TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Spex10 I just tried to come downstairs putting unoperated leg first but well I just stood there trying to put it on the next step. I just couldn't do it. I went up fine but the other looks like it is going to take some time. My bend isn't improving but like you I can sit with feet flat on the floor for some time. I have been waking 1 mile a day as well as round the house doing normal things. Like you you I have been using my stick outside. My muscles keep making my leg collapse every so often so don't trust not using it even though some people are telling me I shouldn't need it now. As you say probably psychological. A bit worried my surgeon will think me a pain wanting to see her but I would really like other knee done by end of the year. Silly I know because I know my fears will kick in again despite being OK this time. How are things going for you? Managing to drive and get back to a normal life now?
 
Yes pretty much back to normal. Knee isn't perfect but compared to how I was at this stage last time its fantastic.
I meant to say in my last post - how can you bear the compression stocking over your scar? Mine is still very sensitive. I often roll my trouser leg up (in the house!). I only wear soft old cotton trackies but even they are irritating.
 
You just keep using that cane for as long as you need it. Doesn’t matter why you need it; you need it and it makes you feel safe, so keep using it. At two months post-op your knee is still getting stronger and you are still re-building trust in its ability to do its job. That was a big part of recovery for me: Learning to trust the new knees.

Going down the stairs normally often comes later. More people find it easier going up at first than down. The down will come as your knee gets stronger and you learn to trust it. You might be surprised by just doing it one day out of the blue.
 
My knee has only been sensitive a few times. Mostly not a problem that way. It's the tightness of it over my knee that makes it a bit uncomfortable. Not wearing it all day to start with until new knee gets a bit better. Because of the lymphodema I just want to see if it will help the swelling go down a bit. It's good you are getting back to normal. I further what normal is as both knees have been so bad for years I have forgotten what a normal walk is like.
@SusieShoes I will keep using the stick for now. Some people at I know that have had knee replacements keep saying oh I had stopped using my stick by that time. Makes me feel a wimp because I am still using it.
I guess you are right about the stairs. It will come eventually. Going up is hard but I am thinking surely that will strengthen my muscles up. It was so funny though standing at the top of the stairs trying to come down them. Think of a child who has just learned to go up and hasn't a clue how to get back down. That was me this morning when I tried not to come down one step at a time. I put leg out to go down and brought it back then tried again and again and then gave up. I felt my brain just couldn't understand how to do this. Really I suppose it was funny if you had seen me
 
I just did it and it was very sore! !
 
@Mollymax. You should definitly use your cane.Your muscles are still not strong and your other knee needs to be done.

I am seven months out and still use my cane out in.public.Most of it is to do with my other knee which is being done within two months.I am on a cancellation list.

My other knee has gotten a lot worse lately in not feeling strong and being
painful when walking.

Be careful on the stairs I almost fell down the stairs head first one day.I even badly pulled a muscle in my upper arm because of this.

I don't know about you but I am still building strength in my TKR knee and trying to cope with my other knee too.

I also know that I am still very out of shape.I was not exercising or walking a lot for probably five years before my TKR. So this is going to take some time.

Don' t be so hard on yourself.You are trying and that is the main thing.Even something as simple as walking the dogs.

I couldn't walk our dog before my TKR.I was barely walking to the car and I had to sit down to make dinner.I know it is hard but I try to appreciate the small steps.Like I can stand for much longer now and I go out a lot which is good for me.

Things will get better.You are still in early stages.:)
 
I realised on Tuesday as I was standing in the street waiting for a taxi that my knees didn't hurt. I nearly cried. I haven't been able to just stand without pain for years and years.
Obviously other aspects have to improve but that felt very significant to me.
 
@Spex10 That is great to hear and you are still in the early stage of having your second knee done.I think we need to report on here when we notice these accomplishments.They are significant and we should take a moment when they happen and be thankful.

I am having one such moment today.I spent the morning vacuming and mopping and cleaning bathrooms and cleaning out the fridge.I just finished starting the dishwasher and threw a load of laundry in and am now sitting drinking tea.I have to say that my non surgical leg is throbbing but not my TKR leg.

I hope you have many more of these moments happening soon.
 
Gosh @Nigella2 that was a busy morning! I was horrified until I checked and saw that you're 7 months out! It made me feel so lazy at 8 weeks out. I don't feel so bad about my quieter day. Is your non surgical knee due for replacement? @Mollymax sounds like her other knee is crying out for it.
 
@Spex10. I live in Canada where there is sometimes a two year wait for a well known skilled surgeon.When I saw my surgeon at my six month check up I asked him if I could be put high on the list because I had been such a " good patient". Mostly I had to get on his gatekeeper's good side if there really is one.

I am number one on the list.Probably the end of September.You are right @Mollymax and I both really need our other knees done.That is one of the reasons I reached out to her.

It is very difficult or impossible to walk properly or do stairs with one leg recovering and the other in very bad shape.

You are right though,I sure as heck wouldn't have had a morning like that at 8 weeks out.Unlike my neighbor's good friend who took 4 dogs out to a rough terrain dog park 1 week after their TKR.:banghead::blackcloud:
 
Well--your neighbour's good friend was an idiot! Bet she didn't tell your nieghbour the price she'd paid for it in pain and swelling afterwards!
 
I highly doubt this ever happened.I am shocked that everyone has these crazy recovery stories to tell.

I think the TKR people themselves are plain lying or can' t remember anything as it really happened.

I remember when I went for my two week checkup and there were a few people there all around the same recovery time line.

There was one person who was in a wheelchair one person who was using the walker and crying in pain and one person in pain who ended up with an infection.

I think that is a more realistic picture.:doh::sigh:
 
There was one elderly lady sitting next to me in the waiting room after my first TKR I was completely stuck at about 50 ROM and very depressed about it. She had her legs tucked neatly under her chair. I was so envious. But we got talking. She was miserable, poor soul, couldn't sleep and really felt ill. I felt fat, stiff but OK. Swings and roundabouts!
 
@Spex10 I will know not to try it again then for a while. That's good you found your knees didn't hurt waiting for taxi. I do find my operated knee more or less pain free when doing certain things. Certainly not the pain I did have.

@Nigella2 it's awful that the other knee gets so bad that we struggle because of it. I was very fit before the operation. I was doing 20+ mile walks just the week before. I had trained hard all winter because I had 2 big walking events in May. I thought I was fit enough to recover quickly but hadn't realised my muscles weren't working right due to my awkward gait. You are right when you say it's impossible to walk properly when the other knee is in a bad way. I keep saying to my hubby that I would be walking so much better now if only other knee was done. I really am walking on tiptoe on that leg. I can't put foot down or bend that knee when walking.

I have 2 people I know who have had both knees done and they keep saying oh by your stage I was doing this and I was doing that and I didn't need my stick. One even said he was climbing a ladder at 3 weeks. Do they just forget what it was really like.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pain 2 years after TKR
Don't know if you can see how swollen unoperated knee is compared to operated one which is swollen due to op.
 
Meant to say I slept on my side this week. Hadn't even realised I had turned over until I woke up. Bliss.

Another step forward too as my little ap says knee bend was 93 tonight. Not bad considering when I started using it I was at 68. So things are getting better
 
Oh yes it really does look swollen. That is one unhappy knee!
It's lovely to be able to sleep on one's side and front isn't it. I'm sure that's why I can sleep so much better. Hope you do too.
Off on hols soon?
 
@Mollymax

I hope you can have your knee done soon. I think it does make a difference in recovery if they’re both in working order. I was so nervous about my first knee....but I was looking forward to the second. Maybe once you have a date it will be better.

Congrats on sleeping on your side! I have abig u-shaped pillow that I wrap around my legs and it helps with side sleeping!

And use your sticks! I have really great, adjusible walking sticks from pacerpole in the Lake District. Once i stop using crutches, I’m going to use them. I don’t care what other people are doing. I’d prefer to be comfortable and upright!
 
3 weeks on Tuesday till my holiday Spex10. Airport assistance booked so I don't need to pay for Fast Track and Priority Boarding. Can't remember if you said you used airport assistance at Edinburgh or not. Just dont fancy being pushed to aircraft in a wheelchair. Was hoping it will be on an electric buggy. Will be using one stick in airport that's for sure.

@Eeek is that walking poles you are using instead of the walking sticks? I used walking poles on all my walks for the last few years. Pride makes my want to use them instead of a waking stick. About to go for a short walk with hubby and dogs so going to use them instead of the waking stick. Yes I think once other knee done I will be walking so much better.

Today my knee is a bit stiff. Not really sore just uncomfortable being so stiff.
 
Back
Top Bottom