Guest viewing is limited

THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi hippies....today is 9 months postop...doesent time fly!....saw one of my medical team last week and the were happy with my progress....I am nearly fully flexible ...I was told to expect to lose a few degrees of freedom...but I don't need to do the splits :)

So apart from a few other aches and pains all is well....thanks for your support everyone....will report again in 12!
 
Hi Clifford Great report on your fabulous progress but by my recollection you are only 8 months LOL
 
Great to hear clifford149,
It seems another world doesn't it! We are very lucky yo have had a seamless recovery it seems! Like you I am powering along. Now able to get up and down off the floor for pilates, walk anywhere....in other words enjoy life to the fullest!
My check up is at 12 months...last one was at 6 weeks so don't know what the medics think. I only remember the hardware when lying on that side at pilates on a thin mat and a hard floor. Need a rolled up towel underneath as the metal sticks out and it's not very comfortable.
As the saying here goes..."First world problem!" :dancy:
 
Great news!
9 months eh? I guess it does take time, I foolishly thought I'd be fully recovered quicker than that, but I guess we just need a little patience!
Really please you're doing so well though.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Dear Hippies

its my birthday today well for my hip....yes one year today...time flies when you are enjoying yourself! Hard to believe this time last year there was snow around would I be able to get to the hospital there was a possibility of a cancellation etc. I dident feel nervous just pleased my time had arrived. I was one of those hippies that was getting by with pain management ok then one day a step change in the pain and my mobility and the rest is now history.

Any tips: well do your exercises and pain relief religiously...although sleeping is likely to be a problem it will all normally get better within 4 - 6 weeks...if you have precautions make sure you keep to them...in doubt about anything use the forum and also get professional advice asap.

If you suffer from any arthritis in your hands try walking aids that have an elbow rest I had normal and it has left me with more thumb joints!

In terms of my current lifestyle its largely back to normal although Iam trying to monitor and keep on top of weight gain...xtra weight is not kind to joints so I find the 5+ 2 day plan works quite well eg two lo calorie days..then eat normally it results for me a slow but useful weight loss. I walk the dog daily but not too far as I have a weak right leg (I tire sky by getting her to chase after a frisbe) and I swim 2 - 3 times a week most types of style for around 30 minutes then I get bored.

In terms of limitations I can do everything in terms of shoe laces, bring my knee up to my chest although I can sense a slight reduction in terms of the degrees of freedom. Iam also aware that the soft tissue around the joint is more susceptible to strain and that my gluteal muscles can tire slightly earlier when walking up a slope....but all this is 'small beer' compared to the past. I have no compunction to take up racket sports which I stopped playing a few years ago...I want this hip to last with the minimal chance of hip injury. Having said that I slipped off the second rung of a short ladder.. fell onto my feet... then down... not at all heavily and yet all was well...no pain etc.

So a big thanks to the team that run BS and the various hipsters who were around last year @Kim22 @Audball @sansabosa @zauberflöte (where are you) @ByGosh @Firebrand @Duffer71 @Maeve @octopus @sandybeach

I shall end this report with a 'tin of Plums'
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @clifford149 great to hear from you again and that your life is so much better for having the hip replacement.I remember the snow last year which seemed to go on forever but at least we had a great summer to make up for it.I also remember feeling the same as you in the run up to surgery ie. not too phased by it and just so glad that my time had come and in my case that I managed to shake off a pesky cold with just a day or two to spare.You have given some good advice to the newbies on the forum, by the way.

I am so glad that you are able to walk Skye every day as I remember how difficult it was for you and her in those early days when it wasn't an option so I bet she just loves chasing the frisby too.I don't think that @ByGosh or @zauberflöte have been on this site since about October which is such a shame as they were so friendly and supportive and they are a big miss.I would love to hear from them again and wish them well.I am sure they would have something to say about your tin of plums !

My situation is unchanged I am waiting for a cortisone injection in to the psoas tendon but the NHS waiting list here is now 4 months which is ridiculous as I only had to wait 3 months for the hip replacement so as I don't want to waste anymore of my life I have decided to cough up the £450 to have it done privately.Of course it may not work but I have to give it a try and the sooner the better.

Take care Clifford and keep us posted on your progress.Regards Kim
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@clifford149 So glad to hear you are doing well. My birthday/anniversary date is approaching also Aprill 11th. Best decision I've made in my life! Kim is right about the advise given to newbies and don't forget the tin of plums.
@Kim22 I am sorry to hear you are still dealing with your psoas tendon, I was in hopes that it had healed. Let us know how the shot goes for you. I have noticed not many of the hippies of 2013 post like we did, but I do come back and read. Give my advice if needed. Take care Cliff and Kim!
 
@clifford149

Hi Clifford

So nice to read that you are also celebrating your first year post-op pain free and happy.

I'm so glad that all is on track and all those painful days before the op is a history.

Take care and lets meet again at the 2nd year.

Best regards,

Selin
 
@clifford149 Nice to read that you are doing so well on your first anniversary. Your posts were very helpful to me in the days after surgery. Best wishes for another good year.
 
Hi @clifford149 ,
So good to see your post! Happy Birthday to your hip! Sounds like you are doing well. Seems like a lifetime ago and I will also reach the 1 year mark on 5 April.Can't believe it! A different universe!
Life is fantastic as one of the lucky hippies for me..haven't looked back, almost like I was never born with dysplasia and the op plus leg lengthening plus femur repositioning are just a memory for me.
I put it all down to a skilled surgeon, intensive rehab, committed exercise since then and a positive attitude.
BUT!!! The key in the early recovery days was Bonesmart and the wonderful support, guidance and advice from all my fellow hippies and I thank you all!
Best of luck @clifford149 for continued good health and happiness. Life is VERY good from here!
 
@clifford149 here I am! I was waiting for that tin of plums before I posted. I am glad to hear you are doing so well, and that Skye is happy frisbee-chasing. I gained 20 lbs....much of it is gone, but I still have to keep the activity level way up :) And the food clean and healthy, of course :)

@Kim22 wow, I am sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope the injection clears everything up!!!! I will have to stop by your thread. I am not able to spend much time here, life took over LOL.

@Liveringer hey there! HOw was last season, and how is this one going?

@sansabosa good to see you here, @LeeApril26 ditto. And @Maeve -- I have to tell you, I was tracking your holiday last summer in my mind, eagerly pretending it was me on that trip!!

One day at a time, I can visit everybody's thread once before the next year is up, right? :yes: :wave:

Tin o' Plums, chris
 
Hi @clifford149 and @zauberflöte You will find the tin of plums on Bygosh's thread I posted it this morning.I will definitely eat those instead of nasty prunes when I finally get the left one done.
 
@zauberflöte Last season went well, this season is better. You are right life has a tendenacy to take over. But glad I had this site to come to before and after surgery.
 
How time does fly!

I missed @clifford149 wonderful one year update - thanks Clifford, and the warm, humorous chats about the "plums".

Long may your bionic hip serve you well Cliff and keep enhancing in your life :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom