Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

Getting discharged late the afternoon if all goes well.:wink:

I had a nerve block that is suppose to last for 3 days. The problem is the lidocaine is causing my knee to buckle when I walk and I am not suppose to put any weight on it because of the buckling. So they stopped the lidocaine, disconnected the line to the nerve block. There goes my extra pain relief!!!:shrug:
 
Make sure you have some pain meds before the trip home, then you can relax. Home is best...
 
Welcome to recovery again, @Cementless .

Here is your recovery reading!
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
I’ve been thinking of you. Hope you have an uneventful trip home and can settle in for your recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm in a lot of pain. Taking the Narco 7.5mg/325 mg Tylenol every 4 hrs. The OS only gave me 7 days worth. When he talked to my husband right out of surgery, he said I was a "red flag pt." because I inquired about a larger quantity of Narco!!! ticked me off!!!
I have so much to tell....but don't feel like it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20181004_095018.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 185
I do believe we all are “ red flag” patients after knee replacement!
 
....ya..and should be given the pain meds necessary to keep us comfortable! I understand there is an"opioid crisis" but this surgical procedure requires strong pain meds. Doctors need to be more sympathetic to TKR patients needs.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure today the bulk dressing came off and I applied the Silver long dressing. Later will be shower day with glad wrap around the dressing. The OS said everything went well. He was able to keep my knee cap and he used some of my femur to fill in the gap on the tibial component.
 
I have to share with all of you how impressed I was with the hospital floor I was on. It is a special orthopedic floor just for hips and knee replacements/revisions. A 40 bed unit. It only has pts. Monday thru Thursday. Any pts. that need to stay longer have to be transferred to the 5th floor (general orthopedics
 
They spend Friday thru Sunday resterilizing the unit for hip and knee replacement/revision surgeries scheduled for the following Monday thru Wednesday. This floor has only been open for the past 2 years!!!
 
I assume most of you had to use the special soap the night before surgery and the morning of your surgery. Once I was in the pre-op area, they have you use the special soap again, steps 1-6 without rinsing. Also, my OS has the nurse swab betaine in each nostrils in addition to the Bactroban one uses twice a day prior to surgery. I appreciate all these precautions to prevent infection!
 
I am doing so much better than with my original LTKR. My leg seems stronger, maybe because it has bone cement? Right now it seems less swollen. I am taking my pain meds every 4-6 hrs., icing and elevating. I am getting plenty of exercise because I have to get out of the recliner every 30 mins to one and half hours to pee!!! :snork: Also, doing the ankle pumps. That is it.
 
I just had wipes to use on my whole body at a certain time, no special soap, the day before surgery, and then again just before surgery, nothing to use in my nose that I remember.
 
When did you get home?
 
@Jockette, I got home the day after surgery (Thursday) around 4 pm. I was OK to leave otherwise I would have to move to the general orthopedic floor!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom