TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

I was just having a digital conversation with @jbrooklyn about ice vs heat and while posting I realized how sore my whole body is because I haven't been able to really exercise for 7 weeks. Seems I am always lying down to ice, apply heat, or work on my laptop.

I made a massage appointment for next week but I am a bit worried that might not be good for my knee. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get rid of all the overall body stiffness caused by lack of exercise? I am afraid of hut tub germs but that sure would feel good.
 
As long as your incision is healed, a massage will not be a problem. Be sure to let them know that your TKR is recent. You can do a few gentle body stretches for your overall stiffness. Some PBS stations have exercise classes for seniors like "Sit and be Fit" that should be OK for you at this stage of recovery.
Call your OS office and ask when you can go in a hot tub, if your incision is healed, no scabs, you should be fine. If you do not like hot tubs in general because of the germs then skip it.
 
@Wanttobebiking, I find strolling/walking keeps away the aches from being entirely sedentary. I live in NYC, a city of walkers, and before surgery, even when it hurt, I walked at least a couple of miles every day, and often more. Still doing that. In fact, my daughter just got a fitbit, and we've spent a couple days together, and it turns out we are walking 5-6 miles a day without thinking about it. Not winning any speed races, mind you . . . but walking is an excellent low-intensity way to keep moving and prevent those couch potato aches.

And, ice helps most when there is swelling. Heat can help when there is tightness but no swelling. I think that is the consensus.

I wish I liked biking as much as you do! You'll definitely be back at it within a few months. I'm a long-time distance runner, fearing that my one way to keep in shape is now behind me. People say just do this or that instead, but I started running at 14, and kept going till I was forced to stop by arthritis, and man, it took a big chunk out of me to stop. Happy for you that you will be able to do the workouts that give you joy!
 
@jbrooklyn
Five to six miles a day! I am astounded!!!

I have a garmin vivovit and I am averaging 5000 steps or a little over 2 miles a day. I think I will pick it up a bit.

Sorry to hear your true sport was running. My bonus daughter is a two time ironmam finisher. I am sure it is a tough loss for you to accept.
 
I did it. I got on my bike and rode it around the neighborhood for about a mile with no pain.

It was second nature getting on, getting off, getting started. Now I can quit worrying. Question for @referee54 and @Roy Gardiner or @Clipless : how do I pace myself going forward? We are going to to take our bikes to an actual paved bike trail tomorrow and I am thinking 5 miles would be a good benchmark. My husband is trying to reign me in a bit, but that seems doable to me. Thoughts?

Monday I will be 8 weeks post-op. Also when should I move these questions to the bike club thread?
 
Congratulations, and you are doing great! The only "rule" I've heard is common sense: if a particular exercise causes additional pain or swelling stop and back off for a while.

I was slow to regain the flexion necessary for comfortable pedaling, therefore it took me significantly longer (than some) to ride without pain. I even had shorter cranks installed on my mountain bike- a change I do not regret.

I don't know what the terrain is like where you live, but I'd stick to flat and easy until about six months post op, then gradually increase distance and elevation. Maybe touch base with your OS about this.
 
Not a big hot tub fan, but love my hot bathes--soothes the sciatica and all the other aches. As soon as my wound healed I was trying to get in the bathtub. Used a little stool that collapsed when you pulled up the handle in the middle, put it at the back of the tub, sat on it, sooched off into the water, then pull up the stool and enjoyed my bath. Getting out I did the process in reverse.
 
Good for you! How far have you ridden since the surgery? Five miles could take a half hour or longer. You don't want to be president of the ODIC.
 
Thrilled for you--back on your bike! You will be able to build up the miles, but feel it out and take it slow. One odd feature of tkr recovery is that something can feel okay in the moment and then later you realize it was too much because you have swelling and pain--so paying attention to your body in the moment is not a perfect guide. Maybe try 3, 5, 7, etc. feeling it out along the way, including how you feel in the next 1-2 days. Really happy you're biking again. Three cheers for you!
 
@Kssii
Hey, thanks for the tips on getting into the bath. I do have a similar collapsable stool. I have not tried a bath yet because it is a bit scary to me, but then again everything after TKR seems to be a challenge, or shall I say daunting. As soon as I surmount one hurdle, another stares me in the face.

I have been meaning to ask you about that washcloth behind the knee stretch. When I try it with a washcloth rolled up, the washcloth always falls out. I try a bigger towel, which is uncomfortable and falls out as well. Is there a trick to it? My ROM is 130 now so you would think some sort of towel would work.
 
LOL! I know what you mean about everything being a daunting! I started my bathes in the smaller tub in main bathroom--it isn't very deep or wide and is longer than the one in the master bath which is quite deep and shorter so I needed a better ROM to get into it. Actually the master tub daunted me BEFORE my knee surgery--but oh so wonderful once you are in it! As to knee exercise--don't know why the towel should fall out, but if your ROM is 130 you probably don't need to be doing it anyway. Only reason my PT suggested the wash cloth is because I had a pinching feeling at the back of the knee while doing it. (swelling? baker's cyst?)
 
I have been meaning to ask you about that washcloth behind the knee stretch. When I try it with a washcloth rolled up, the washcloth always falls out. I try a bigger towel, which is uncomfortable and falls out as well. Is there a trick to it? My ROM is 130 now so you would think some sort of towel would work.
Since your ROM Is already at 130, you don't need to do that exercise anyway.
 
Thank you to eveyone who replied to my biking question, especially you @Clipless as I know you have a lot on your plate. Here is what I decided to do: scrap the bike trail for now because it will entice me to ride farther; ride a one-mile loop around my house where the terrain is very flat and I am never more than 0.5 miles from home; each time I pass the house decide whether my knee wants me to stop; ride every other day at most; and increase the number of loops very gradually. In other word reign myself back for awhile. I think planning for 5 miles was a little aggressive to start. What does it really matter how quickly I can really ride again? At least now I know I can do it.
 
That plan sounds wise. It will help ensure you're confident you can enjoy the bike trail when you do decide to go.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Very smart plan. All this talk about bike riding makes me want to try it. I have a pretty good beach bike in my garage. Would need to be fluffed up quite a bit, but might start looking into refurbishing it. For next Spring, since I am getting my LTKR done Oct. 1, and will once again be down for the count. But am looking forward so much to kayaking next Summer, and would love to bike as well.
 
Hey @Slainte , I see you are from Florida. My husband and I have a condo in Redington Beach, which gives me the best of the beach and the wonderful world of snow. We are kind of reverse snowbirds. Spent June in Florida and I kayaked in Fort DeSoto with my grandkids. Could barely get into the kayak due to my knees and wouldn't even try it now. I wonder if anyone knows how much ROM one needs to use an ocean kayak? It's the getting in and out that it the hard part, but I tend to be a bit of a worrier. Before I try kayaking again, though, I have to get back on the curling rink and cross-country ski slopes. Everything seems so daunting these days, and I know I am really doing well. If I don't run across you again prior to your surgery, good luck!
 
I had a hobie mirage outback kayak. Sit-on-top kayak that had pedals instead of paddles. My knee did not like the pedaling, but going to buy a new one just like it next year. Am trying to talk my husband into getting one also, else he will whine when I desert him for the water every weekend! Not nearly so hard to get into a sit-on-top. Plus it has a seat you can raise a bit and an H-bar that you can pull yourself to a standing position with. Also can attach a sail, an electric motor, a solar panel... It is the Swiss army knife of kayaks!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom