Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My one concern is an area of swelling & redness at the bottom inner area of my right leg - almost looks like a second incision. Photo attached.
I think you should remove the steristrips from the red area at the bottom of the wound - at 16+days post-op they aren't necessary anyway. Nothing is going to burst open.

It looks to me as if you had a couple of blisters there, possibly a reaction to the previous dressing. At any rate, the steristrips aren't helping there.

Let the air get to that area. If it weeps at all, apply a clean, dry dressing - and contact your doctor if it gets any worse.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
United States United States
@sistersinhim i am so enjoying the flowers in my new yard! Today’s discovery is my future blueberries 3A7B399C-C120-4E4F-B43F-4ED753377B29.jpeg
i managed a pretty long walk today.......Longer than I was able to go before knee replacement! It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Oregon

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
Thanks @Celle ! I sent a photo to my surgeon who said the same thing- it’s a blister .

Ready2HikeAgain

Country
@pamsknees - great to hear your progress. I too am so glad I had both knees done. Interested in hearing how you managed after your walk. How far did you manage? Pain? Swelling?

gooseisland1

Country
So I now know how you have nice flowers this early "oregon"!
I love that state. Here in upstate NY we are just getting green, my wife is just uncovering the flower gardens now. Getting outdoors is great medicine.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
@Ready2HikeAgain i walked about 3 blocks with no pain . I was a little sore in the evening , but muscle pain on the outside of my thighs, not any knee pain at all. I was also totally exhausted & went to bed about 9 . I have not been having much swelling at all but I ice & elevate a lot.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
@gooseisland1 the part of Oregon that I live in is a rain forest so we have lots of green. I love it here so much & am very glad to have moved here from Texas. I had a farm before Dec when I sold it & moved into town...... having a farm got to be too much work & I want to be able to travel. I was fortunate to find an amazing home with spectacular landscaping & I think my recovery is easier here then it would have been on the farm

gooseisland1

Country
oh do I know the outside thigh pain. I am more sore where they clamped my thigh than in the knee. I have started using heat there and seems to be helping,

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
I may have to try heat @gooseisland1. I expected a lot more knee pain but wasn’t expecting the thigh pain

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
Today is 4 weeks since my bilateral knee replacement. Knees seem to be doing well. Last night was the 1st time that I had trouble sleeping- my legs did some weird twitchy thing. Maybe I overdid it on walking around? I ended up taking a 5 mg oxycodone which knocked me out( I’ve been just taking Tylenol as the pain is so minimal)

I’m walking outside quite a bit as we have beautiful weather here in Oregon. Of course since I’m not doing PT my Rom & extension are not measured , but today I got in my car to start it since it’s been sitting in the garage for a month & I had no problem getting in or out of my car. I’m looking forward to the day when I can go bike riding on a real outside bike! I’m very glad that I had this done & especially glad that my surgeon recommended bilateral

gooseisland1

Country
It is great that you continue to progress so well. It seems that as we can do more the knee says "hold on" I am not ready for that!
I am now driving and started back to work yesterday. I sit at a desk in small office, I can ice when needed and move around as required to prevent stiffness. I am also glad that I did this operation, as I can feel the improvement already.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
How did the driving go @gooseisland1 ? I feel like driving would not be a problem for me ( not that I have anyplace to go other then my post op visit in 10 days ). I am off work for 12 weeks - I do elevate & ice a lot which wouldn’t be possible at work for me so am glad I took the time off. My company is closed now anyways with everyone furloughed which should end about the same time that I am ready to go back.

bikinglynn

Country
@pamsknees, you will be pleasantly surprised when you drive. I had concerns about being able to lift my knee to push the brake and accelerator, but I discovered I don't lift my knee, I pivot my foot back and forth with my heel on the floor. The only issue is driving for any length of time, so I use cruise control when possible, so I can flex my knees a little.

Yes, bike riding on a real bike outside, that is something to look forward to!

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
@bikinglynn how long after surgery did you start driving? I wouldn’t be driving far, just about 3 miles to my post op visit in 10 days- it’s just easier to drive myself then to ask a friend to do it. My initial plan was to use Uber, but I’m not comfortable with that with the pandemic. I’m not taking narcotics other then an occasional 5 mg oxy on rare nights.

gooseisland1

Country
Driving has gone well for me. Being that I only had left knee done it is easy. I would say my leg gets uncomfortable after an hour in the car, it likes to have its postion changed frequently.
I still use oxy some nights and would not drive when using it.

Rick951

Country
@pamsknees I had a Right PKR. I was driving after 3 weeks. I did a few test drives, with some simulated panic stops. I wanted to make sure I had the ability to properly control a car. I was also down to just Tylenol for pain.

bikinglynn

Country
@pamsknees , I waited until my 6 week checkup when my doctor gave me the green light. My situation was different, in that I had someone to drive me around. I probably would have started sooner if I was on my own.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
Thanks @Rick951 & @bikinglynn ! My 6 week post op check up is what I’m hoping to drive to. It’s not far , & I’m not on narcotics . I don’t feel like I’d have any trouble stopping- I backed out of my garage & pulled back in a few times - no pain. A friend will come drive me if I need her to, but she’s 30 minutes away so that takes several hours out of her day. Of course I may find out that they are doing telemedicine appts in which case I’ll have worried over it for nothing . Planted more seeds today & did a little longer walk. The knees seem less stiff every week & even at the end of the day have little swelling. I still ice & elevate a lot.

sistersinhim

Country
You are improving really nicely, especially for a bilateral that's not even a month old yet!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RAS54
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom