Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

My OS says getting in the hack to deliver the stone should be no problem but I certainly could not do it today
I think you'll be able to participate in two months
I don't agree. You're only 6 weeks yet . I would suggest you don't even consider this until a minimum of 4 months out, better yet 6.
 
And that might be the case. I won't do anything to jeopardize my revovery, which is why I am always worried about too much vs not enough. If it doesn't feel right I won't do it regardless of what my OS says. He was way too optimistic on the biking. I can always start the curling season late by getting a sub but getting the stick makes sense because regardless of when I start it will be best to start slow and more safely. Thanks Jo.
 
I defer to Josephine's expertise.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You will get back on your bike. 100%.

Get a static trainer (not rollers, they are hard!) and use a step to get on. Easy peasy.

Took me about 6 months to be riding OK, and I had to learn to pedal again with my new knee. I now ride the Olympic velodrome, having taken up track riding post BTKR.
 
I vacillate between thinking I am doing too much and not doing enough. I probably do 30 to 60 minutes of PT a day, 1-3 walks, and stationary bike--hit 17 minutes today.
That's certainly not too little!!! Less is more in TKR recovery.
 
My OS (one of the best in the Twin Cities) thought I would be riding at 4 weeks.
Maybe an exercise bike---but never in my wildest dreams would I imagine having somebody ride a real bike at four weeks---just when you are emerging from "The Dark Days of Recovery."

Consider what has been done to your knee. Progress in a TKR is measured very much the same way we measure movement by glaciers. Patience is the key---and do not worry about getting back on the bike---you will indeed.

However, there is nothing you can do to speed up your recovery---it will take as long as the body and the knee need to recover---you are on the knee's schedule.

There is nothing you can do to speed that up, but there is plenty that you can do to slow it down and make it more painful.

Listen to your knee, ice, elevate, and rest---when in doubt do more of that than anything else.

Do not try to do too much---fight the urge to out work or overwork your knee---this is not an athletic event---you are recovering from very traumatic surgery. As Roy said, "Less is more"---and it works.

Lose the work ethic and let the knee dictate what is acceptable---and do thing past the point of discomfort.

A full recovery from a TKR can sometimes take upwards to a year---at six months, I was at 80%-85%, and it was not until eight months that I was at 90%-95%---and it kept slowly moving forward from there.

You will get back on the bike---I am riding farther and feeling better than ever---Friday, I did 55 miles, and today I did 36. I try to get about 120-160 miles a week. A few weeks ago we did two a two-day ride that totaled 150 miles for charity. You will have more fun on the bike once you are fully recovered!
 
Great advice Referee and very encouraging. I will let you know when I am back on a bike...it might be months but I will do it. Might never get to 150 in two days but it gives me something work toward. Good for you!!!

I told A friend of mine tonight that revovery would be much easier if I were a type B personality! Just kidding!
 
You will get back on your bike. 100%.

Get a static trainer (not rollers, they are hard!) and use a step to get on. Easy peasy.

Took me about 6 months to be riding OK, and I had to learn to pedal again with my new knee. I now ride the Olympic velodrome, having taken up track riding post BTKR.

Thanks, Roy. I guess it might take me that long too. I don't know but I am really looking forward to it. I ride a Bianchi road bike but I have been thinking about investing in the new Bianchi step-through bike because I cannot imagine getting off the road bike in my current condition. Feel like maybe I need a transition bike but maybe when I am ready a few practice mounts and dismounts using a trainer are in order first before I throw money at a new bike I don't want to ride long term.

Thanks, Roy for the encouragement and advice.
 
I am at 17 wks. and I certainly wouldn't set myself the routine you have been doing! Now I will admit I was doing leg presses before 12 wks. (oops!) but only 15 at a time and only once a week and didn't start until wk. 6. My doctor wants me to continue with my PT (quit formal PT at end of wk. 9) but more importantly to him is that I simple walk 1 mile at least every other day which is pretty easy to do. I still have tightness down the outside of the knee and some swelling, tightness, and definite soreness down the back of the knee but me extension is excellent and my ROM is about 135. One of the things I do to help ROM is simply lay on my back and hold my leg up bent at hip and knee and let my foot drop to put pressure on the knee joint. Told my PT girl I was doing this but it made pain at the back of the knee, so she had me put a rolled up wash cloth at the back of the knee--it worked! Now I can do it without the cloth.
 
I still have tightness down the outside of the knee and some swelling, tightness, and definite soreness down the back of the knee but me extension is excellent and my ROM is about 135. One of the things I do to help ROM is simply lay on my back and hold my leg up bent at hip and knee and let my foot drop to put pressure on the knee joint. Told my PT girl I was doing this but it made pain at the back of the knee, so she had me put a rolled up wash cloth at the back of the knee--it worked! Now I can do it without the cloth.
The back of my knee hurts tonight. I took a 0.5 mile walk but pretty much did nothing other than some step work today plus lots of icing. However, I too have been doing what you are doing: letting my foot hang down with my knee bent while lying on my back. Maybe that is the cause of the pain. Walking has not been painful for weeks, but stairs are still a bugaboo. I am going to talk to my pt about using a wash cloth like you did. 135 is my goal. Congratulations!!!!!! Good for you!
 
Do not obsess with numbers---let the PT folks worry about that, as they are a very quantitative lot.

Remember, during your recovery you will gain ROM, lose ROM and have plateaus, as well.

I am not really sure what my ROM is---maybe around 130---maybe not---I am not sure.

Numbers, though, do not matter to me, as what does matter to me---doing everything I want to do and doing it pain-free---is what it is all about. That is what truly matters.

I can umpire behind the plate in a HS and a college baseball game.. I can cycle for 100 mile a day. I can work on a produce farm. I can fell trees, cut them, split them, and use them to heat my home. I can go up and down stairs. I can walk my dog, and, lastly and most importantly, I can dance with my wife. No pain. Numbers mean diddly to me---it is what I can do that means the most.
 
:iagree: I have no idea what my ROM is either. My revision dr said he'd be happy if I got to 90, but I know with biking I'm past 90 and over the weekend realized I can squat in the water! But I have no clue what my ROM is and my OS has never asked or told me what it is. He just moved my knee side to side, bent it forward/backward and watched as I sat on the table swinging my leg. Yes, I LOVE my OS!
 
I have been thinking about investing in the new Bianchi step-through bike because I cannot imagine getting off the road bike in my current condition.
I did it this way.

1. Came to a halt, foot down, nice and steady. One foot still clicked in, pedal at the top of the stroke.
2. Made sure I was steady!
3. Unclick.
4. Lift that leg (quite slowly, to hold balance) so that the underside of my thigh was resting on the saddle. So, standing on one leg with the other cocked over the bike... :heehee:
5. Slide the saddle under the thigh so that it's next to the knee
6. Slide the leg off the back of the saddle and then over the rear wheel.

All of these movements done slow and easy, so I was always steady.

It was also good if I could stop with my foot-down side next to a wall, so I could lean on it. Nice, but not essential.
 
I did it this way.

1. Came to a halt, foot down, nice and steady. One foot still clicked in, pedal at the top of the stroke.
2. Made sure I was steady!
3. Unclick.
4. Lift that leg (quite slowly, to hold balance) so that the underside of my thigh was resting on the saddle. So, standing on one leg with the other cocked over the bike... :heehee:
5. Slide the saddle under the thigh so that it's next to the knee
6. Slide the leg off the back of the saddle and then over the rear wheel.

All of these movements done slow and easy, so I was always steady.

It was also good if I could stop with my foot-down side next to a wall, so I could lean on it. Nice, but not essential.
Thanks again, Roy! I have some work ahead of me. But this helps a lot and I can visualize it and practice it on our very short retaining wall a few times when I am ready.

My husband and the bike shop guys did say it might be best to stick to a bike I am familiar with. I googled where you ride. Looks cool. Minnesota has some of the longest rails to trails paved paths in the US and lots of lakes to ride and walk around with the shortest one by me 1.5 miles...that will be my first walking and biking lake.

I will let you know how the practice dismount goes but it might be awhile.
 
:iagree: I have no idea what my ROM is either. My revision dr said he'd be happy if I got to 90, but I know with biking I'm past 90 and over the weekend realized I can squat in the water! But I have no clue what my ROM is and my OS has never asked or told me what it is. He just moved my knee side to side, bent it forward/backward and watched as I sat on the table swinging my leg. Yes, I LOVE my OS!
Good for you!!! My PT asked me to pick something up from the floor and I did what I had been doing for years, knees locked bent from the waist. She laughed and said can you bend your knees and I did a mini squat and picked it up. Now I find myself doing this at home to my surprise. Mind you I am not tall and what I do is not really a squat per se. The pool at my gym is closed until Sept 1 so I have that fun to look forward to as well. Swimming is my second favorite sport!
 
I can umpire behind the plate in a HS and a college baseball game.. I can cycle for 100 mile a day. I can work on a produce farm. I can fell trees, cut them, split them, and use them to heat my home. I can go up and down stairs. I can walk my dog, and, lastly and most importantly, I can dance with my wife. No pain. Numbers mean diddly to me---it is what I can do that means the most.
I think my goal is 135 only because that is what my other leg is and I want them to function and feel like a team. Referee you are an inspiration. I tried to dance with my husband in our living room the other day in a moment of joy and it went well although we both were very, very constrained. I hope to bike, curl, swim, dance, hike, and play rough house games in the ocean with my growing grandkids. If I can do all this, eventually I will be a very happy camper.
 
Agreed. First step non-rolling trainer to practice indoors, using a step stool. Second step, practice dismount outside first using retaining wall. Third step...the real thing.

Thanks again. Still a few weeks away from all this but it is coming!
 
The goal really is, can you do the things you want/need to do. much of the recovery comes in the first few months, but you can continue to gain function for a year. Just listen to the knee and remember recovery comes in increments--and not by sheer will. ;)
 
That's for sure. Seems I am kind of on a plateau this week. Would be nice if we had a magic wand or some pixie dust but reality is always there. Am icing now. Under a blanket in the middle of summer! Glad it's not winter in Minnesota. Although I do like your penguin :-)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom