THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
clifford149 So sorry you are not sleeping well Things should hopefully things will get better when your restrictions are lifted I get an occasional sleepless night and its not pleasant I just read a chapter then try again I'm sure I read somewhere that a turkey sandwich on white bread aids sleep but you have probably already tried those type of measures.The visit to the garden centre sounds good but its too cold again We had a snow storm again this morning and it is too cold to go outside again I try to look on the bright side in that by the time the Gulf Stream moves North and we finally get some good weather we will be feeling stronger and will be able to really enjoy the great outdoors. I hope you sleep well tonight
 
Ok, clifford149 , when you say garden centre, you must mean something entirely else than I mean LOL. I mean a place where you can buy plants and yard/garden related stuff. No pie or tea of any sort. The botanical gardens have tea houses and snack bars and restaurants, but The Great Big Greenhouse is all about getting you to spend alot of moolah on plants, trees, grass seed, and patio furniture! LOL
My grandmother used to say "lemon 'me-rang' pie"....was yours a typo or an intentional funny? :) Anyway, I know you enjoyed it! :)
 
zauberflöte we are very fancy in the UK dontcha know :) Many of our garden centres have a little tea area and if we are lucky enough to get nice warm weather we can sit outside to enjoy our cuppa and a scone etc.

Clifford, sorry to hear you are still having problems with sleeping. Do you prop up your back at all at night? It is so difficult when we are forced to sleep on our backs all night. How much longer until your restrictions a lifted?

Your trip to the garden centre sounds lovely, so good to hear you had an enjoyable outing.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Kim22....zauberflöte.....Anniepops......and hippie friends.....who would have guessed there would be cultural differences with garden centres?.....apart from eating and drinking we did buy some plants with names I cannot spell.....on...off sleep again but at least I did get some sleep...the worst is the all night wide awake night!....I shall try turkey sandwich and propping up as other solutions....I have two weeks left of restrictions although that is an arbitrary number.....the concern is dislocation but I guess one can overly worry as the rate is less than 5%....its raining today and cold in the UK....will get up early and do some work email etc

I wonder why the anterior approach appears to have no or few restrictions and why the UK appears to do very little anterior...when I think Josephine indicated the approach was pioneered in the UK?
 
clifford149 Good morning glad you got some sleep last night I've been wondering about the same thing Why doesn't anyone offer the anterior approach ? Practice in the NHS is regulated by NICE guidelines but I haven't heard of anyone having it done in the private sector either Correct me if I am wrong on that anyone please It's interesting that when I had my pre op and asked about the anterior approach the nurse told me that there was a surgeon back in the seventies who used to do them. I think it is a training issue as well as apparently from what I have read the surgeon needs to have done many of these procedures to become skilled and nobody want to be part of his learning curve do they ?
 
Hi Kim22.....my os co-authored a paper a couple of years ago where the same surgeon did x number of posterior and x number of anterior and the compared recoveries and they found no medium to long term benefits between the two procedures except that anterior was more complex but more muscle saving.... The conclusion was stick with the posterior as there is less time required for training and the os can move up the learning curve more quickly thus cheaper a prerequisite for nhs procedures....well that's my final inference.....I am guessing that in the USA....some surgeons will specialise in anterior because of the short term benefits and minimal restrictions as a marketing tool to gain more clients....well that's my best guess?
 
clifford149 I think you're right about gaining more clients by offering a procedure with tangible benefits to the patient at any time in the healing process. Take the "old" vs the "new" approaches to C-section-- nobody at all does vertical any more that i've heard, they all do "bikini". But here, of course, surgeons have to generate their own income (I know, there's insurance to figure in, but if you don't get any patients, you don't get any money, period!). Then, of course, us citizens have to think about who benefits from remaining with the posterior approach? Well, the durable medical supply companies, of course! So i am very very sure that there is a lobby in Washington (DC) to make it harder for the anterior to be provided! Money is boss, and companies which see their income dwindling b/c some smart-aleck surgeon is doing a method that sells less walkers, foam wedges, and potty seats are not going to sit still for that! {parse that sentence if you will! LOL LOL}

I'm glad you got some sleep-- it will come along better, I'm sure.
 
Hi zauberflöte.....that is a very interesting USA perspective.....ultimately in the USA from a patient comfort point of view the anterior approach looks more appealing. And if it means more os skills the better in a way....however with so many thousands of operations that need tone performed each year...the posterior I guess is the most efficient....as a UK NHS patient there is no cost to me except I have paid tax for the last 40 years some of which pays for the service
 
I will add an interesting perspective Cllifford. I went to a teaching hospital in St. Louis for my surgery, has a very good national reputation. My surgeon does both procedures. I had posterior - spoke to the patient after me and she had anterior. I did ask the surgeon why I had posterior. He said "In your situation I needed room to work." He did say my situation was advanced and the bone had penetrated the hip socket. Nurse told me later they needed a chisel to break the femur away from the hip. I was also placed on 50% weight bearing because they said the femur was a little soft. I am very glad to have picked the one who trains others.
 
Hi Duffer71......wow some surgery...I bet your pleased to have got it done.....its great you had a surgeon competent at both procedures
It goes to show that different approaches suit different contexts and so we cannot say one is better than the other...congrats again you must give us all a progress report
 
Came home day after surgery four weeks ago today. I have reached the scary part wear things feel really good. I need to remind myself to follow my precautions.
 
Hi Duffer71....of course we are similar times I am 4 weeks tomorrow...I also know the feeling about all feeling good...maybe too good....today I am finding I can weight bear quite well without sticks....but I am not taking any chances
Just keeping up my exercise routines...I have cut down on the reps but increased the frequency...I have my second pt session tomorrow am going to ask if I can try a stationary cycle machine.....:)
 
Hi hippies.....its my 4th week hip birthday ....had my 2nd pt session...all went well
need to do step exercises to strengthen further the hip....otherwise 2 more week then see
My os assistant apparently quite common in the UK
Not to see your os unless the surgery was complex mine was classified as standard normal :)...then hopefully relax some of the restrictions....
 
clifford149 good report on 4th birthday! here we have "Physician's Assistants" which is a whole separate degree program, I imagine. All my drs have them, and I love them all-- they are extremely competent, and often less rushed than the dr him/herself.
 
Hi hippies....now that I 4weeks postop....and not taking medication.....I drove my auto car today....my op leg is the left and therefore plays no role in driving......well I am based in the UK where we all drive on the correct side of the road :)
 
clifford149 What a great report on your progress at the 4 week stage I also drive an automatic but I had my right side done so its going to take me a bit longer You are doing great with the exercises and I don't think it will be too much longer before you ditch your walking aid either. That will be another red letter day.
 
Hi Kim22......that's so tough....you have got the right car but they did the wrong hip.....get a ticket to the USA....no point going to Australia as they also drive on the correct side.....:). :). :).

PS where is your picture....is it corfe castle?
 
No it's Lindisfarne or Holy Island off the North Northumberland coast, Its one of my very favourite places to walk and very close to our holiday caravan. I choose it for inspiration as I am really looking forward to getting back to walking there this summer. I had 2 and a half years of not being able to walk with the exception of 1 month when I had a cortisone injection which gave me my life back but it obviously didn't last.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom