Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

Great update! Best wishes as you finish working and plan for your retirement.
 
It's wonderful to hear how well you are doing. You have made me determined to get an electric-assist bike. I'll have to travel about 50+ miles to get one, but it'll be worth it.

After my TKR my #1 goal was to get back on my bike and to go hiking. I did both within about 6 months. Of course, I started off really slowly, but I did it!
 
Today was my 1 year knee follow up . What a difference - last year before surgery, I parked in a handicapped spot & was still miserable just from the short walk in. I used the elevator & it hurt to stand in position for the X-rays. I was exhausted by the time I got back home.

this year I parked way out in the parking lot & enjoyed the walk on this gorgeous day. I used the stairs & had no problem standing for X-rays. My Dr released me for 4 years & said go play & ride your bike. On my way home I stopped at the grocery store ( presurgery I couldn’t have done a Dr visit & the grocery store on the same trip!). Then I rode my bike for 20 miles & then took my dog for a 3 mile walk & have done some gardening.

im so glad that I had it done & am very glad to have done both at once!
 
I realized that it has been a long time since I updated. My whole life has changed…….without my new knees none of it would be possible. I ended up retiring from my job & moved to Portugal! Patient care had become increasingly more difficult so while my plan had been to work until age 70, I started rethinking that. I disliked the increasing violence in the US & realized I could move elsewhere when I wasnt tied to a job. The more that I researched places, the more Portugal came to the top of my list. I visited in Oct 2021 with an idea of moving in 2023. I ended up liking it so well that I moved my plan forward and moved in Feb 2022. I chose to do without a car- my town is on the metro line to Porto. I bought an ebike ( my 1st purchase, ordered even before I arrived ). I now walk between 5-10 miles/ day & have put 800 km on my bike since Mar. Prior to my knee replacement, I could not walk even 1/4 mile without severe pain. I am loving living in Portugal & now I rarely even give any thought to my knees.
 
It’s so great to hear from you, and how well you are doing! I often post a link to your recovery thread for new bilateral members, especially since you didn’t do any formal PT, and you have such a great outcome.

I’ll tag @Sara61, who also lives in Portugal. She’ll be happy to know how much you are enjoying your new country.

Thanks for stopping in with an update. :flwrysmile:
 
What an exciting report - not only the big move, but the accomplishments with your knees! Walking 5-10 miles a day is huge. Congratulations on both!
 
Welcome to Portugal @pamsknees, although we are at opposite ends of the country, I do own a property near Braga, which is not far from Porto.
The warmer climate will bring joy to your joints and walking and cycling too.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Sara61 ! I am loving Portugal & will over time explore all of it i am sure. Today with the heat wave, i am looking forward to some cooler weather.
 
Totally agree today it was 40 degrees on my terrace, I'm currently staying in the country. Sadly wildfires are my main concern the Algarve has been hit badly this year.
Stay safe xx
 
Yikes! It wasnt quite that hot here & has cooled quite a bit now to 23 & should stay at 23 or below for the next week.i hope the wildfires get under control quickly.
 
Happy New Year to all! [Bonesmart.org] Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR
In November I decided to walk the dog & take out my recycle stuff all in one trip. I didnt want to carry a bag to the beach so piled the recycle stuff on my arms & went down the stairs . Big mistake as i couldnt see the steps over the recycle stuff & went head first down 10 steps! Luckily i have a hard head. I ended up with a broken toe & sprained knee. I was very concerned that i had done serious damage to my knee as it was very swollen. I am fortunate that i did not have more serious injuries. The hard part has been the difficulty walking with the broken toe & inability to ride my bike. It has been a reminder of how grateful I am for my new knees as before my knee replacements i was unable to walk even 1/4 mile without severe pain. Now i normally walk at least 10 km / day.
 
@pamsknees Wow!!! you are lucky and I am so glad to hear the knee replacement is okay. I just broke my middle toe and can attest to how much it impacts walking.

Congrats on the move to Portugal, good on you to make such a big change in your life.

Glad to hear that after 33 months the knees have given you the freedom to do what you were unable to do pre surgery.

All the best and thanks for the update.
 
I’m so sorry you fell, and down 10 steps, wow! Amazing that your knees were not damaged more than a sprain. It’s good to know how strong those replacements can be. I hope the toe and ankle heal well.
 
Happy New Years to you.
Glad your knees are ok. Hope you toe heals quickly so you can back to your active life.
 
Happy New Year! Glad you didn't damage your knee replacement and good luck with your recovery.
 
Oh, my goodness! Thank God you weren't injured any more than you were. I hope you will heal quickly and completely.
 
Mt goodness! What a lucky lady you are! You'll be back to your walking (without piles of recycling in your arms) and bicycling in no time! :biking::walking:
 
Back
Top Bottom