Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

You probably need enough ROM to get on and off the floor, to get in and out of a Kayak. Suggest you try first on dry land. A dry run so to speak.
:kayak:
 
Di have a seaeagle inflatable kayak and love it... I can put it in the trunk, it sits a bit higher so easier on the joints and to get in, I can sit on the pontoon side whil knee deep in the water... Of course it is VERY slow and gets a lot of wind resistance... But pretty comfy.
 
Here is a video on YouTube, it will give you an idea of how to get up off the floor. You can also ask a PT to show you how. You do not need to go down or up on your knee(s).
 
I will be 9 weeks post-op tomorrow and I have to say I am doing really well. I saw my OS on Tuesday and he told me to quit PT and basically get on with life. I have biked 4 times outside, wirh 3 miles being my longest ride. While I am not as much of a long distance rider as @referee54, 2o to 25 miles is a good distance for me, and what I hope to be able to do next summer. I will be happy if I can do a 10-mile ride before the bike season ends in Minneapolis/St. St. Paul.

My night aches and the heat in my knee have nearly dissappeared. @jbrooklyn my OS said the night aches could last 3 to 5 months and were due to metabolic changes in the joint capsule and bone remodeling.

Despite doing so well I face challenges. It still hurts to walk down stairs normally. I start curling in 2 weeks and instead of getting down in the lunge position to deliver my rock I will need to learn how to deliver it using a stick standing up. Then eventually, and hopefully this season, I can relearn how to do it the normal way.

My endurance is far, far from normal.

@Pumpkln I did get down on the floor and back up again. Thanks for that video. I never would have tried it without watching that. But I have not tried it twice. Once was enough. :heehee:

I am even starting to sleep better.

I do however wish my knee felt more natural. It clicks most of the time and it is still tight, sometimes after doing too much and sometimes from not doing enough.

I want to thank the forum advisors and moderators who always seem to jump in with the needed information at the right time. Ditto to my fellow survivors and sufferers.
 
Just past 9 weeks myself, and agree that recovery is happening! I have watched the get up from the floor video a few times, but have not had the gumption to try it yet. You sound really great!
 
Despite doing so well I face challenges. It still hurts to walk down stairs normally. I start curling in 2 weeks and instead of getting down in the lunge position to deliver my rock I will need to learn how to deliver it using a stick standing up. Then eventually, and hopefully this season, I can relearn how to do it the normal way.

My endurance is far, far from normal.
That's all to be expected at only 9 weeks into a year-long recovery. Time, and Patience, will slowly improve your knee. Just don't try to do too much and everything will come right in the end.
 
@Wanttobebiking - Just now read your thread. Our surgeries were on the same day, not sure how I missed following you up to this point. Sounds like you are doing GREAT!!! Will look forward to watching you progress from here. :yes:
 
Way to go @Wanttobebiking! I must admit that I look very funny getting up from the floor, was doing it like the video before I saw it but with a little more butt lol!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Braunzie Hmmm. Now I need to read your thread to see how you are faring. I sort of jumped in late but the way I feel today, if we lived closer, we could lift a wine glass and share a toast. Hopefully that will last.

@Slainte Well, you were the one who started the whole kayak conversation. And since a FA took the time to send me the "get down onto the floor and up again" video, the least you could do is try it. Just kidding. Only when you are ready. Actually it wasn't that hard just awkward and shall we say very ungraceful.

@bdink21 LOL. I sure wouldn't want to be the one demonstrating the maneuvor in the YouTube video!
 
@kneeper thank you for responding about the feel of my knee. The click and the tightness are my biggest concerns right now. And I know for some people that doesn't change. Nice to know there is still time for that to change. Thanks again!
 
Thanks--I am very grateful to know more about the night aches and the hot feeling on my knees. Makes sense--and thanks for sharing how long it is likely to last. It feels easy to lose perspective and think it's always going to be how it is today, which would be miserable! Still really happy you are biking again. I've run a few steps several times, and it feels just fine. Feels too soon to go for an actual run--but it is so weird that running a few steps doesn't hurt, but lying down makes my knees ache. Now I know why! Have a good one and thanks again.
 
@jbrooklyn Hi There, I did a 4 mile ride yesterday and today I hit a wall. I am totally exhausted. Am going to lay off the bike for a week or so. My OS also said that the remodeling and metabolic changes are also occurring during the day but because we are mentally and physically busy we don't notice it anywhere near as much.

My night aches have really subsided, quite mysteriously but now I notice other weird feelings, such as my knee feels kind of rubber like and pains elsewhere in the leg, maybe nerves refiring.

Lots of time to run, which is much tougher on the knees than biking, but it looks to be in your future. :running:
 
@metalheart just wanted to tell you I did a 4 mile ride yesterday on a rails to trails bike path and hit the wall today. My knee is fine but I am exhausted. I think like you I am going to cutback for a week or so.
 
That really makes sense (that you are wiped out), and you're wise to take the long view and give yourself a rest before pressing on. One advantage of having done athletics is that you know there is an ebb and flow of energy, and you recognize the messages your body gives you when you need to lay off, and when you need to press forward. Recovering from this is going to be 1 step forward, 1 step back, 2 forward, one back, 3 forward, 2 back, and variations on that theme--gradual steady improvement with many dips along the way. Patience is a virtue I've never claimed in spades. Ah well, we can be patient for each other!

And it seems that when you get used to a certain ache or sensation, it goes away or subsides, or gets drowned out by others. I do indeed notice the achy stuff whenever I'm not up and moving around. It is so strange that I can walk a couple miles with no pain at all, and when I sit down, my knees start grumbling quite loudly--not from the walk, but from the sitting or lying down. Just bending my knee a bit more or less can be so ouchy I have to do it with my hands, manually, instead of using knee muscles. Weird and not uplifting, to have this experience! But at any rate, may you be done with the night aches for a good while, or for all time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom