Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

Day 4. Total exhaustion & while the pain isn’t bad , never finding a comfortable spot is wearing. I was prepared for most things, have plenty of food, friends bringing meals, a good recliner with bird feeders outside my window & a dog bed by my side. I wasn’t prepared for other things - too brain numb to be able to follow the photo editing photos I had downloaded, or be able to do much of anything at all. Just taking a shower was exhausting but so very rewarding
 
The exhaustion will get better. Each day you will notice you are able to do something that you couldn’t do the day before. The first week or two will seem like a blur. I can remember waking up and not even realizing that I fell asleep for two hours, just because my body was healing. Sleep will probably seem fitful for these first couple of weeks so take it when you can. Totally agree on the upper body strength. It was what saved me with doing both knees at once. I am almost to week five and really noticed a big improvement this last week. The extension and flex in ROM made such a huge difference. I am now walking so much better now. Keep us updated and feel free to contact those of us who have had both done, if you have any questions. Having both done is unique and presents it own different sets of challenge. Wishing you the best.
 
Thanks so much Readytohikeagain! Life is a blur right now with dozing off & on. I don’t normally watch tv but reading is impossible & I’m missing all endings of shows. Once my brain fog lifts I hope to get all of my continuing education done online - but I need to stay awake for it.
 
Hello congratulations on getting both knees at the same time!! I did that too, In Aug. of 2017. People would say how brave to do both. I am so glad I did it that way! Honestly its a long haul but time is the healer. I wish you all the best. Keeping a journal was valuable for me. Ice is your new best friend.
 
The upper body exercises have definitely helped a lot. I go home today - my surgeon said they’re trying to get everyone out of here with the corona virus ..,...had mine done just in time as now all are cancelled! I will just do pt at home as they’re closing the pt facility.
[/QUOTE]

Glad everything went well and that you are recovering at home. You were very lucky to have had the surgery before all electives were cancelled. I was anticipating mine this spring but all electives are cancelled now so its a waiting game. I think if I can get it done by fall I will be lucky. More frustration and pain for me but that is nothing compared to how covid-19 is affecting some people. Lets hope we can get control of this virus soon.
 
Thanks DJL1967! I agree that I was very fortunate in so many ways! My sons appeal for leave was approved after being cancelled & that my surgery was done before they ended. Thanks to this forum, I feel that I was very well prepared. My new knees are way more stable then the old ones so that has been a pleasant surprise. I hope the corona virus crisis is over soon & that you get yours done too
 
Day 6 I am doing well getting from bedroom down a step into sunroom & up a step into living room by myself. Today I’ve managed to make my own chai latte & heat up the turkey pot pie a friend brought me. Lots of swelling but not much pain- I’m on tramadol & Tylenol during the day with 1 Celebrex & adding in 1 oxycodone at night. I have a breg polar care ice unit on each knee running all the time. Home health pt is scheduled for tomorrow but I’ve sent a text delaying that for at least a week with the corona virus. My work has been shut down & all employees furloughed with the corona virus......I was on FMLA leave so I assume that I still am on leave until June as approved. It’s a crazy world out there - so many changes in a week, not just with my knee ,
 
It sounds like you are coming along really well. I think it was a good idea for you to hold off on PT, not only for the virus protection, but for your knee is start healing without the trauma of PT so early, too. Many doctors wait at least 2 weeks before starting any PT. The knees need this time to calm down some from the traumatic surgeries they just went through.
 
Glad you are hanging in there pamsknees! You are a tough cookie! Disturbing all the uncertainty in our world with this virus and the economic affects for everyone. Are you happy with your ice unit?
 
@Rubyroo - I love my ice units! I have one for each knee so a little aggravating to set up but they work incredibly well
 
Hello Pams Knees
I am glad to hear you are doing well. We had surgery the same day, I too just beat the hospital elective surgery shutdown.
I love my ice machine, sitting here having my morning coffee while icing!
 
@gooseisland1 so glad you got yours done too! If mine had been cancelled I’m not sure I’d have gotten up the courage again. I’m already glad I had it done & it’s only been a week. My knees are so much more stable & at 1 week out I can go up & down my 1 step between sun room / bedroom or sunroom / living room more easily then I could before surgery. I am super sensitive to any medications maybe because I never take anything, so when I take the oxy at bedtime, I am out & sleep well. I’m doing the exercises at my own pace as pt got changed to home health & I did one visit & now am checking in by phone.
 
I am pleased that you are doing so well.
I am also doing PT myself at home, with great results. I am also using the oxy only at bedtime,
sleeping well "on my side"!!!
 
Wow @gooseisland1 - look at you! Sleeping on your side......I’m impressed! There’s no way I will be sleeping on my side for a long time. I was worried about sleeping on my back but between my adjustable bed & the oxy knocking me out, it’s been fine.
 
@pamsknees Glad to hear you are making good progress!! I am scheduled for my 2nd, left PKR/ TKR on July 1st. I asked my OS about either the "Game Ready" or the "Breg" Ice machine. One of the things I struggled with on my right PKR was Calf cramps. I saw the Breg has calf compression sleeves. I would be interested in your thoughts about it?
Best of luck on your recovery journey!!!
 
@Rick951 i have the breg - as far as I know, it does not have compression. I had bad leg cramps prior to surgery & my surgeon said I’d likely have them after too. I haven’t had any this week so far. I did take coq10 & magnesium ( with surgeons approval & not for the week before surgery). Maybe they had an impact?
 
The exhaustion will get better. Each day you will notice you are able to do something that you couldn’t do the day before. The first week or two will seem like a blur. I can remember waking up and not even realizing that I fell asleep for two hours, just because my body was healing. Sleep will probably seem fitful for these first couple of weeks so take it when you can. Totally agree on the upper body strength. It was what saved me with doing both knees at once. I am almost to week five and really noticed a big improvement this last week. The extension and flex in ROM made such a huge difference. I am now walking so much better now. Keep us updated and feel free to contact those of us who have had both done, if you have any questions. Having both done is unique and presents it own different sets of challenge. Wishing you the best.
My surgery was 2/25/20--similar to you. Where is your flexion and extension now? I am working slowly and gently on those. Glad you are doing well!
 
@TrixieRuby - no idea what extension & flexion are - they were measured at home health PT (with no pushing) last Thursday at 87/88 & -3/-4 which she said was amazing. I can tell it’s improving as I can more easily sit in the shower. I ice & elevate day & nightwith walks around the house every hour or so. It’ll be awhile before I have in person PT with the corona virus so it won’t be measured......I’m not concerned & maybe it’s for the best Anyways
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom