THR Pain in hip after nine years.

That's interesting Debbie; I had never heard of these different gaits before.
So, is the idea that you keep using the cane til you strengthen the left side some more to prevent the limp/gait from occurring that way I guess?
 
I just returned from Weight Watchers. Up 4 pounds. Oops. It must be all the chocolate and fast food my husband has been feeding me. Of course it's his fault! :heehee: Everyone couldn't believe I just had hip surgery. It made me feel good. Driving was fine. No problem......Sweet freedom! I went to the cleaners, grocery shopping, put the groceries away.......a typical pre-hip replacement day, except I'm still missing the gym. It won't be long now! :yahoo:
 
Yes, that's what I hope to do. Just continue to strengthen my weak side, which I think occurs naturally as we walk and get stronger and further away from surgery. I will use the cane until I get there. But, I am also trying some PT exercises to help it along, like balancing on the weak leg to get it used to my full weight.
 
I noticed that when I was just starting off I had to really focus on taking straight even steps. The cane would help control that some but mostly it was focussing.

@MajorHeidi I found the first night I tried laying on side it was just not working. Second night I grabbed a smaller pillow, actually a little decoration about 10x10 x5 thick. It works like a charm and easy to adjust to right place. I can lay comfortable and rest but alas still difficulty sleeping.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
You are right, Sheryl. When I really concentrate and focus, I can walk pretty straight. I am getting a little stronger every day. I am also really focusing on stretching my quads by standing on my good foot and putting a strap around the calf of my bad leg and bending my leg back at the knee and pulling up and holding that stretch. It feels so good and I am noticing it gives a little more each day. It's funny, because I feel like my foot is almost touching my butt, but then I look in the mirror and my foot isn't even at a 90 degree angle to my butt yet. I have a long way to go.
 
PT gave me exercise of just bending leg backward at knee but not pulling. Over the course if the week- supposedly 30x 3x day but more like 20x 2x most days - I started just barely 20 degrees and very tight to at least 90 easily.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Debbie @Dmcfad2 , wonderful on the driving and getting out, you are right, it is freedom! You are really coming along. Still no appt on your follow-up? Dont worry, your gait will improve, esp with your PT helping you. Milestones!:SUNsmile:
 
5 weeks post op......Another milestone. I moved from the guest room back to my bedroom last night. Hubby was happy to have me back. I slept well, except now I am having groin pain again in my right non-surgical hip that is waking me up when I move in bed or get up from chairs after sitting. Hoping this will resolve in time as I learn to walk properly again and stop relying on my right hip so much. I had this problem before surgery, was actually having MORE pain in the right hip, but OS thought we should go ahead with left anyway to see if right would sort itself out after surgery. So, I keep hoping that will happen. My left hip feels fantastic. Just some incision pain that gets worse in the late afternoon and some intermittant aches and pains here and there as I continue to heal.
 
@Dmcfad2 I remember reading that you were conflicted on which hip was worse before your surgery. I am hoping unique non-surgical side starts to feel better and that it has just been overcompensating during your recovery.

I'm hoping you don't have to have more surgery anytime soon! I honestly don't know those folks get through bilateral surgery, or for some, a very short time between the 2 sides. Just seems like it would be overwhelming so I hope that doesn't happen for you!

Other than that, though, it sounds like you are doing extremely well!
 
Hi Debbie at @Dmcfad2 I loved really your update and agree you do really have to concentrate on walking properly and not falling into pre surgery limping etc. my PT said the longer you limp the longer it takes to relearn to walk properly...habit I suppose.

One to watch is your knee going up stairs...I had to work on making sure my knee went directly over my foot and not to the side.

I really hope that your other leg is reacting to taking on the extra work. Fingers crossed xx

You can always ask your PT for exercises to increase your ROM.

Keep up the good work and by the way your weight gain was very tiny!!!! Well done
 
Hey,@Dmcfad2 ! Had a few minutes before getting ready for work, checking in on my fellow bone smarties! Just wanted to say, with the gait thing: I found myself favoring my new hip when I switched to the cane. I guess I was just thinking I was supposed to. Then my PT said, remember, you are allowed to put you full weight on that leg, they fixed it! lol, so I did, but it still seemed as if I should ease with it. After about 2 days, that all went away and I had a smoother gait. A day or two later is when I tossed the cane aside. That's not to say anyone else should do the same, but just an example of concentrating on the walk. Glad you are doing ok!
 
I asked original PT about if "weight bearing as tolerated" really meant full weight when walking even on walker -- and they stressed that yes, absolutely. When I was working on walker I realized I couldn't walk "right" - not painful just talent in moving with walker and walking "right". I had practiced with cane before and had indeed worked out a "normal gait with cane". Using the cane the first week or so (before I kept losing it which PT reassured me was "natural progression", I, after reminder by PT, was able to stress normal, non-limping, even walk. When I could find my cane (lol), I would make myself use it to slow down and get a normal, non-limping, even walk. But, that said I am still getting a lot of pain in right hip (deny, deny, deny) and right back. My OS said, too, that right hip would more than likely improve after surgery. Oh, please tell me, I would rather have done both at once then have to do again so soon or live with limitations of bad hip until fully recovered and THEN do over. :beg:
 
@Dmcfad2 OMG You are doing so good...UNBELIEVABLY GREAT!!!! I am feeling GREAT one day and then shot the next. I am still letting my body be my guide...if I am tired...I sleep and today I'm sleepy. I too still have that sore hip, but I think it is getting better. Keep on recovering!!


I'm feeling exactly the same, great one day, but aching the next day from having done too much the previous day --- I'm hoping it's just our hips getting used to us using them again after such trauma.
Good luck x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
For anyone interested, this is the Trendelenburg gait - I was very severe pre surgery, post surgery it was fixed..

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
 
Post op 5 weeks 2 days.......I feel like my gait is getting much better. As I gain strength in my operated hip, I am finding it easier to put full weight on it and walk more normally. I was able to walk most of yesterday without my cane and still maintain a pretty normal gait. In the late afternoon when I have been active and I am tired, I have more weakness/soreness in the hip and I really have to concentrate then. I still focus on heel to toe and a full stride. That is helping me. Plus, doing stretches to loosen up my hip flexors and quads is giving me a little more ROM every day, which also helps.

Everything I do is getting easier, it seems. I am able to lift my leg to put on my clothes in the morning, I am walking over 3 miles a day. I still have 90 degree restrictions and I think I could get my socks on without an aid by lifting my leg, but I won't try it now. I find myself breaking the 90 degree rule without thinking about it sometimes. A week ago, my hip wouldn't let me! I have been driving for 3 days now and it is so good to get out and about. It really helps my outlook. I have a new appreciation for those people who are home bound because of injury or illness. All of my stretches are getting easier, too. I am getting more ROM as I gently stretch my hip flexors and quads every day religiously!

I want to go back to the gym and start working out again. I see my doctors assistant next Wednesday and I am going to ask to be released to do that. I feel like I could go right now and probably do the elliptical or bike, but I want to make sure it's okay. I have always been a gym rat and that will be just about the last thing to make my life feel like it was pre-surgery! :upright:

It is pouring down rain as I type this and I'm going to see if my DH wants to go shopping with me today. I'm lucky because he likes to shop as much as I do. Maybe I can get a new outfit to make me feel even better! I'm tired of wearing yoga pants and I don't know if my old jeans will fit right now, as I admit I have been enjoying my meals! Just some shopping therapy.........:yes!:
 
Congratulations Debbie, on your recovery! I hope to be where you are in 3 weeks! Let me know what your doc says about elliptical....=) Kathryn
 
You are doing just perfect! This is how I want to be...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well, we did go shopping. My husband is a veteran and we are able to go on base to shop. They have a very nice, big department store that sells clothes and lots of other stuff. I took my cane, but used a shopping cart in the store, so was able to lean on it. We had lunch, shopped for over an hour; it was very crowded, I tried on clothes, walked all over the place and boy, I am hurting right now! I guess when I am that active, my hip still complains. It just showed me that I am not recovered yet, even though I felt so good this morning. Since I don't work, I am not having to be on my feet a lot, so today was an eye-opener. You guys who are working are awesome! I wonder how you do it. I just keep telling myself, "remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint!"

It is so easy for me to get frustrated. I want to be better now! I am tired of thinking about my hip all the time. After shopping, when we were going back to the car, I couldn't even keep up with my husband when he was walking at a normal pace. He had to slow down for me. Will there come the day when I can again match his pace? I sure hope so. I worry that I won't ever get there. These are the things that go through my mind. The ups and downs of my recovery.....
 
What great reports Debbie @Dmcfad2 it's so great to see how far you have come!!!

This surgery does teach us patience if nothing else. It is a marathon not a race!!!!!

You are doing fantastically well and like Claire....I look forward to the day I can write a report like that.

Now rest, ice and take some pain meds

Xxx
 
Hi Debbie, I suspect your body just protested in the afternoon after the different movements shopping, trying on clothes, leaning on a shopping trolley - did you feel stiff after sitting for a while after you got home?

Yes, go back to the mantra, rest, elevate, ice and prescribed pain meds (if needed) x
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom