are you post surgery...I told him 6 weeks.
He looked surprised and said, YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!! I will see you in a year!:yes!::dancy:
 
I SO wish my OS had told me all those things!!!

Especially the part about not seeing him again for a year!!!
 
:wowspring:
Aren’t you just a happy camper after that appointment! Congrats on the great news!
 
Good for you! So glad that things are going well for you!!!:yes!::cheers:

I'm surprised about his choice of clothing too. Besides scrubs I've never seen my OS in anything less than a button down shirt, nice pants and Italian leather shoes .( He's so adorable) lol
 
His office was having their Thanksgiving lunch right after I saw him and bless his heart (stomach), his stomach was growling the whole time. I fluffed him up a lot (knowing my husband might be needing his services for a R. hip replacement in the future). I ask him how is it humanly possible for a man to do that many surgeries in one day? He said it was all because of his wonderful OR staff that runs like clock work. They have the instruments he needs in their hands before he asks for it....so he said, "I'd better use it!" He said he did 32 surgeries this past week!
He also said how much he loves doing surgery/revisions but hates all the paperwork! He said the staff has to push him to do the paperwork...that he is dyslexic and thank God for audio books!!! I said, well how does that work operating on people? No problem because it is a spatial thing.

Thanks to BoneSmart, I ask for a copy of my operative report. Quite an interesting read: I had a "moderate defect on the left femoral condyle which he bone grafted and a bone defect on the tibia requiring augmentation, and the allergic nature of all the previous implants, this surgery took significantly longer and was much more complex than a usual revision total knee replacement". :wowspring:
 
I liked reading my surgical report. Thanks to things I’ve learned here, I understood more than I thought. That’s how I found out I had a lateral release done. It seems I should have known that before a year had gone by.

I’m surprised your surgeon is dyslexic! I don’t think I would tell patients that, even though he said it doesn’t affect the surgery.

Now you can relax and continue to recover any way you see fit! That’s awesome!

I always had those many appointments hanging over my head. He had me come in at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, 18 weeks(four months) and this is the one he hurt me the most, 7 months and finally 12 months. He wanted to se me at 10 months but I asked if we could just wait until the one year, and he agreed.

And what did all those check ups with X-rays each time get me. Not much. I have poor function and a lot of discomfort. But my X-rays look great. :doh:
 
My OS had told me that sometimes he does 13 surgreies in a day. 13!! He said most were scheduled but some emergencies .

And this past surgery I learned from my pre op nurse that he runs 2 OR's at once. He does a surgery and then his PA closes. And on to the next OR he goes. So I asked how he was able to do more or less simultaneous surgeries and the nurse said cause he's young.

Needless to say I was even more nervous that I was his last one for the day. Can't imagine how he remains so directed . Young or not . I'm glad I didn't know about his 2 OR's beforehand .
 
Oh one more thing, since my OS pushed down on my knee to straighten it....I now have a "clunking knee"! I think it is looser too.

Also, I can't believe this but my husband and OS were talking stock tips and I asked him to write down the stock. He asked his nurse to go get his personal phone and he TEXTED me the stock information on his personal phone!!! So now I have his personal cell phone #, which I would NEVER use!!! It was a rare day.
 
And this past surgery I learned from my pre op nurse that he runs 2 OR's at once. He does a surgery and then his PA closes. And on to the next OR he goes. So I asked how he was able to do more or less simultaneous surgeries and the nurse said cause he's young.

I have a feeling that it is the way it works with my OS too, someone (PA) is closing while the next case is being set up and he is seeing the patient prior to surgery and marking what knee/hip needs to be operated on. There is not much of a time lapse between cases.
 
Omg!! Have you told him about your knee??

After my first TKR my first physical therapist pushed down really hard on my knee. It hurt so badly that I couldn't go back to therapy for a week.

And I wonder if that and the subsequent MUA were part of the cause of my implant loosening along with the infection .I guess I'll never know but no one will ever push down on my knee again .
 
My husband and surgeon always talked Phillies baseball and Eagles football. :doh:
 
have a feeling that it is the way it works with my OS too, someone (PA) is closing while the next case is being set up and he is seeing the patient prior to surgery and marking what knee/hip needs to be operated on. There is not much of a time lapse between cases.

Is this even legal?? Lol
 
He looked surprised and said, YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!! I will see you in a year!
What wonderful news! Your doctor is fine with you skipping PT, too. What a jewel!

All those surgeries in one day. Wow! We're like an assembly line. I wonder if they even know who we are.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom