TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

In Edinburgh it will be wheelchair but you'll not mind at all as you're wheeled past the queuing hordes! Your family can come too.
 
These are my walking sticks. I’ve had them about 5 years and used them all the time before surgery....

https://www.pacerpole.com/

I also have crutches that i’m using now.

Before my surgery I used airport assistance and felt a little guilty. But it hurt to walk, even with sticks. I’d say just take it, whether it’s a wheel chair or cart, and have fun!
 
That's the type of thing I used before surgery but I have the rubber feet on them. Can use them with our without.
I will feel guilty using assistance but it's only 3 weeks away and it can be a long walk to gate and there are stairs down to get to the plane so I think I will need to use the assistance.
 
Don't feel guilty @Mollymax. You have mobility problems. There are veeerry long walks at Edinburgh Airport these days. We were there recently and couldn't believe how big its got. Don't forget that queueing for check-in and especially security can be a long stand. Also passport control at the other end. If you have assistance there's usually no waiting. I found the standing a real killer just before my last TKR.
 
Exactly! Molly, don't feel at all guilty about asking for wheelchair assistance. It's the right thing to do.
Here's an article with some more tips about Flying soon after surgery
 
I worked for an airport and with airlines: They want you to use the wheelchair service if you need it. You doing so enables the various services (security, gate personnel) to do their jobs more efficiently. No one wants you to be in a security line and unable to handle all the standing. No one wants you to not make it to your gate on time because it takes you so long to walk a long concourse. And no one wants you to be in pain. The service exists for people like TKR patients, the injured, the less abled, and the very elderly. Besides, if airlines make travel easier for people, they encourage more people to fly. 'Tis a practical business.
 
Use the help offered-I did on my trip to Maine in May and it was so much easier to get from plane to plane. I wouldn't have made a couple of my connections without the help considering the long distances from one gate to another in some places. Just don't forget to generously tip the people who wheel you around. I hadn't even thought of it until I saw a lady who was being wheeled to her airplane tip the man who was helping her. And they had to work hard to get me to my flights every time-some of the airports I went through were massive and required a real workout for the employees helping me.

By the time I got to my own airport on the journey home I had run out of cash to tip with so texted hubby to make sure he brought some to tip the final guy who got me to the car and got my luggage rounded up and hauled out to boot.

It was hard to swallow my pride and accept the help, but it really was a necessity. We all need a little help sometimes, and other people feel good when they're able to help us, so it's a win-win when we accept the help needed.
 
Tipping is not expected so much over here.
 
Tipping really isn't a big thing over here. In restaurants maybe but not generally in everyday life. It's hard to convey the different attitude to tipping between Europe and America.
 
Thanks for the advice and for the article. I will use the assistance as you have all made valid points for taking the help. It's not something I have ever needed so will feel a bit embarrassed but I was worried about the amount of standing waiting to get through security and the walk to the gate.
We don't tip here in UK. Only really for restaurants and taxis and maybe your hairdresser. It's not the done thing. Funny how things differ between countries.

Took a lovely walk with hubby and dogs today. Stopped and talked to a lady who had adopted a lovely little dog from Romania. It was great to get out and chat with someone other than hubby. Unfortunately the heavens opened and I couldn't walk fast enough back to the car and got soaked. I did use 2 sticks as we were on a little wooded path. Really felt operated knee was doing well. Stiff yes but pain free. Can't say the same about other knee.
 
I do get that tipping isn't always a thing in your countries, but that doesn't mean you can't thank someone in some way who goes above and beyond in helping you. (although if you tip wait staff at restaurants, taxi drivers and hairdressers, you actually tip pretty much the same way we do over here....lol) The people who helped me had to get me on and off shuttles to get from one gate to another, up and down ramps-one of which was unreal in the number of levels of steep ramps they had to go down to get to the plane; push me up steep inclines and hold onto me down some other steep areas, practically run with me to catch one of my planes in time, wait with the wheelchair while I used the restroom, and so on. It really was a job to care for me and I appreciated not only their hard work, but their cheerful attitudes.

You can carry small tokens of appreciation with you in case you do feel like thanking someone, even something as simple as a thank-you note. I often bring a nice box of chocolates, some nice fruit, or something homemade, for my hospital room to offer to those who come in to help me. This last time I had hubby bring me some nice peaches, nectarines and plums from our trees to share.
 
The way service people are paid here in the US they really count on the tips. Pay is probably better in Europe.

Congratulations on the nice walk @Mollymax !
 
First long drive today. Unfortunately there was an accident on the motorway and traffic was very slow. This meant a lot of foot on and off the clutch as we crawled along. Knee did not like it very much.
 
It's amazing how much of a knee workout driving can be. All that knee and ankle bending to change gears.
I noticed that I must have a better bend as I don't need to have the seat pushed back so far when I'm getting in and out of the car. Still need to have the door open pretty wide so parking can be a problem.
 
@Spex10 I find I don't need to push seat back now to get in and out but I do need to be able to open for wide. Parking can be a problem if someone parks to close to me. The other day thank goodness hubby was driving as when we came out of supermarket someone was right up next to us. I had to wait till hubby reversed putt of the parking bay before I could get in.
Yesterday my knee felt sore. It was above the knee. It felt hard and hurt when moving and to touch. It's ok today though.
Starting to sleep much better now. Hubby is back in the same bed as he was getting fed up on single bed in other room. Managing to sleep on my side no with no problems. Bliss.

Worried about seeing the surgeon on Friday. I hope she doesn't think I am a pain asking to see her earlier to ask about other knee and recovery of this one.

Got physio on Wednesday. This will be second and last appointment with her.

Going to see if I can get another 2 weeks off work then I have my 2 weeks holiday and then I will return to work. I don't think that's unreasonable.
 
That all sounds like progress to me. Hope the surgeon can clarify things for you.
I've got what I hope will be my final appt with OS tomorrow. The PT wanted to see me after that. Hope it's the last session with him too.
Both knees a bit stiff and sore today. Very damp weather and walking more than usual? Don't know.
I do think my ROM is sneaking up generally. I try to measure it but don't think I'm at a good enough seating angle. My knee obscures my toes if I bend. That seems quite far (unless I have especially tiny feet!!)
 
Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow Spex10. It was constant rain yesterday and damp and dismal here today too.
Bit downhearted as I tried a little walk today - 1.5 miles - but it was so slow and unoperated knee hurt with every step and I felt like it was moving and it kept clicking and it hurt. At one point it gave way followed by operated knee. Just as well I had my walking poles with me or I might have fallen. I guess it must be bone on bone the way it feels. Feel very down and miserable now tonight. Thought I would be very much better by this stage. I don't have pain in operated knee though.

@Spex10 try measuring with the ap I have. Look it up in Playstore. It seems quite accurate. It measured me at 94 last night.
 
It's a matter of locating it properly. I use an official goniometer but don't think I fit it in the right place.
From a practical point of view I walk OK, can go upstairs on opposing feet and sit with feet flat on the ground. I know there's stuff going on in my knee as it's hot sometimes so still healing. Time will tell...
Sooner you get that other knee done the better!
 
I can go upstairs ok but when putting operated knee up first bout do I feel it in the muscles. I too can sit with feet flat on the floor. When sitting at dining table I purposefully try to slide my foot back under the seat to encourage bend. I do know it is getting better. It just about reaches into the next square on the bathroom tiles. When I first started measuring that way it barely made it over the line of that square. Now it's nearly the next one. I sometimes feel it hot too.

Certainly in the doldrums tonight.
 
Back
Top Bottom