THR op/post op since 13 march

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...ooooops....thanks for your advice will moderate.....the leg has become quite strong again particularly the quads And glutes....that you can forget
That i have had major surgery.....what is strange is that apart from knee pain at night I don't have a sense that I have had major surgery?

I have had quite a lot of leg ops in my teens...spending...a couple of weeks in hospital etc....yet this op is completely different....I guess things have changed radically in the last 40 years....:)
 
clifford149 well I was going to congratulate you on your clams, but I see that moderation is key :) Good for you on the unaided walking inside! I hope warm weather gets to you soon.
You know-- I have never seen rugby football played. All I know about it is from the old comic strip (American I think) Andy Capp.
 
Hi .....its my new hip's 3 week birthday.... :flwrysmile: my report:

1.using one crutch in doors with the occasional unaided with crutches outdoors
2. Thigh muscle tone back to normal
3. No observable swelling
4. Meds reduced by 50%
5. Exercise routine 5 - 6 sessions a day..isometrics + 5-10 minutes aided walking
6. Sleeping is still fragmented waking every 90+ minutes due to stiff knee
7. ITB is sore to a firm touch but not painful when I move the leg

So I guess reasonable progress with the help and support from you all......thanks clifford :puppysmooze:
 
clifford149 I like your little lists :) It really sounds like you are progressing forward very nicely! I'm sorry about the sleep issue, that can put a damper on your whole day/mood/everything, can't it?
 
You are doing well! Sometimes it feels like one is inching forward but when looking back, lots of progress.
 
Hi Duffer71,zauberflöte......inching forward is a great description.....for maybe all of us to be laid up weeks at a time often with restrictions progress feels like inches and sometimes its a few inches forward and then a few back :(

But imagine what it must have been like for before the 1960's when this procedure was pioneered people must have really suffered....
 
I have wondered the same thing. It is hard to imagine dealing with the hip pain knowing that nothing likely could be done for it. We are fortunate for the improvements in medicine. I would suppose that in 40 years people will look back and wonder how we went through this.
 
anybody remember the hilarious hospital scene in the Star Trek movie that was set in the "past", the 70's? Bones calls the surgery techniques barbaric. I think I will watch that movie post op LOL.
 
clifford149 Well done Clifford you are really moving forwards Do you have to go back to work soon ?
 
:)
zauberflöte Well the Tour Guide stressed how unusual it was to see so many whales all at once She was so enthusiastic about it and the American people on the boat couldn't believe it either but I didn't appreciate how lucky we were. It was wonderful and it was my husbands lifetime ambition to see whales in the wild as well as attending an American football game He follows the Superbowl on TV In October 2010 we saw the New York Giants play at New Meadowlands I even enjoyed the occasion even though I don't care for football American or our own home grown soccer Both my husband and son are fanatics and support Newcastle United

Yeay Kim.....howay the toon.......

Wowza 100 reps of clam shells clifford, why would you even want to do that many.lol. They are very tedious methinks but I agree they do work. Great to see you continue to do really well
 
Yes indeed howay the toon !
 
Hi hippy friends.....I managed to sleep for 5 hours and then was able to continue more lightly for two hours ( well with the help of a sleeping pill....I have only taken 3 in 3 weeks)...then strangely I have spent the rest of the day feeling tired... loss of appertite.
I have felt a lack of enthusiasm....the good thing for today was that it has got warmer...so hopefully next week I can get out...I guess a form of cabin fever without the fever....clifford
 
clifford149 I am also experiencing cabin fever Can't wait to be able to drive and to get out and do more normal things The problem is hat I don't see my OS until almost 10 weeks post surgery which means even longer with the restrictions Cannot see him earlier as he is on holiday Had a drive out with my husband, daughter and grandson yesterday and hoping to get out tomorrow for another drive if weather as nice as today
 
Hi Kim22. Well done for getting out...what a pain to wait 10 weeks&! My appointment is 6 weeks...so just under 3 to go...I drive an auto and technically I could drive after 4 weeks but getting in and out of a car is not very comfortable....take care Kim keep Spain:) or sane
 
clifford149 well, you got more sleep than I did last night, and it wasn't for lack of trying, either LOL. My regular sleeping pill is 5mg valium at bedtime. makes me not care if I'm awake or asleep for 4 hours, and very drowsy to boot. Probably one cannot take that with percocet, sigh. I'm just going to grin and NAP :)
 
Hi zauberflöte......my sleeping has slightly improved by week 3 to get 3 hours sleep...and the pill extended it to 5 hours...tonight I won't take a pill as I find they become self defeating when I stop taking them after 5 days.....
 
clifford149 , they must have some sort of action where your body rebounds from the sleeping effect of the pill? I hope you get naps during the day-- you sound very strong and well rested on here :)
 
Hi zauberflöte.....the rebound happened last night...did not sleep at all....partly mind fullness...but mainly discomfort from the restrictions but my knee is a lot better...my day today was actually OK whereas yesterday I lacked enthusiasm....today was also sunny and we went out in the afternoon for a couple of hours where I walked around a garden centre with my two crutches...the leg feels slightly stronger...its the ability of the operated leg to take the weight of your body without the pelvis sinking and thus limping...so not there yet which is to be expected...best wishes everone
 
clifford149 the restrictions will be lifted eventually, a few more weeks now? I'm sorry no sleep, but oooh a trip to a garden center, what did you buy???:wink: :SUNsmile: My husband bought dozens of petunias and marigolds to put in his aged mother's little garden, as the weather this week is going to be perfect for her to sit outside on the patio. He had a great time planting them LOL I hope your weather continues spring-like-- you will feel more like going outside, and your body's circadian rhythms will stabilize, perhaps. (=more sleep....)
 
Hi zauberflöte.....I really appreciate your reply....last night was better in the sense I slept woke slept woke .....I can recommend garden centres as a great place to practice walking.....initially practicing in the house is OK....I then progressed to the garden its about 70 feet long but uneven to walk on....while the garden centre nice and flat ....me exercises now involve stepping up onto a book I have placed on the floor with my hand holding onto a desk....I then balance on the operated leg for a short time bearing full weight which is just possible but not for long...I am now in another garden centre having done 15 minutes with my two elbow crutches...which was enough and now rewarding myself with a pot if earl grey tea....and a slice of lemon me range pie....nice...the weather in the UK has got cold again with an easterly wind....maybe spring will come soon ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom