Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

I bought the trainer for my bike last night. I tried it on a step-through bike at the store and realize how nimble we have to be to get on the bike, balance, and pedal all within a couple of seconds. I am going to hook my bike up to the trainer this weekend...only thing is that to access it I will need to do 17 stairs. I am sick of stairs. 13 to get in and out of house.

My gym pool opens next week and I am going to try swimming. Does anyone know if it is okay to do the flutter kick or breast-stroke kick 7 weeks post-op?
 
I am a lap swimmer, but only swim outside due to over chlorinated pools/air. So I didn't swim until 7 months after my surgery. You can check with your OS, but I'd give it a try and if it hurts, don't do it. It took me a few days to get the hang of kicking again after my TKR. I could only do a few laps at first and really had to build up slowly.
 
Thanks, KarriB.
Can you do the whip kick now? Am hoping I can eventually resume the breaststroke. Maybe I won't rush into swimming as I probably wouldn't get too far but gives me something to look forward to. I have also thought of joining a fall water aerobics class but that is probably too much too.
 
Yes, I can whip kick. I do a length freestyle and the next breast stroke, alternating the whole 45 min-hour that I swim. I do some water walking and now squats as I've just realized I can do them in the water with no pain.
 
I would not be in a hurry at all to get a step-through bike. I have no trouble getting onto and off of the saddle of my Specialized road bike or my Giant fitness/trail bike.

You will get everything back---the strength, the stamina, and the balance will all be there---but, like it did for me, it may simply take some time.
 
Hi Kneeper! That's what I thought might be the case. And I have stairs to get to the locker room then more to the pool. I swam before my TKR and my knee always felt loose so I actually learned to swim without kicking. So it will be challenge to kick again. Lots of challenges ahead! Lots to look forward to. Thank you!
 
I told @referee54 and @Roy Gardiner that I woould let them know when I am on my bike and trainer. I am. And, Roy, you were right getting on and off is not a problem. Getting pedaling from a stop is what the challenge will be.

You guys gave me the confidence to get the trainer and get on it. My bike isn't that big, but I hadn't seen it since the day before surgery, and in my mind, I made it gigantic!

Not ready to take it on he road yet though.

I was going to post a photo of my bike and trainer but the server wouldn't let me do it. Said the photo was too big. BTW, like me, Robin Williams had a red Bianchi.
 
You guys gave me the confidence to get the trainer and get on it.
I have a CycleOps Fluid Trainer that use in the ugly winter months here in northern Ohio. I ride it regularly in the winter and then trade off to either the elliptical for an hour or so at the gym or my stationary bike.
 
I just bought a used trainer because I love being outside and really miss the freedom of being on my bike. But it is starting to sink in that rehab will take time. My bonus daughter, a two time ironman, recommended a fluid trainer. Maybe I should have listened.
 
I have a Cycle Ops trainer I'm not using. Too bad we don't live closer.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Polo2015
Hi PB! If you lived up here, I could teach you to curl. The St. Paul Curling Club is the largest in the country.

I am starting to feel a bit overwhelmed needing and wanting to get back on my bike and then learn to use that stick...oh well life goes on. And I won't overdue. I will be ready when I am ready.
 
This has been a big day for me. My PT okayed me to go down stairs normally, but better yet @KarriB and @PolarBear60 I went swimming. I did laps for about 15 minutes and I know I was grinning ear to ear. Still am. I feel like I am joining the human race again.

My OS's PA okayed me for the flutter kick but not the whip kick. It was hard not to do the breaststroke, my favorite.

Better things ahead.
 
Yes certainly better times ahead for you @Wanttobebiking :) I loved getting into the pool following my hip replacement -- enjoy, but I did find that it was easy to overdo it, especially when gravity took over getting out of the pool :)

Did you know how the body goes about the process of healing following surgery (or an injury)?

Here is an article which explains this process.... :)

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Yay! There's nothing like swimming for me and glad you got to enjoy it again! Good for you!
 
Yes certainly better times ahead for you @Wanttobebiking :) I loved getting into the pool following my hip replacement -- enjoy, but I did find that it was easy to overdo it, especially when gravity took over getting out of the pool :)

Did you know how the body goes about the process of healing following surgery (or an injury)?

Here is an article which explains this process.... :)

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
Thanks Poppet! I did read through these and all great reminders!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom