Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

I read about your trip on another thread - sounds wonderful. I have been to only one of those countries - Finland and we loved it. Actually we were there in January (for a cat show, specialty show for the Siberian Cat which we used to breed) and people thought we were crazy going in January - but hey, Minnesotans, right! It reminded me so much of Minnesota - especially the slightly hilly area between the Cities and Cannon Falls. Big difference was everyone walked a lot more, of course.

Have a great trip! Hoping to get to where I can comfortably fit my leg in a regular airline seat so I can travel again!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charmed-life We went to Finland and Norway 3 years ago to celebrate my 60th and my husband has been wanting to go back to Finland. Estonia, Russia, and Iceland will be new for us.

I'm not that big at 5'4" and I worry about the leg space on planes these days. My ROM is good but I still think the long flight and small space could cause issues for both of my knees.

I got a Synvisc shot in my non-TKR knee Tuesday, which has never bothered me before but today I am icing that knee because it swelled a bit after the injection! ☹️ So I have been laid up since then, and I was headed for a new record on my monthly step count. Oh well, just hoping the swelling subsides quickly.

The arthritis in both of my knees is the result of sporting accidents, skiing and softball. I was really sad to read that you will likely not be able to bike again. That said, there are lots of other fun, active things to do.

I used to be a vet tech before I became a journalist, so hey Finland during cross-country ski season for a cat show makes perfect sense to me.
 
I have officially passed the one-year mark. My surgery was July 13, 2016. It is a nice milepost to have behind me. All in all, I am doing great. I walk for miles without pain. I cross-country ski. I bike 25-plus miles. And all without pain. I have only two minor issues, my knee sometimes clicks going upstairs, and I have "discomfort" in a very localized spot descending stairs that are higher than 6 inches. I saw my OS and PA together yesterday. My OS was late, so the PA came in to say "hi." He was sitting in the surgeon's chair. My OS came in and just sat on the floor because his chair was occupied. Seemed odd, having him sit on the floor to examine my knee. He's a nice guy and I guess he didn't want to pull rank on the PA. The upshot of all of this is that my x-rays show no issues, alignment is great and patella is tracking fine. During the exam, he said he couldn't feel anything abnormal. I have decided I can live with the discomfort if need be. However, my OS suggested putting my quad strength through a series of tests and then going through a more specialized PT program to strength it if that is needed. I think I will do it. If I can overcome this last hurdle, I might just have my right knee done in a year or so (assuming I can wait that long).

Yesterday, I revisited the journal I kept right after surgery. In some ways I had a nearly idyllic recovery, if that can be said about recovery. I showed steady progress all the way along, until I hit the stairs. I was on my bike outside at 8 weeks, taking mile-plus walks at six weeks, but then recovery slowed for me. Patience is not my strong suit. The best advice I have for anyone going through this surgery is to be patient and have faith that your knee will improve. In fact, my knee feels nearly normal now. I have no numbness, no pain (only a small area of discomfort going down high stairs), and my function is nearly 100 percent. It takes time, but it comes.

Hang in there.
 
Congratulations on your anniversary. We shared the same surgery date but I went back to square one in March with a revision. This time I've been progressing well and I'm working on catching up with everyone who haf their TKR last July.
 
@Wanttobebiking - Congratulations on the one year, knee sister! :yay: (Can you believe it's been that long for both of us??) I think your recovery was beyond idyllic.. I think it was awesome! You go girl!! :D I haven't done cross country skiing, nor bicycling.. (the stationary one even bothers my "other" knee.) I'm just happy I can walk at my usual gate with no limp (no pain)... and can walk on a downhill slope without excruciating pain - in fact no any... !! I am SOOO very happy to hear your update! We'll see how our "other" knees do.. Maybe we can be knee sisters squared.. :heehee: Take care, my friend!
 
Glad things are going so well for you!

[Bonesmart.org] Over doing or not doing enough?
 
That's great news! I complained about the pain on descending stairs and my OS told me they'd discuss options if it got worse or didn't continue to improve. Since I don't have to see them again for a year, I am to call them if I think I need to be seen. I guess the upshot is that the pain has limited to steps that are steep or deep. I kid you not, I found myself bounding down my front steps the other day. It was glorious.
 
@Braunzie I read you had a layover in Minneapolis. You should have looked me up. We could have toasted our 1-year old knees! Let me know when you pick the date for knee two. Seems we are the good luck twins.

@hawk2go so glad you bounded down the steps. I know this last issue will be gone soon. And I am very grateful for how well our recoveries have gone. Stay in touch.
 
@Wanttobebiking - I will next time I'm out in that direction.. (but don't hold your breath.. :heehee: ).... But.. same goes for you if you're ever out in the Seattle area! :D Date for knee two might be a way out.. I can feel it "talking" to me at times, but for the most part right now, it's behaving.. Of course, never know how long that will last.. :cheers:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom