TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Spex10 We are in Lockerbie at caravan and it's been a lovely sunny day. It rained during the night but was dry by morning so it wasn't that.
@lovetocookandsew I think I got a bit complacent as I don't feel I have had to bad a time off things up till now. I would say after the first week or two things haven't been bad until today. Can understand what you are saying though.
Going by today though going back to work isn't on. Maybe in 2 weeks things will change.
 
Been a fairly good day. Had a decent sleep last night. Knee much better today. I think if I sit and think things through things have not been as bad as I feared. Pain no where near the extreme pain I was expecting. Could actually be off painkillers if it wasn't for other knee. Other knee not good and painful. Phoned surgeons secretary to say was disappointed on Friday not to see her and could she tell me how long between doing knees do I need to wait. She will speak to surgeon tomorrow and call me back. Just need to wait and see.
 
@Mollymax
So chuffed you had a better day. Sometimes they just are. Embrace and try build on it.
I have followed your recovery thread and really felt for you when things have been a struggle.
Hopefully when your other knee is replaced and time has allowed both knees to recover you will begin to enjoy all the things you are missing now.
:fingersx:
 
Hope you hear good news from the OS tomorrow. It was a good idea to phone. You can only ask!
 
Morning . Bad night last night and nothing to do with pain. I just couldn't sleep. Eventually about 1am put a really boring TV programme on and fell asleep watching it. Woke enough to switch it off and went back to sleep. Result :)
Surgeons secretary called this morning. She said she was sorry I wasn't happy with the registrar that I saw and the OS has said she will see me in 3 to 4 weeks instead . She asked what I wasn't happy about with the registrar I saw so I said for a start when she called me in she kept me waiting 5 minutes while she typed up notes of the previous appointment while I sat there. Oh dear I must have sounded a real whinger. Anyway I will be seeing the OS in future. Was I so bad phoning and asking to be seen earlier? Feel bad now.
 
Was I so bad phoning and asking to be seen earlier? Feel bad now.

Mollymax, do not feel bad about wanting to see your surgeon. About 5 years ago, I had a tibial plateau fracture and was referred to an orthopedic surgeon (OS). I never once met the surgeon, only ever saw his physician assistant (PA). Don’t get me wrong, I liked the PA, but felt it would have been nice to have had at least one appointment with the OS. After all, I was, through insurance, paying for a specialist. A couple of years later, when my arthritis progressed, my primary care physician asked if I wanted referred back to that OS, I said no and I did not want to see anyone else at that facility either. Instead I was referred to an OS, a little further away; but, I am so glad I was. Every appointment I have had since, I’ve seen my surgeon. For about two years before my TKR, I was getting cortisone injections in my knees, my OS administered every one.

I completely understand why you want me to see your surgeon, that is the one you trust and the one who knows your case the best. I would have been angry too. Good job standing up for yourself and expressing your displeasure with the appointment!
 
When I have an appointment with my Surgeon, I only see my Surgeon and would not have it any other way.
 
Don’t feel bad, Mollymax! You did exactly what any of us would have. I would have said the same thing if I wasn’t satisfied with a visit.

While I can see having a PA do a simple follow-up (one did my 2 week follow-up, which was uncomplicated and totally ordinary), I would want to see my surgeon. I’ve seen him for every other visit. I’m paying for his skill and opinion and that’s what I want.

My surgeon’s PA, by the way, is highly trained and wonderful. She’s been with him for many years and I trust her depth of experience. She’s great. :) But if I have an issue of any kind, I want to talk to or see my surgeon.

You should see your surgeon every time if that’s what you wish.
 
Big difference between US medical system and ours.
 
By PA do you mean a consultant in training - a registrar-or do you mean a nurse specialist?
 
@Mollymax

Of course you should complain. Everyone needs feedback. You should feel that your concerns are dealt with and questions answered. And this person who saw you - registrar - is she still in training? She definitely needs feedback.

When I see my OS, he has a bunch of junior doctors. I talk to the junior docs and then I see the big cheese. It’s Fine - having worked in an academic hospital, i’m used to the training model. But I also feel quite free to ask the OS whatever I need. So far the docs have been very polite, answered all my questions and I like the idea that these people are learning.
 
Since I went through a terrible appointment with opinion #3 (and "fired" him) here's my 2 cents worth:
We are the "customers". Without us the OS's would not have a job.
 
Thanks everyone. I was worried I had done the wrong thing It's so good to get feedback on here and be able to discuss things with you all.
Update - secretary called me back and because my OS is on holiday the first two weeks of Sept she is going to see me on 31st August. Also I had asked the registrar for a letter for the airport for my holiday and she said she would get it out to me. The secretary said there was nothing about it in my notes. I knew she wasn't paying any attention to me. She didn't measure the bend or straightness only said it looks like... Blah blah blah.
Its good I am seeing surgeon before I am meant to be back at work.
 
We don't pay our surgeons directly though. There are complaints procedures for each hospital but it's quite a palaver to go through.
@Mollymax did the best thing by contacting the OS's secretary directly. That's not possible in some places though - secretaries being replaced by technology. This loss of direct human connection is a big worry. Not sure if it'll end up being a cost saving in the end.
 
Sorry to hear about your BP problems, the fluids will help, hope your up and about real soon:elevate:
 
Don't worry about the airport. They weren't interested in my knee replacement at all. I've flown 8 times since my first. If in doubt roll your trouser leg up!
 
By PA do you mean a consultant in training - a registrar-or do you mean a nurse specialist?

A PA is a Physican Assistant. They can be nurse practitioners or have a degree in physician assistant. They work under the supervision of the doctor.
 
We don't have those @SusieShoes. Currently it's either a doctor or a nurse not sort of half and half!
 
Getting a bit better at sleeping. Now hubby and I are back in same bed and I am not disturbing him so much.
Wish I could walk better. I am sure it's the unoperated knee causing the problems as still find I am walking on my tip toes on that leg and that I am keeping that knee rigid as it won't bend the same when walking and is very painful. Oh my surgeon is going to love me next week... Lol.
I have put my compression stocking on this morning as registrar said to go back to wearing it for the lymphodema. Not sure I can keep it on for long. Its pressing on my knee and is a bit painful. This is going the most recent stocking as I have several due to losing so much weight they had to keep getting me smaller ones. Maybe I need to get a bigger one out if I can find them and try that.
Managing occasionally to go up stairs properly but can't do it down the way. Still have to come down one step at a time the baby way.
 
Re stairs: me too! Going up is fine but coming down? not so easy. My bend really hasn't improved much. However, it's OK. I'm quite happy to sit with my feet flat on the floor for hours. Walking is OK too. I use my stick when I'm out but mainly for psychological purposes!
Your other leg really needs sorted pdq. It's good you've got an appointment so soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom