Bilateral TKR Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR

My victory of the day - I was able to clip my toenails! Such a little thing but long toenails bug me when they scratch against my sheets & being by myself, there’s no one to clip them for me. Goofy but I had to share my excitement with y’all who will understand . Have a great day & celebrate even the smallest of accomplishments
 
Oh yes, I understand. This is a big thing, especially for those of us who had no one to do it for us. Good going! Celebrate your new big step.
 
@bikinglynn how long after surgery did you start driving? I wouldn’t be driving far, just about 3 miles to my post op visit in 10 days- it’s just easier to drive myself then to ask a friend to do it.
Good to hear about your progress Pam. Like Lynn, I too started drIving around week 5 or 6. It was a lot easier than I thought. Good luck to you!
 
Post op appt today - my surgeon, Dr Jewett said I'm killing it - no need for PT, just keep doing what I'm doing . Xrays show everything is lined up perfectly & im clear to drive. I’m super happy! Just being clear to drive , even with no place I need to go, is freedom . He doesn’t measure ROM, either extension or flexion , just had me bend, straighten & walk & said I’ve done amazingly well, so I still don’t know numbers & don’t care . He did remind me that it’s a year long recovery so even if my progression slows to just be patient. I’m already better then before surgery so anything more is a bonus in my opinion.
 
You have an awesome surgeon! Mine never told me I takes a year, though I had a partial, so he might have thought that would be a quicker recovery. (It’s not!) Mine was also big on PT, and pushing my knee as far as he could so he could record the highest number possible. :hairpulling: I dreaded my check ups!
 
@Jockette I am very pleased with my surgeon. He came highly recommended & I waited a long time to get in but well worth the wait. He told me from the 1st appointment that it’s a year recovery although I’d be able to do most things at 12 weeks. He never has touched my knees to try to force a bend- he cares about function not numbers.
 
I was blessed to have as very good surgeon like that, too. I never took PT and he never touched my knee. He looked at my function and never measured me.
 
Pamsknees
way to go; you have the right attitude. my surgeon is like yours also. I'm at 2.5 months and doing great thanks to Bonesmart. I can do everything except ride my bike. that's because of my right knee that still has arthritis in it. my ltkr is healing up great. my surgeon said I could take PT if I wanted to; but I declined and he was fine with it. keep up the good work . keep fellowshipping with all of us here and we'll be here for you.
 
That is terrific. I am sure you will continue to progress at the same rapid pace.
March 16 must have been a great day for operations!!!
 
And you two got in right before the shutdown for elective surgeries, (though I don't consider this surgery to be elective!).
 
What is the normal time to quit using the ice machine overnight? I’m sure there is some variation like everything, but it’d be helpful to have an idea of when I can quit. I started out using it all the time except for when I got up, then at 3 weeks went to using gel packs during the day when I was sitting sown &ice machine at night. Ice machine was a huge relief before but now I’m really really cold when I use it- to the point of having trouble sleeping. I’m guessing knees were hot &inflamed before & not as much any more. I will be 6 weeks out on Mon
 
Let your knees be your guide. When you swell and are in pain, then ice. If you feel fine, then don't use it. I used mine off and on for months, letting my knee be my guide.
 
I stopped icing around 8 weeks, wasn’t providing any relief ..that said, you should see how your knee reacts ...time, above everything else, is your best friend....PT helps, ice is nice...time And ADL’s are your best friends
 
I now only ice when i feel swelling in the knee and things are tight. If I ice when the swelling is down it makes the knee hurt.
Yesterday I did my hot tub for the first time, it was fantastic and the new knee loved it.
 
Mon will be 7 weeks for me. I am really glad that I had this done - walking with no pain is amazing! I think I am almost ready to give the 4 wheel walker back- I use it for long walks just in case I go too far & need to rest . I have no problem with feeling unsteady or like I might fall but didn’t want to take that chance.

I have discovered the importance of a gradual increase in the distance I walk or how much I ride the exercise bike. It’s interesting how there’s no pain when I overdo it until I try to sleep that night & then it keeps me awake. I also found I can’t stand in one spot for too long as I get the same results . I’m up to about 1.5 miles walking & 5 minutes at a time on the exercise bike.

I feel like I could probably go back to work with no problem but my company has furloughed all employees & will gradually start back starting this week. I am glad that I took 12 weeks as it’s easier in my job to go back early than to ask for more time.

I have enjoyed getting to spend extra time with my dogs & have gotten to play with my camera more too. The weather is wonderful here in OR so sitting outside or puttering in my yard has been nice.
 
Tomorrow is 8 weeks. Today I way overdid it with too much walking & standing in one spot. ( I think it was worth it as I got some baby coot photos - I think they must be the weirdest looking babies ever. I will attach a photo) . I came home & iced & elevated, so I’m hoping it doesn’t keep me up all night! I may skip my usual walk the next day or two which will disappoint the dog.

i got called to go back to work on June 15......I miss working so I’ll be glad to be back! I’m lucky to have a fun job & a great employer. I’m hoping icing at lunch will be enough.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Pams Mar 16, 2020 bilateral TKR
    BC82E2EE-D32A-40C7-AF97-A9786A89C761.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 276
What a great photo @pamsknees and sometimes it's worth the extra pain to enjoy a good day out walking very good for our wellbeing. Is there anywhere you can at least elevate your leg whilst at work even if it's for a few minutes at lunch break? Take instant gel icing bags that way you can always just place on the knee when needed. Lucky you going back to a job you love - sadly this year is going to be wishy washy I work in tourism so not sure if we will have any tourists or no xxx
Stay safe xx
 
That is a strange looking baby. Thank you for sharing it with us. It was worth the extra work to get that shot! You can take a couple of days off to let your knee bounce back if it's fussing at you.
 
What a great photo @pamsknees and sometimes it's worth the extra pain to enjoy a good day out walking very good for our wellbeing. Is there anywhere you can at least elevate your leg whilst at work even if it's for a few minutes at lunch break? Take instant gel icing bags that way you can always just place on the knee when needed. Lucky you going back to a job you love - sadly this year is going to be wishy washy I work in tourism so not sure if we will have any tourists or no xxx
Stay safe xx
Sara I can probably figure out some way to elevate at lunch, no recliners there but I can put my feet up on something. I think it was worth the extra pain as this is a bird I’ve wanted to see for years.
 
Back
Top Bottom