Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
United States United States
It’s now a little over 6 months since my bilateral knee replacements on Mar 16. I know it’s a year for a full recovery but I’m amazed at how wonderful it is at 6 months! Last week I had a Drs appt on the 3rd floor & in the past I would have ridden the elevator- this time I walked up & then down the stairs with no problem! I had booked a camping trip with my photography club back in Jan & was not at all sure how recovered I’d be & how much I’d be able to do. I was concerned about walking on the beach & the stairs but figured I could enjoy what I could. I walked down & up the 4 flights of stairs to the beach multiple times each day, hiked miles along the beach & rode my bike! I can’t imagine it being any better at a year but will look forward to new adventures. Attached are some photos from the camping trip. Hope all of y’all have successful knee replacements!

Attachments

Mrs. Ciz

Country
Yay! Yay! Yay! I had bilateral TKR on July 6th. I’m 12 weeks on Monday. I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well at 6 months!!!! I hope I heal and progress as well as you have!

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
7 months now & life is great! My latest camping trip was far south oregon coast & just over the CA border to see the redwoods. Lots of walking - I walked almost 10 miles one day, much of it on a sandy beach! Last year this time I went to the painted hills in OR & was unable to do a 1/4 mile hike- that was when I knew I had to go ahead with knee replacements. This has completely changed my life. Photos are recent camping trip

Attachments

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It's wonderful to hear how well you're doing now. That's great encouragement for people who are still struggling in the early stages of recovery.

Lovely photos! Thank you.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
It's wonderful to hear how well you're doing now. That's great encouragement for people who are still struggling in the early stages of recovery.

Lovely photos! Thank you.
Thanks Celle - I try to remember to get back on here to post every so often as I remember wanting to see some successes when I was about to have mine done or had just had them done.

DJL1967

Country
Canada Canada
@pamsknees Thanks for the follow up on your progress, it sure gives people like myself hope that we can get back to our active selves again post surgery. I still have a few months at least till I get the call for my bilateral TKR's but I know it will be worth the wait in the end.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
I haven’t been on here in awhile - I intended to post every month, but time flies when you’re having fun. Today I did a 16 mile bike ride & hit 600 miles ridden on my bike since July. I rarely think about my knees now & realized a few days ago that the numbness is pretty well gone too. They just feel normal but without the pain that I had all those years. I’m so glad that I had them replaced and very glad to have done both at once. I hope all of y’all have a wonderful holiday season & great knee recoveries. Photo is from today’s bike ride

Attachments

sistersinhim

Country
What a wonderful outcome you have had! That's a nifty looking bike of yours. The low entry is the way to go. That's what I have but I'm seriously thinking of getting an electric assist bike for those long uphill rides. My body needs that help sometimes.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
What a wonderful outcome you have had! That's a nifty looking bike of yours. The low entry is the way to go. That's what I have but I'm seriously thinking of getting an electric assist bike for those long uphill rides. My body needs that help sometimes.
I am so fortunate in my amazing outcome ( with absolutely no formal PT!). The Ebike has been so very much fun! It’s really helpful for all the hills around here. I highly recommend them

sistersinhim

Country
What is the brand of your bike? I've looked at the internet at stores around here and I'd have to travel 60+ miles to try one out. But, to get it custom for me, it'd be well worth it.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
@sistersinhim my bike is BH easy street pro. It’s made in Spain. I’d strongly recommend going to a bike shop & test riding them. Mine was bought used ( at less then half the cost of new with only 700 miles on it when I got it). It is not the bike I went to try out. Each bike has a different feel & until you try it you don’t know. I rode 4 & would not have even tried this one except that it was such a good deal. ( I like color so a white bike wouldn’t have been my choice) - love love love this bike! Has every feature I wanted & a bunch that I didn’t know I wanted. Going to a bike shop instead of online also gained me the help if needed. My bike had a problem, was out of warranty & the shop fixed it for half the cost of parts & no labor. I know any future problems they will take good care of for me.

Birdwatcher

Country
Denmark Denmark
I haven’t been on here in awhile - I intended to post every month, but time flies when you’re having fun. Today I did a 16 mile bike ride & hit 600 miles ridden on my bike since July. I rarely think about my knees now & realized a few days ago that the numbness is pretty well gone too. They just feel normal but without the pain that I had all those years. I’m so glad that I had them replaced and very glad to have done both at once. I hope all of y’all have a wonderful holiday season & great knee recoveries. Photo is from today’s bike ride
so happy for you! You are doing better than me. My knee still get swollen and I also still have numbness.
Bike riding really do make a huge difference.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

senior
Country
Thanks Lynn @NightQuilter !
my new knees have totally changed my life! Today I rode my bike for 30 miles & the only reason I didn’t ride longer was that I needed to use the bathroom & then it started raining. Last week I sat on the floor to shave a dog & had no problems getting back up. I walked up & back down 3flights of stairs last week like a normal person ..... It used to take great effort, one foot at a time to each step & resting at every landing & would hurt for days afterwards. A year ago I couldn’t walk all the way thru Costco without tremendous pain & stairs were impossible. What a Change! I hoping there’s improvement in the COVID situation so that I can visit Portugal next year & be able to walk all over exploring it- now that I’m able to walk as much as I want to , I’m ready to explore the world .

I hope all of y’all have a great new year, minimal pain while recovering & a great outcome.

NightQuilter

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wow! @pamsknees - fabulous progress!:biking: So happy to hear of your flexibility and endurance. And a great goal to visit Portugal. Continued success to you in this New Year! :dancy:

DJL1967

Country
Canada Canada
@pamsknees
" ..... It used to take great effort, one foot at a time to each step & resting at every landing & would hurt for days afterwards. A year ago I couldn’t walk all the way thru Costco without tremendous pain & stairs were impossible. "

Wow this is exactly what I experience today. You give me hope that someday I can feel normal again and resume activities without the pain I am experiencing now.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well and that you take the time to post to let us all know how you are doing.

Take care and keep enjoying those new knees.

Carmencita

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hey @pamsknees. Just read your story and it is SO uplifting! It gives me encouragement and hope as I await my replacement on 18 Jan (only 2 weeks aargh!). I’m so scared that something will go wrong, but reading your story gives me strength and positivity. You’re obviously an “action girl” and are well and truly back in action - great story thank you!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
waggy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom